• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WarrGo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    N. Texas
    I dropped my application in the box 12/30/08. How long does it take to get a PIN?

Does anyone else find it odd that DPS is trusting you to carry a loaded firearm but they don't trust you to send a personal check?
    Lynx Defense

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Does anyone else find it odd that DPS is trusting you to carry a loaded firearm but they don't trust you to send a personal check?

Nope. These days, the cost and hassle makes it not worth dealing with. We also have too many other ways to transfer money without the risk to the receiver.

blazer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    San Antonio
    60 days!

i got my pin after 2 weeks. dps said they got my app 11/12/08
    got my CHL postmarked 1/12/09! the status on the website said "completed, issued or active" on 1/11/09. also, personal check was fine.

60 days as promised!

perchjerk

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    i got my PIN in ab out 5 days back in august! still took me about 4 mon. to get my plastic but the wait for the PIN was hardly anything!

jdbz32

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Got my pin back in 11/10/08 after 2-3 weeks, still waiting on my plastic. Hearing stories of 4-6 months for that.

GLOCK 22
    Springfile XD9

Stormwatcher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Houston
    I took my class on Oct 8, 2008......mailed packet on the 9th. DPS rec'd the packet on the 14th and I got my PIN on Oct. 31st.
    My status just today changed to application complete....license issued.
    Waiting on plastic via snail mail. That is appox 110 days.

Skyjunky

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Well well, sent it off 12/22. They mailed it 1/22. I received it today, however they messed up my name. Hopefully they can correct it.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    When did it start taking this long to get licenses? I am up for renewal this october and was going to take the class this summer, just like last time. By the sounds of it. I'll be SOL and have my license expire before they get me a new one. WTF??

txtrooper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    I work for DPS in Houston and DPS is about 5000 applications behind, (Harris County only). DPS has assigned several additional Troopers to conduct the background investigations, due to the increase in applications. Hopefully it will come soon.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I work for DPS in Houston and DPS is about 5000 applications behind, (Harris County only). DPS has assigned several additional Troopers to conduct the background investigations, due to the increase in applications. Hopefully it will come soon.

What is your region and district? What is your status with DPS, ie Trooper, Civilian, etc?

Who is your Capt?

WarrGo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    N. Texas
    I went to the post office yesterday 1/27 to check if my postal MO that I mailed on 12/30 had been cashed and it hasn't. Still no Pin. I am going to write them right now to see what is up. I hope it wasn't lost in the mail because I didn't put a return address.

BTW I was wrong about them not taking personal checks. I misread that.

Thanks
    Warrgo

txtrooper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    The CHL background investigators have been very busy. I am glad to see that there are so many CHL holders here in the Houston area. I will ask the CHL background investigation Troopers what the turnaround time is and I will let you know next week.

jdbz32

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    They are not stories :) Those are facts. I am in my 3rd month. Stories are those who get there CHL in less than 2 months :)

Guess the process is speeding up! Got my approval yesterday! 11/12/08 - 1/27/09. Approx 66 days.

Glock 22
    Springfield XD9

Top Bottom