• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    How long does it take for ATF to give the green light when they put a hold on a firearm purchase?

Thanks in Advance.

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    Thanks Alan. I figured it be that long but since it is the weekend I knew they would be busy so I probably won't get a call till Monday...oh well.

I really wanted to try my new gun this weekend but i guess not.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Thanks Alan. I figured it be that long but since it is the weekend I knew they would be busy so I probably won't get a call till Monday...oh well.

I really wanted to try my new gun this weekend but i guess not.

Busy is better. They don't pile things up, separate people do the "hold" investigations than the poor bastards that answer the phone for the original NICS check.

The reason I say "busy is better" is because most of the "call-backs" are done when you call in another NICS check. They will say they have additional checks completed and they can write down the NICS number along with the proceed, hold, or deny.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    NICS is supposed to call Academy.They got your number right?I used to work at Academy and the policy was to cancel the transaction and put the gun back in the case.Call the manager(Leo) immediately to make sure.Three working days does not include Sunday which totally sucks.You may have been approved already so you will need to call.I got us another 1911 for us to shoot at the meet and I was not delayed.But since the gunshow had heavy traffic maybe you were delayed because of it.Good luck.I know you must be angry and I do not blame you.Let us know what happened.

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    The guy at the counter said they would hold the gun for 30 days and he said it would likely be monday when they call because they would be busy on the weekends due to all the gun shows.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The guy at the counter said they would hold the gun for 30 days and he said it would likely be monday when they call because they would be busy on the weekends due to all the gun shows.

30 days? ... No.

They gave whomever called it in the release date, it will have been (or should have) written down on the 2nd page. If the FBI doesn't call back by that date then the transaction can take place. Generally the dates are within 3 - 5 days.

I work weekends and rarely do I have trouble getting feedback or ahold of the NICS people. The longest I've been on hold is about 1 minute.

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    That is what the guy working at Academy told me.

that they would not sell the gun up for up to 30 days.

He said the hold should be taken off within 3 working days. Sundays don't count I guess so here is hoping that tomorrow is my lucky day that I get to bring the gun home.

juwaba98

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Yeah, the guy at Academy just means that once the transaction started you have 30 days to get the gun from them assuming there is not a denial. Meaning that it is yours, but you don't have to rush to get it the same day the approval comes through, rather they will be nice and hang on to it for you until you get the chance to get it for up to 30 days from the initiation of the paperwork.

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    This sucks guys.

I just got off the phone with the manager at Academy. I asked him about whether NICS gave them a certain date when the transaction could continue.

He said yes but Academy's policy is not to release a weapon until NICS actually calls them back and okay's the purchase.

So basically if NICS takes 10 more days I won't get it until ten more days. That is if they even call back.

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    I got it! picked it up ran 100 rounds of magtech 115gr. FMJ through it without a hiccup.

Stoeger Cougar 8000 made in turkey. Sweetest 9mm I have ever shot!!! The magazines that came with it though are Beretta Cougar 8000 mags made in Italy. I want to order another two mags asap.

I am in accounting class waiting for it to start but I will post pics asap guys.

This gun lived up to every single one of my expectations. Everything that I read on this gun was dead on. Including some range reports from fellow owners on this forum.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    Academy puts a "Sold" on the firearm for 30 days, kind of like a layaway without any money changing hands.

This mess stinks like Clinton's inability to keep the NCIS computers turned on.
    I have heard a lot of people complaining that they where getting holds on the weekends.

fmc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    hold on sale

They placed a hold on mine on Friday and cleared it on Saturday. The dealer that I use said that if you ever had a Security Clearance it puts a hold on the purchase?
    If they do not make a decision in three buisness days the dealer can go ahead with the sale.
    Hang in there.

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    They placed a hold on mine on Friday and cleared it on Saturday. The dealer that I use said that if you ever had a Security Clearance it puts a hold on the purchase?
    If they do not make a decision in three buisness days the dealer can go ahead with the sale.
    Hang in there.

Thanks but if you read my previous post I picked it up already.:patriot:

Top Bottom