• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    The post about "trusting reloads" started me to wondering, just how many here are handloaders? Doesn't seem to be a majority, based on the "I saw ammunition at Walmart" type threads.
    Just curious. Do you handload, how long, and what calibers?
    Guns International

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    'nuther handloader

Hey there Charley, even though I'm kind of a young buck(31), I have been shooting since I was about 10 years old. This last year in late 08' I decided to start reloading for my 45LC. Now I keep over half a dozen different powders and a few K of primers and brass around to produce both "new" ammo as well as reloads. In a short 4 months, I have decided to reload for almost every caliber I own(9mm, 45acp,45LC,223,280,etc.) My current loads for the 45LC exceed the accuracy of almost every "factory" bullet I have put through my gun and at about 1/3 to 1/4 of the price of new ammo. Now is a terrible time to start reloading due to everything being overpriced or unavailable. In spite of all that, reloading is one of the most rewarding hobbies I have ever had. Start collecting your brass and by the time you have enough to reload there might be some components out there worth the money.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Started shooting and hand loading back in 75 while still in high school.
    You do the math.LOL!!!
    Went from a signal stage for pistol ammo to a progressive in 82.
    Bought my second progressive in 91 ( i think) after wearing out my old Lee 1000.
    Replaced it with a Hornaday Pro-jector I found on sale for 225.00 complete with dies and shell plate. The gun store owner threw in for $60.00 more, two more diff caliber dies and shell plates.
    Still load rifle ammo on a signal stage. Would never consider loading rifle ammo on a progressive. To many variables that must be kept in check to produce high quality ammo for a rifle.
    I still check the ammo counter at the store so I can report to my non reloading friends.

Rifleman55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    I started loading my own in 64, and load a bunch of different calibers, I have dies that I dont own guns in those calibers, My newest is 9mm, I have powder,primers and bullets on order, I just set the SDB for 9mm.

old_folks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    i have been handloading for well over 50 years. My high school biology teacher was a big handloader and got me started. We shared lots of talks about different calibers and powders. I have seen the number and amount of powders go from a hand full back then to an amount now that is mind boggling. I started out on a single stage Pacific C press. Still use a single stage press. Just takes longer to produce ammo, but I know what goes in my pistols, rifles, and shotguns.

I hand load all the major or popular handgun calibers, about 8 or 9 rifle calibers, and all shotgun gauges. It is one of the more relaxing hobbies that I have undertaken.

Happy handloading to all.

res1b3uq

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    About a year for me. load only .45 ACP, may try some .38 Special soon. I don't shoot the M1 enough to reload for it.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    30+ years. 12 ga, .32 ACP, .380 ACP, .38 Super, 9mm, .38 Spl/.357 Mag, .40 S&W, 10mm, .41 Mag, .44 Spl/Mag, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .223, .243, .25-06, .270 Win, 7 X 57, 7mm RM, .30 Carbine, .30-30, 7.62 X 39, .308, .30-06, .300 WM, 8 X 57, and .45-70.
    I cast bullets for most of the above (25 years).

I guess it would have been easier to say what calibers I DON"T handload for.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Thanks for the replies.
    I started about '78 or so. Bought my first centerfire, a Ruger Security Six, and realized I would never be able to shoot as much as I wanted unless I handloaded. It kinda grew.

Currently load for about 40 calibers, rifle from .223 to 577/.450, handguns from .32 ACP to .45 Colt. Been casting for 15 plus years, and started loading shotshells in a small way about 3 years back. Good to know there are plenty others out there besides me.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    About 2K rds into reloading. Cost and scarcity of ammo forced me into it. If only the powder and primers would show up (both backordered) I could crank out some more range fodder.

ambidextrous1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've been reloading for about 13 years, pistol calibers from .32 to .45; I'll be loading .223 before the end of the year.

My first press was the Dillon 650; still going strong, and no squib loads, no double charges. I had a few missing primers & high primers in the early years.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    I've been reloading since High School; 40+ years. Currently mostly .45 ACP, .38 Special, .223 Rem., and .308 Winchester for my Bullseye and High Power firearms. When I have time to shoot them, for the .45 Colt, .44 Special/Mag, .45 AR, .280 Remington and .243 Winchester.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    I've been loading shotgun ammo for 30 years or so. Started loading rifle 10 years ago on my friends single stage press. Bought one of those fancy Dillon progressive presses last year for .45 ACP and LC. Better ammo and lower price = shoot a lot more.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom