• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • loumaag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2013
    Katy, TX
    The last two posts had me wondering, so I checked the status of mine, which I received in May. The status page, like shown in the last post, isn't there anymore. I don't know when it disappeared but I had captured a picture of it when it showed mailed and never thought about again it until today. So, if for any reason you want to see it in the future, screen cap the various stages as it goes along.
    Gun Zone Deals

purelandstudent

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Round Rock
    Maybe I should call them. It has been exactly two months. My status still shows they are waiting for required materials.

I called the CHL hot line in Austin and spoke to a lady. She looked up my app and said that they began processing mid-May. I told her I sent it end of March. So she put me on hold, returned after a couple minutes and said that it's already printing.

She also said that the status should be updated online in the next 24 hours.

Woo-hoo. Should be about another week or so before it's in my hands.

Sent 4/2. Been 80 days so far.

purelandstudent

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Round Rock
    I called their contact number and then was transferred to talk to lady on the processing side. After I gave her my SS# and DL#, I heard over the phone that she was whispering , "oh, no, you gotta be kidding me." Then I knew something did not go right. After putting me on hold for a few minutes, she's back online and told me that they made a mistake for my application process on their system. Obviously, after all the background checking was done, they FORGOT moving to the next step: ordering the CHL! The lady was very friendly, She kept apologizing to me. So I emailed her the copies of my CHL 100 form and US passport. Then she emailed back and told me that she had ordered to print license and I should be able to receive it b/w 7 and 10 biz days. (my online status has not updated yet, it still shows waiting for the receipt of required documents). I will contact the lady again tomorrow if my online status has not changed. What a drama!

BTW, I mailed my application on April 29 and the certified mail confirmation date was signed on May 7th.

CitizenSeven

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Dallas
    One thing that GREATLY expedites the process is to submit the various paperwork (CHL-6, passport photos, CHL-100, FAST receipt, Checklist) via the DPS "help" page: https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/contact/default.aspx. The even give you exactly five slots for uploads, which is exactly the right number for CHL application. No where does it say you can do this, but I found some hints online that it works. I never physically mailed my paperwork, and from the time I used the above link until I got plastic in hand was less than four weeks: submitted 5/29, plastic in hand 6/24. From the time I started getting any green checkmarks on the status page until plastic in hand was about ten days.

One thing that may have helped expedite things was I entered in the comments section that they are free to use my DL picture if it would expedite things, otherwise use the uploaded photos. That's what they ended up using, so maybe that helped some.

It's going even faster for my gf: files uploaded 6/19, and her status page is at the "Background Check : Under review" stage.

Last edited:

loumaag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2013
    Katy, TX
    ...(my online status has not updated yet, it still shows waiting for the receipt of required documents). I will contact the lady again tomorrow if my online status has not changed. What a drama!
    From what I understand, the computer status only updates once a day in the evening after all the daily stuff is entered, so it should be showing a change today. Hope you see your card shortly. ;)

Socaltonorthtx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    ra3u3e4a.jpg
    Finally received my CHL in the mail this afternoon.

Total time from mailbox to mailbox: 90 days
    Total time from uploading docs to mailbox: 43 days

Note: as you can probably tell from my handle I'm new to this beautiful state of Texas so I had no history to speak of here. This required DPS to obtain my BG info from the Republik of Kalifornia, delaying processing, I'm sure.

I will not be doing a "Wally Walk". That's the last place I want to go. But I am going to the jeweler to repair my watch. And that will be my version of the Wally walk.

CHL timeline
    3/13 training
    3/14 applied online
    3/29 fingerprints
    3/30 sent
    5/16 uploaded docs
    5/17 reported as received.
    6/21 called CHL cust relations agent. Was advised that BG was completed and that CHL was being printed
    6/22 updated to BG complete - manufacturing pending
    6/23 updated to manufacturing
    6/25 updated to mailed
    6/26 postmarked
    6/28 received in mailbox

Last edited:

Socaltonorthtx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    One thing that GREATLY expedites the process is to submit the various paperwork (CHL-6, passport photos, CHL-100, FAST receipt, Checklist) via the DPS "help" page: https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/contact/default.aspx. The even give you exactly five slots for uploads, which is exactly the right number for CHL application. No where does it say you can do this, but I found some hints online that it works. I never physically mailed my paperwork, and from the time I used the above link until I got plastic in hand was less than four weeks: submitted 5/29, plastic in hand 6/24. From the time I started getting any green checkmarks on the status page until plastic in hand was about ten days.

CitizenSeven, very good advice and probably less processing on the part of the folks in Austin. My sense is that they probably prefer the docs online instead of hard copy.

I mailed my app and waited almost 45 days and it had not updated online to show received. Then I uploaded my docs and the system showed updated the next day. Coincidence? Perhaps. But I was raised to not believe in them.

purelandstudent

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Round Rock
    Mailed my application on April 29 and received the license today( July 3rd). I had shared my story early (or see below). I may have received earlier if they did not make the mistake. or who knows when I will be able to receive it if i have never called them. Hubby seems more excited than me. But I do feel proud to be one of the 0.41% female Asian CHL holders out of all CHL holders in Texas. :cool:

I called their contact number and then was transferred to talk to lady on the processing side. After I gave her my SS# and DL#, I heard over the phone that she was whispering , "oh, no, you gotta be kidding me." Then I knew something did not go right. After putting me on hold for a few minutes, she's back online and told me that they made a mistake for my application process on their system. Obviously, after all the background checking was done, they FORGOT moving to the next step: ordering the CHL! The lady was very friendly, She kept apologizing to me. So I emailed her the copies of my CHL 100 form and US passport. Then she emailed back and told me that she had ordered to print license and I should be able to receive it b/w 7 and 10 biz days. (my online status has not updated yet, it still shows waiting for the receipt of required documents). I will contact the lady again tomorrow if my online status has not changed. What a drama!

BTW, I mailed my application on April 29 and the certified mail confirmation date was signed on May 7th.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    0.41%! I'm curious, where did you find the statistic? Congrats, btw! And yes, it's exciting for us, I understand how hubs feels. Can't wait until my wife gets hers, she's waiting for the shorter class though ;)

purelandstudent

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Round Rock

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Appreciate you posting the link, thanks! Lots of fun info in there, like the 31 CHLs for 90+ year olds

Old Vet

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Called FL. and ask for app. had it in hand within 5 days, had the local police do the finger print card ($10), got pass port photos at Office Supply ($6), made a copy of my honorable discharge, had a money order made out to FL. for $112, mailed it all off on May 13th. Had my license good for 7 years in TX and 33 other such reciprocating states for a total of $128 in hand in 47 days.

We spend a month+ in FL once a year and then 2 - 3 weeks in SD during pheasant season, don't go through one state the license is not good in. So can't beat that as far as I am concerned.

Top Bottom