Military Camp

how far forward should you mount a red dot sight?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Just as the title states how far forward should I mount my vortex strikefire 2 on my ar? I have it now basically centered above the ejection port.
    Guns International

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Ok, when you mount a red dot forward, you'll see a smaller circle of view, more of the outside of the sight. (Knobs, mount).

When you mount it somewhat close. The circle views bigger. You see less of the outside of the sight, more of the interior lenses.

You can mount the red dot as far forward as you want. It won't effect aiming. It's really personal preference on the view you see through the sight in relation to where it's mounted.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I also want to add that the part of the rifle that moves the most. Is the muzzle. The rifle pivots on the shoulder. Further out from the shoulder and the movement becomes exacerbated.

For example. If the red for was mounted on the end of the barrel. The dot would dance around prominently more then if it was mounted closer to the pivot point of the shoulder.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I'm all about co witness with my optics so I mount mine to get a full view of my BUIS

It worked fine for my EoTech 512 and my Aimpoint PRO

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    probably not that is why I am asking. It would have to be moved forward and I would not use a magnifier very often. I have yet to buy one but I do know I want one.

Here's a trick to sighting it in without one. Stick one side of binos to the sight and see where the red dot is sitting on the target at 50-75-100 yards.

The dot will look a lot bigger. Once the rounds are hitting the center of the red glow. You're good to go at that range.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Here's a trick to sighting it in without one. Stick one side of binos to the sight and see where the red dot is sitting on the target at 50-75-100 yards.

The dot will look a lot bigger. Once the rounds are hitting the center of the red glow. You're good to go at that range.

I will try it. I just don't want to move the scope until i get a magnifier. It is zeroed nice for close quarters

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I will try it. I just don't want to move the scope until i get a magnifier. It is zeroed nice for close quarters

Then do the same at 20yards. I figured out this trick because I wanted to know where the rounds were hitting within the dot. Your eye centers on the center of the dot. I never really cared for a magnified view. It's a red dot not a scope.

With practice, it's as lethal as a scope at yardage. It's easier to aim. With time it's easily possible to shoot through the skull of a 1# turtle at 20 yards. Thinking afterwards, "How the Hades did I make that shot?"

Through his face, head, looking at a red dot, bang. Reflex. That's less then an inch at 20 yards or right at him.

I'm a big proponent of red dots. It's a marvel of technology.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I mount mine as far forward on the receiver as possible. I don't want it interrupting my field of view.

If you mount it closer, the field of view is more lense then everything around it. Job number one is the red dot on target. You watch the movement of the target as you bring into view the red dot. More lense, less obstruction.

Think of it as standing closer to a window. Across the room you can see some things. Closer you can see more.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    You want the RDS as far forward (towards muzzle) as possible. Usually last slot on the upper if full rail. The idea is to have both eyes open and your mind will merge the field of view, making the optic almost disappear (similar to ghost ring sight) and leaving only the little red dot. That's the idea of unlimited eye relief optics... Now if you put a magnifier you'll have to adjust to where the magnifier is with the eye relief range.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Vec

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 8, 2015
    suburbs
    You want the RDS as far forward (towards muzzle) as possible. Usually last slot on the upper if full rail. The idea is to have both eyes open and your mind will merge the field of view, making the optic almost disappear (similar to ghost ring sight) and leaving only the little red dot. That's the idea of unlimited eye relief optics... Now if you put a magnifier you'll have to adjust to where the magnifier is with the eye relief range

yep, I agree

Top Bottom