Military Camp

How has the Ammuition Shortage since 2008 affected your shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    When MSNBC, CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS endorsed BHO over Hillary in '07, I saw the writing on the wall.

Sure enough, after BHO got the Democrat nomination, gun and ammunition sales soared.

BHO ran on a platform of gun control. In his first term, nothing happened, but guns and ammo dried up. In 2009, gun and ammunition stocks reached equilibrium.

That is when I bought all the .22 LR, 9mm, .40, and .45 I could afford. One or two boxes at a time.

Then Sandy Hook, and BHO took off on gun control in a serious way. Within days, every single AR and every box of 9mm, .45 Auto, .38 Special, .357 Magnum and .223/5.56, 7.62x39, .308 Win/7.62 NATO sold for outrageous prices.

Once those stocks ran dry, there was a run on .22 LR and .243 Win and .30-30. Even .30-06 was hard to find.

The prices have slowly started to stabilize, but .22 LR remains in high demand, far higher than Wally World, Academy, Gander Mountain, Cabela's, Dick's and others can supply to the public.

Just last week I shot some .22 LR at the range, and the fellow in the bay next to me asked if I had any to sell.

I was happy to give him a fifty round box of Remington Thunderbolts.

No sense in stiffing a fellow sportsman.
    Capitol Armory ad

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I'm like you Shortround. Sensed the same in 2007.
    Started buying ammo whenever I could.
    Shooting was actually trimmed back considerably as 223 and 9mm dried up and did not want to consume my stock. Bought all I could.
    So in response I moved into 22LR to continue being able to practice.
    Then the Great 22LR Drought occurred so now even 22LR isn't shot all that much.
    I moved back into blackpowder as I could still make my own roundballs but now even percussion caps are difficult to obtain on a regular basis.

Events have really slowed the shooting for me.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I was a victim of 2008 and when Romney got he nod in 2011, I began spending every dime at my disposal in stocking up on 22LR, 9mm, 45ACP, 223/556 and 308.
    I've weathered this storm pretty well.

Its almost to the point today where its as cheap to shoot 223 as it is 22LR.

The odd thing is is 22LR firearms are still in high demand, even though ammo is made of unobtanium.

TexasR.N.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Rampart
    Can you cite the gun control platform that Obama ran on? Thanks.
    While I cannot cite a specific gun control platform our dear leader ran on, will you take 16 years of voting and comments on this subject?

In March 2004, the Illinois Senate passed Senate Bill 2165, a law introduced in response to DeMar's case, with provisions designed to assert a right of citizens to protect themselves against home invasions, such that self-defense requirements would be viewed to take precedence over local ordinances against handgun possession. The measure passed the Illinois Senate by a vote of 38-20. Barack Obama was one of the 20 state senators voting against the measure.
    Governor Rod Blagojevich vetoed the bill. On Nov. 9, 2004, the Illinois Senate voted 40-18 to override Blagojevich's veto. Again, Obama acted against the bill.
    On Nov. 17, the Illinois House voted overwhelmingly, 85-30, to override the governor's veto and Senate Bill 2165 became law.
    Barack Obama on Gun Control

What Obama said in San Francisco seemed to denigrate the very people he was struggling to win: "You go into some of these small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them," Obama told his donors. "Each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are going to regenerate and they have not. So it's not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or antitrade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."
    The fund-raiser was closed to the press. No one from the Obama campaign even had a recording of the comments. Hillary had argued that she was the real champion of the beleaguered middle class, while Obama was the darling of the latte-drinkers. She said, "Senator Obama's remarks are elitist and out of touch. They are not reflective of the values and beliefs of Americans." Obama tried to backpedal.

Q: Is the D.C. law prohibiting ownership of handguns consistent with an individual’s right to bear arms?A: As a general principle, I believe that the Constitution confers an individual right to bear arms. But just because you have an individual right does not mean that the state or local government can’t constrain the exercise of that right, in the same way that we have a right to private property but local governments can establish zoning ordinances that determine how you can use it.
    2008 Democratic primary debate in Philadelphia

Q: You said recently, “I have no intention of taking away folks’ guns.” But you support the D.C. handgun ban, and you’ve said that it’s constitutional. How do you reconcile those two positions?A: Because I think we have two conflicting traditions in this country. I think it’s important for us to recognize that we’ve got a tradition of handgun ownership and gun ownership generally. And a lot of law-abiding citizens use it for hunting, for sportsmanship, and for protecting their families. We also have a violence on the streets that is the result of illegal handgun usage. And so I think there is nothing wrong with a community saying we are going to take those illegal handguns off the streets. And cracking down on the various loopholes that exist in terms of background checks for children, the mentally ill. We can have reasonable, thoughtful gun control measure that I think respect the Second Amendment and people’s traditions.
    Source: 2008 Politico pre-Potomac Primary interview , Feb 11, 2008

2000: cosponsored bill to limit purchases to 1 gun per month

Obama sought moderate gun control measures, such as a 2000 bill he cosponsored to limit handgun purchases to one per month (it did not pass). He voted against letting people violate local weapons bans in cases of self-defense, but also voted in2004 to let retired police officers carry concealed handguns.
    Source: The Improbable Quest, by John K. Wilson, p.148 , Oct 30, 2007

• Principles that Obama supports on gun issues:
    • Ban the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic weapons.
    • Increase state restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms.
    • Require manufacturers to provide child-safety locks with firearms.
    Source: 1998 IL State Legislative National Political Awareness Test , Jul 2, 1998

Voted NO on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers.
    A bill to prohibit civil liability actions from being brought or continued against manufacturers, distributors, dealers, or importers of firearms or ammunition for damages, injunctive or other relief resulting from the misuse of their products by others.
    Voting YES would:
    • Exempt lawsuits brought against individuals who knowingly transfer a firearm that will be used to commit a violent or drug-trafficking crime
    • Exempt lawsuits against actions that result in death, physical injury or property damage due solely to a product defect
    • Call for the dismissal of all qualified civil liability actions pending on the date of enactment by the court in which the action was brought
    • Prohibit the manufacture, import, sale or delivery of armor piercing ammunition, and sets a minimum prison term of 15 years for violations
    • Require all licensed importers, manufacturers and dealers who engage in the transfer of handguns to provide secure gun storage or safety devices
    Reference: Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act; Bill S 397 ; vote number 2005-219 on Jul 29, 2005

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    While I cannot cite a specific gun control platform our dear leader ran on, will you take 16 years of voting and comments on this subject?

In March 2004, the Illinois Senate passed Senate Bill 2165, a law introduced in response to DeMar's case, with provisions designed to assert a right of citizens to protect themselves against home invasions, such that self-defense requirements would be viewed to take precedence over local ordinances against handgun possession. The measure passed the Illinois Senate by a vote of 38-20. Barack Obama was one of the 20 state senators voting against the measure.
    Governor Rod Blagojevich vetoed the bill. On Nov. 9, 2004, the Illinois Senate voted 40-18 to override Blagojevich's veto. Again, Obama acted against the bill.
    On Nov. 17, the Illinois House voted overwhelmingly, 85-30, to override the governor's veto and Senate Bill 2165 became law.

What Obama said in San Francisco seemed to denigrate the very people he was struggling to win: "You go into some of these small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them," Obama told his donors. "Each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are going to regenerate and they have not. So it's not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or antitrade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."
    The fund-raiser was closed to the press. No one from the Obama campaign even had a recording of the comments. Hillary had argued that she was the real champion of the beleaguered middle class, while Obama was the darling of the latte-drinkers. She said, "Senator Obama's remarks are elitist and out of touch. They are not reflective of the values and beliefs of Americans." Obama tried to backpedal.

Q: Is the D.C. law prohibiting ownership of handguns consistent with an individual’s right to bear arms?A: As a general principle, I believe that the Constitution confers an individual right to bear arms. But just because you have an individual right does not mean that the state or local government can’t constrain the exercise of that right, in the same way that we have a right to private property but local governments can establish zoning ordinances that determine how you can use it.
    2008 Democratic primary debate in Philadelphia

Q: You said recently, “I have no intention of taking away folks’ guns.” But you support the D.C. handgun ban, and you’ve said that it’s constitutional. How do you reconcile those two positions?A: Because I think we have two conflicting traditions in this country. I think it’s important for us to recognize that we’ve got a tradition of handgun ownership and gun ownership generally. And a lot of law-abiding citizens use it for hunting, for sportsmanship, and for protecting their families. We also have a violence on the streets that is the result of illegal handgun usage. And so I think there is nothing wrong with a community saying we are going to take those illegal handguns off the streets. And cracking down on the various loopholes that exist in terms of background checks for children, the mentally ill. We can have reasonable, thoughtful gun control measure that I think respect the Second Amendment and people’s traditions.
    Source: 2008 Politico pre-Potomac Primary interview , Feb 11, 2008

2000: cosponsored bill to limit purchases to 1 gun per month

Obama sought moderate gun control measures, such as a 2000 bill he cosponsored to limit handgun purchases to one per month (it did not pass). He voted against letting people violate local weapons bans in cases of self-defense, but also voted in2004 to let retired police officers carry concealed handguns.
    Source: The Improbable Quest, by John K. Wilson, p.148 , Oct 30, 2007

• Principles that Obama supports on gun issues:
    • Ban the sale or transfer of all forms of semi-automatic weapons.
    • Increase state restrictions on the purchase and possession of firearms.
    • Require manufacturers to provide child-safety locks with firearms.
    Source: 1998 IL State Legislative National Political Awareness Test , Jul 2, 1998

Voted NO on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers.
    A bill to prohibit civil liability actions from being brought or continued against manufacturers, distributors, dealers, or importers of firearms or ammunition for damages, injunctive or other relief resulting from the misuse of their products by others.
    Voting YES would:
    • Exempt lawsuits brought against individuals who knowingly transfer a firearm that will be used to commit a violent or drug-trafficking crime
    • Exempt lawsuits against actions that result in death, physical injury or property damage due solely to a product defect
    • Call for the dismissal of all qualified civil liability actions pending on the date of enactment by the court in which the action was brought
    • Prohibit the manufacture, import, sale or delivery of armor piercing ammunition, and sets a minimum prison term of 15 years for violations
    • Require all licensed importers, manufacturers and dealers who engage in the transfer of handguns to provide secure gun storage or safety devices
    Reference: Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act; Bill S 397 ; vote number 2005-219 on Jul 29, 2005
    The dot next to armor piercing ammo- stupid. This needed to fail just because of this dot.
    Armor piercing capabilities have to do with velocity first, then penetration. If we all ended up shooting subsonic we probably won't pierce any armor.
    Still I agree that bho hates guns and shits on gun owners as much as possible while he has guards everywhere protecting him with guns. If he is so anti gun he should disarm the body guards and secret service around him.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I've been shooting more then a few years & have learned to keep an inventory of ammo on hand. Also i keep buying ammo when I see $$ I can live with.

I still have some ammo I bought pre Slick Willy. I do reload but that more fore hunting then anything. As sure as the sun is going to rise so will guns & ammo prices.

Firearms historically were not for the common man until America. As Americans the only way us common men will have the right to own guns is by supporting them. Bottom line everything will go up. Check out the price of groceries lately!

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I remember placing an order for 10 AK mags from AIM on election night 2008 at like 23:30 :green:.
    For the remainder of that year I bought enough AR and AK mags to last me a lifetime, though I will still buy more if the price is right now a days.
    I had more ammo then most in 2008 and I was happy as 2009 inventories were rather tight. I definitely didn't need to buy any more in order to go shooting that year, though I am sure I did here and there.

Things changed for me after Sandy Hook. I felt like that that was it and the gun control lobby might just get all they wanted. It was a wake up call for me and opened my eyes to just how easily things can dry up. I did my best during 2013, I still was well stocked, but I kept thinking that if we never recovered, I would have felt like I would have missed out on a few more things.
    So I got to buying as things started to even out and still am of course. I set goals for certain items, like X amount of rounds for particular calibers to have on hand. From there I would just buy off the shelf what I needed for any particular day of shooting.
    I wanted to have enough parts so that if in a future where certain guns might not be attainable, I would still have the ability to build something I wanted, especially when it came to AR's.

It's all a work in progress and being a bit of a hoarder, I probably won't ever really stop buying, but I am getting there and I can honestly say that if the worst was to happen tomorrow in the form of gun control/AWB, etc., I wouldn't really want for anything more then what I have today. That doesn't mean I would be happy with bans and such, just that I would know that we would be good to go for a very long time and that would be one less thing I needed to think about.

Of course this is all contingent on me not having a boating accident any time soon. :laughing:

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Haven't been shooting much since that psycho shot up Sandy Hook.

Still working on the case of PMC 5.56 I'd purchased at normal prices before everything went insane. Down to the last 2-3 boxes of the stuff so I gotta buy ammo soon, but at these prices I wouldn't feel like shooting it.

Before the 2008 election I went hogwild and bought a Barrett .50 BMG. Oddly enough .50 BMG is one of the few calibers that hasn't gone full retard expensive. Was about $4 a pop before for new match grade, now around $4.50.

Last edited:

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Haven't been shooting much since that psycho shot up Sandy Hook.

Still working on the case of PMC 5.56 I'd purchased at normal prices before everything went insane. Down to the last 2-3 boxes of the stuff so I gotta buy ammo soon, but at these prices I wouldn't feel like shooting it.

What were you paying for PMC 5.56 before?

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Limiting your calibers helps a lot. I get it that some enjoy uncommon calibers or having lots of different calibers.

22LR/9mm/556/308s/12 gauge I dont need anymore than that so it makes it easier to stock up

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin

It was a long time ago, a few weeks before the school shooting, but I think it was something like $245-ish out the door for 1k.

Should have bought 5 or 6 cases of the stuff, instead just one. :(

Last edited:

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    He was smart enough not to touch the 3rd rail. Do you have any doubt what his gun control agenda is?

Reinstating the AWB was on the white house website for the longest time. Then you got Fast and Furious and his teaming up with calderon to demand another AWB. Then the movie theatre shooting, another call for AWB. Then Giffords, another AWB. Then Sandy Hook, guess what he demanded after that?

Just last week he asked for another AWB. Anyone sense a pattern yet?

Anyone who wasn't hiding under a rock for the last 6 years or a liberal troll can plainly see he plans on banning all our shit and always has. He just needed an excuse.

Last edited:

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    The 2A is primarily about being able to fend off out of control governments, both foreign invaders and domestic tyrants who take over.

With machine gun mfg being limited the 2A is effectively gutted. Conversations about carry, handguns, hungting, AWB, etc. are a complete FAIL and illustrate the brainwashed statist mentality that's so effectively tainted the masses.

Another AWB? Bring it. I came here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum!

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish

I looked up my order from Palmetto and bought 1000 rounds of PMC 556 FMJBT for $289 + shipping in August of 2012.

Best price I found just now on gunbot.net is ~$365.

I also bought 40g CCI Mini-Mag ammo in the 100 round sleeve for $5.89 each at the same time.

Last edited:

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Yup incrementalism is their plan.

MGs are out of reach for most of the population already, so now they focus on banning guns that merely look like MGs. After that they come for your revolvers and bolt actions.

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    Limiting your calibers helps a lot. I get it that some enjoy uncommon calibers or having lots of different calibers.

22LR/9mm/556/308s/12 gauge I dont need anymore than that so it makes it easier to stock up

This is what we have done. 12 gauge/9mm/.45/22lr/556 and 308s.

Doing this has enabled us to aquire a very good stock of ammo.

Top Bottom