• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    I don't worry about timers. Distraction to doing it correctly and making the first shot count. Speed will follow.
    No matter how much you practice, not everyone will be a Cisco.
    Fast is fine. Accurate is final.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk
    Unless you are dead last.

Like it or not, I'm not all that 24/7, 360 degree awareness guy any more. Sure it's good to see the truck coming but not everybody does. This makes me think there is at least as good a chance it will boil down to a "race" I don't want to lose and I'm going to give my self all the head start I can get.

I don't want to be trying it all out for the first time with everything on the line.

I KNOW for a fact if I've got my hand on my gun I've got at least a half sec head start over any where else my hand could be, I won't know if I'll need it or not. Hope I never have to find out. If I've got my gun out in my hand I KNOW I've got way better than a half second head start over just having my hand on it. I KNOW exactly how close I need to be and how long it takes me to double tap a head and how much quicker I can get two in the chest at 5 yards, 10 yards, and 25 yards.

I'm not saying I'm fast, I never even made a comment other than to say I know what I can do and how different situations affect BOTH sides of my own competency level. Throw down a few common situations and I think I'll have a pretty fair idea if it will be more risky for me to wait/maneuver or get it done before things get worse.

A timer takes the guess work out of "well it's probably good enough". At least the guess work on my own side of the equation. Learned a few things since I got this timer thing I never even knew I didn't know.
    ad in under a second at 10 feet easy if I've got my
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I did 4 years in the Military and 21 years on a local Department. Not once were we trained in quick draw. As with civilian ranges it was not allowed. Yet you can be sure I had practiced quick draw with those Level III holsters we were required to use. Even the tag on a new holster stated a minimum of 500 draws from the Safariland version before use. Muscle memory could clear leather quite fast but (thank God) I never found out if I could hit anything afterwards. Maybe once or twice I got to stand in the woods alone and shoot at a man sized tree from waist level, but that was about it for a city boy.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    At what point, prior to any contact, or seeing any weapons, is it legal to pull out your weapon?

Uh, I think you answered your own question. Let's see, you have no contact and you don't see a weapon, hence you do not draw or QuickDraw your gun.

Surviving an assault is not a duel. Should you be able to draw relatively quickly? Sure you should but I contend being aware of what is going on around you can buy you more time to solve your issue. Or how about this example - you are robbed at knifepoint, if you think a QuickDraw will solve your problem over attacking the arm with the knife, you are probably gonna get stabbed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Uh, I think you answered your own question. Let's see, you have no contact and you don't see a weapon, hence you do not draw or QuickDraw your gun.

Surviving an assault is not a duel. Should you be able to draw relatively quickly? Sure you should but I contend being aware of what is going on around you can buy you more time to solve your issue. Or how about this example - you are robbed at knifepoint, if you think a QuickDraw will solve your problem over attacking the arm with the knife, you are probably gonna get stabbed.

Then I'm confused, I was asking the question due to you stating this...

"Here, I will help you out - Why do you think a QuickDraw is better than being aware, seeing the threat beforehand, and having your gun out already to solve the problem?"

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Then I'm confused, I was asking the question due to you stating this...

?"

Hard to discuss tactics with only words on a forum. The OP mentioned a "QuickDraw" and honestly out of all the times I had to draw my gun (it was a lot), I can't think of a time when shaving a quarter sec. would make a difference. If you are gaming then yeah sure, but that wasn't the OP's subject.

If people here want to practice to cut their time than hey more power to you. I am simply saying that IMHO based on my experience (since txinv asked), there are much more practical and valuable tactics to practice. I can repeat the smooth is fast mantra but then that really doesn't explain much but hey, it sounds cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I'm not agreeing, or disagreeing with anyone, and have never practiced quick draw myself.
    I just wanted to know how one can have their gun out legally before anything has happened, which is what you claim is the quickest way to go about things.

In your words...
    "seeing the threat beforehand, and having your gun out already to solve the problem."

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    I'm not agreeing, or disagreeing with anyone, and have never practiced quick draw myself.
    I just wanted to know how one can have their gun out legally before anything has happened, which is what you claim is the quickest way to go about things.

In your words...
    "seeing the threat beforehand, and having your gun out already to solve the problem."

Seeing the threat beforehand means just that. I think you are trying to assign more meaning to it. When does a "quickdraw" come into play? A duel (which we already mentioned doesn't apply when defending from an assault) and possibly a close contact distance? If close contact is introducing a gun to your assailant via a quickdraw the best tactic? I guess you better have practiced a lot. I am saying being aware of what is happening around you buys you enough time to draw and fire once you see the threat. I will say it again, the "quickdraw" is over rated (almost a mystical skill in today's arena) and it seems to limit your options to strictly a handgun which for close contact assaults is really not the best tool to use (IMHO for txinv). Once again, I'm not saying you don't need to practice drawing from the holster and hitting your target. I'm just saying it doesn't have to be as "quick" as some in this thread think it needs to be. Bottom line is you want to be fast as long as you get hits on target.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I just didn't realize it was legal to have your gun out before anything had happened yet.
    This is what I interpret as "beforehand".

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex

In your words...
    Maybe the poster just walks around with his gun out...;)

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    I just didn't realize it was legal to have your gun out before anything had happened yet.
    This is what I interpret as "beforehand".
    If I see someone ELSE with a gun out... I'm going to at least get itchy about it.
    If someone THREATENS ME I'm going to make sure I can get my gun out before they can.
    If I see someone robbing the car ahead of me at a light...

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    If I see someone ELSE with a gun out... I'm going to at least get itchy about it.
    If someone THREATENS ME I'm going to make sure I can get my gun out before they can.
    If I see someone robbing the car ahead of me at a light...
    Of course, but all of that is "after something has happened".

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Of course, but all of that is "after something has happened".

You want to see what is happening before it happens to you might be a better way to splain it. If you are surprised it is happening to you then you are already behind the curve. Will a QuickDraw work? I guess it could but probably not.

I suggest reading a book called Left of Bang. Some chapters are dry but the info. Is valuable. Also read some articles on pre-attack indicators.

I guess the OP doesn't want to participate in his own thread?

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    You want to see what is happening before it happens to you might be a better way to splain it. If you are surprised it is happening to you then you are already behind the curve. Will a QuickDraw work? I guess it could but probably not.

I suggest reading a book called Left of Bang. Some chapters are dry but the info. Is valuable. Also read some articles on pre-attack indicators.

So you're presuming you will be able to see danger coming at all times eh? Kudos, thats an impressive level of awareness, almost godlike.

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    So you're presuming you will be able to see danger coming at all times eh? Kudos, thats an impressive level of awareness, almost godlike.

Did I say "all times"? Don't we presume sh*t all the time to make pretty important decisions in our lives? I have more than made my point so go back and work on your QuickDraw. Why do you think all those books talk about situational awareness in the first chapters because it freaking matters.
    In between your condescension and your practicing to shave a quarter second off your draw, try reading on occasion.
    Maybe you and txinvestigator should try co teaching some classes here in TX since you'll seem to know more than most here.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    TXI as an instructor? HA, that's rich!

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

This really makes me curious.
    How many times have you pulled out your gun, in order to be ready for what never happened?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    This really makes me curious.
    How many times have you pulled out your gun, in order to be ready for what never happened?

This made me think of the bathroom thread for some reason.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Did I say "all times"? Don't we presume sh*t all the time to make pretty important decisions in our lives? I have more than made my point so go back and work on your QuickDraw. Why do you think all those books talk about situational awareness in the first chapters because it freaking matters.
    In between your condescension and your practicing to shave a quarter second off your draw, try reading on occasion.
    Maybe you and txinvestigator should try co teaching some classes here in TX since you'll seem to know more than most here.

All your statements presume that you will see danger coming. If you don't like that then don't make the statement.

And my quick draw is so fast it actual goes backward in time!
    wiener-dogs-in-swim-suits.jpg

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I used to compete in "Combat Shooting" that started from a holster draw. Why train to be Wyatt Earp at the OK Corral? That's not real or even smart to envision street violence like that! I'm not an LEO or a soldier, just a citizen who legally carries every day. My experience with street violence does not support a stand up gunfight scenario at all.

Hit the dirt, duck for cover and snatch the pistol from its hiding place as you do, sounds like a much better plan! There's no fast draw interest, here!

Flash

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom