• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Wife's got a single shot rifle in 22 short/long/long rifle from the 1930s. Open bolt, insert round, close bolt, pull back on a knob to charge. Trigger feels like 3.5 lbs.
    DK Firearms

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    If you decide to buy, remember that there are lots of silhouette shooters who have given up the hobby. That means there are a bunch of gorgeous, custom bolt pistols in the backs of gun safes that haven't been used in decades. The asking prices on those things tends to be high because people remember how much they spent getting them built. The real value is usually much lower. Feel free to make lowball offers. Especially if you're willing to reload for a weird chambering, you might luck into a surprisingly affordable pistol.
    I doubt I'd buy a custom made gun and even more unlikely would be getting one in a custom caliber.

I seem to recall there used to be a couple or few bolt action pistols made by major manufacturers. Two that come to mind are the Remington XP100 and the Savage Stryker. I think maybe there were others from other manufacturers. The thing I like about the Stryker is that the bolt is on the left hand side which is perfect for a right handed shooter because you would not have to remove your right hand to reload. The Remington, has the bolt handle on the right side. Both have their pistol grips more or less mid-body.

I see that Remington is currently manufacturing what they call a pistol - the Remington 700 CP. When I looked at it, all I thought was that if I wanted a Remington 700, I'd go with the full sized rifle. The 700 CP essentially looks like a shortened version of the rifle. The only other current manufacturer of stock bolt action pistols seems to be Keystone Sporting Arms with both Cricket and Chipmunk bolt action pistols in 22 LR and 22 WMR. Now one of those I might consider, in 22 WMR, for a fun gun and because I don't have a bolt action pistol. I'd also maybe consider a Savage Stryker if I could find one at a really good price, in the right caliber, and have the cash at the time but something tells me most will go for more than I want to spend.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The only other current manufacturer of stock bolt action pistols seems to be Keystone Sporting Arms
    Nosler. Expensive and zoomy so I really want one but I can't justify the outlay.

H-S Precision. It's no longer on the web site but their wonderful VP bolt action pistol is still in the catalog.

Wichita. The current owner says he will build anything that Wichita (or Champlin) ever cataloged. It'll be hand-built by one man, one gun at a time but that still qualifies as a stock bolt action pistol. It's just that production volume is pretty low. :) I didn't bother to ask about prices, obviously.

If you have a dealer willing to work with you on a European import, there are some amazing bolt action pistols from across the pond.

I'm sure I've forgotten others.

ETA: How could I forget the Anschutz? It's no longer made and sold out from the factory but if you look hard I'm willing to bet you could find a NOS example or one that's just lightly used.

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2008
    Jacksonville, Tx, W.Monroe, La
    Never heard of a sliding breech shotgun before. Looked it up and think the design is intriguing; my guess is expensive too. Ah yes, too expensive for me: https://www.rockislandauction.com/d...rne-double-barrel-sliding-breech-shotgun-with
    That one pictured is one of their express rifles. The action is strong enough with what looks like a metal rod extends back at the top, between the two barrels and has a hole in the underside, where a locking lug raises up in the sliding breech to provide a locking lug to lock the breech and barrels firmly together. The toggle rides over into its recess to provide locking also. The made rifles in calibers for large dangerous game at one time. The Charlin was a "copy" with some improvements. The sliding breech on it rides on hidden ball bearings and is very smooth. The breech block is fitted so close to the receiver that the junction looks like a fine line of engraving. Mine is not one of the higher grades, but has some scroll like engraving that crosses from breech block to receiver. The instant the toggle drops into it's recess, the engraving all lines up.

Pops1955

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Revolvers - 1 (.357 / western)
    Semi -auto pistols - 7
    Pump Shotguns - 2
    Single Shot Shotguns - 1
    Semi-auto rifles - 5
    Lever Action Rifles - 3
    Single shot rifles - 1