The kid don't play
    If there was a problem*
    Yo, I'll solve it

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    The QuickDraw is over rated. A gun already out is quicker than a QuickDraw. Anticipate the problem and then solve it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To some Policemen that might be called brandishing. It's a strange world we carry a gun in.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Yeah maybe to some. I come from the LE side of things and if you knew you were heading into something dangerous the gun was out. Obviously a LTC holder is different but still don't see too many instances where a quickdraw will be the best action to solve the problem. Now getting hits on target particularly when someone shooting back is a good skill to have.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Don't think he's talking about waving a gun around, but paying attention to your surroundings, identifying the need, and not having to scratch at your holster after the other guy's already got his weapon out. I think step 1 should be know the law. Knowing what you can/can't/should/shouldn't do within the law gives you a calmer mindset-you're checking off the requirements to meet the law before you draw-not trying to decide with a gun in your hand. In 8 years of street policing paying attention to my surroundings and knowing where I stood legally made up for the fact that I'm one of the slowest-reacting people I know.

We've got this neat little law in TX, PC 9.04, that covers a lot of situations, like the father in Mansfield who got grabbed up by his shirt and punched. Texas has the most common-sense SD laws I've seen yet. We don't have a law against "brandishing".

Last edited:

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    It would be nice to have a place where one could practice drawing from concealed and hitting a target. Not with toy guns but withbyour own carry gun. Can't practice that. I used to wallet carry in the right rear pocket. Twice a year I'd go to an outdoor range. After setting up my ammo and such I would calmly draw my concealed and empty it into whatever target was left by the guy before me. Following their rules and only double tapping with pauses. Then put it away and shoot the weapons I'd brought to shoot. It was a test. If everything went as expected then that night I'd clean and load fresh ammo. If not I'd find out what went wrong. Not at the range, since I never declared or paid the $10 to shoot the concealed carry. (yes it was CC) Technically I was wrong to do this, but supposedly them being gun people I thought they would understand. They didn't and I have not been back in many years.

Indoor and outdoor ranges I've been to out here don't allow rapid firing, either...one outdoor won't even allow double taps. Doesn't make sense to me. There are laser outfits that you can put into the barrel and practice draw/shoot on an electronic target that can be used at home, but the way they're set up, haven't found one that works rapid fire.

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    I don't see why the OP was dismissed and ridiculed so quickly.

He may have been a little "enthusiastic" but he obviously had a legit "concept" for a thread topic judging from the number of posters dipping their toe in to test it a little bit.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Legit concept, yes. To a point. Speed without accuracy is great for movies. In real life, it will get you hurt or dead.
    My Pop was a real life Vietnam vet. His advice;
    No matter what happens to you, no matter how fast or slow you are, make the first shot count. You may not get a second.
    Never trust the first shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    1.5ish from an OC condition. Concealed is 2.0ish. Sometimes a little less sometimes more. I'm not a quick draw expert, shoot some IDPA/USPSA/Multigun stuff. Could probably be faster if I spent far more time practicing my draws but I do have other things I enjoy doing lol.

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    Legit concept, yes. To a point. Speed without accuracy is great for movies. In real life, it will get you hurt or dead.
    My Pop was a real life Vietnam vet. His advice;
    No matter what happens to you, no matter how fast or slow you are, make the first shot count. You may not get a second.
    Never trust the first shot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    I'm 100% agreement with that but I always really just took it for granted you have to hit it to "stop the timer". I thought every one knew that.

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    1.5ish from an OC condition. Concealed is 2.0ish. Sometimes a little less sometimes more. I'm not a quick draw expert, shoot some IDPA/USPSA/Multigun stuff. Could probably be faster if I spent far more time practicing my draws but I do have other things I enjoy doing lol.

I don't "play" any of the games but I do practice at home on my own range where I can do what ever I want to, when ever I want to. I'll go out and run through 2 or three mags 4 or 5 times a week at least using the shot timer. The biggest thing I've noticed consistently is threads like these are all full of apples oranges and even a few pineapples.

Unless everyone posting is talking the same rule playing the same games it's a pretty ridiculous question with JUST the information posted in the OP. My own "times" can be double or more if I'm comparing my very first shots of the session from a hands up start to the very next mag if I'm waiting for the timer with my hand on pistol in the holster or a half second more with just my hands straight down and a cover untucked t-shirt.

What I've learned more than anything is finding my own, "la la la just wandering through Walmart, normal like every one else drawing no attention but all the time ready as batman..."

Consistency and defensive protection cover of your weapon from a grab and still not look like Rambo on the prowl AND perform the task that motivated to visit the Mao Mart cesspool in the first place are my key concerns.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I'm 100% agreement with that but I always really just took it for granted you have to hit it to "stop the timer". I thought every one knew that.
    I don't worry about timers. Distraction to doing it correctly and making the first shot count. Speed will follow.
    No matter how much you practice, not everyone will be a Cisco.
    Fast is fine. Accurate is final.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    And you base that on what practical experience or research?

Dude, if you are gonna call me out, at least have the courtesy to reply after I answer your question or maybe discuss why you disagree with my post.
    Here, I will help you out - Why do you think a QuickDraw is better than being aware, seeing the threat beforehand, and having your gun out already to solve the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Dude, if you are gonna call me out, at least have the courtesy to reply after I answer your question or maybe discuss why you disagree with my post.
    Here, I will help you out - Why do you think a QuickDraw is better than being aware, seeing the threat beforehand, and having your gun out already to solve the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    At what point, prior to any contact, or seeing any weapons, is it legal to pull out your weapon?

Top Bottom