Target Sports

How many of you have LTC’s from other states?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Second amendment.
    It might be questionable, but I stay well under radar.
    So far, so good.
    BTW. I avoid 3rd world shitholes.

Rusty Shackleford

My trucks a rockin', don't come a knockin'.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2020
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Hello everyone, just moved to Texas and am trying to go through the process of getting a CHL. Was thinking of getting the Virginia license since it will also allow me to conceal carry in multiple states, from what I understand. I was wondering though, and can’t find the answer for this. Texas requires you to have a concealed carry license to legally open carry a handgun, will the Virginia concealed carry license make it legal and ok for me to open carry a handgun in Texas? Thanks.

MrNiceGuy

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    San Antonio
    Had a ND concealed I just let it expire this yr and got the TC LTC. I had the class 2 from ND so it only had I think 24 reciprocal states. Class 1 of course has more.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    Was IL an easy process? Is it only difficult in chit town?
    IL requires a 16 hour class from a IL certified instructor, but you don't have to take the class in IL. there used to be two certified instructors in TX, but I heard one moved away (the one I used), and the other no longer teaches. You also don't need to submit fingerprints, but it makes the approval longer, and IL only allows you to go to their vendor in IL. And as someone mentioned, it is expensive. If you spend a lot of time in IL, it might be worth it.

I should also note that IL only recognizes four states as "substantially similar" to apply for a non-resident license, which does include Texas. And, 8 hours of the training is waived if you are a veteran.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    Illinois, Iowa, Arizona and Tx. Letting Illinois expire.

Depending on what Ilinois State congress does, if you let it expire you may not be able to get it again if you ever need it again. Although, it is another $300 and one has to take a 4 hr renewal class. Which of course is a PiTA.

but I am working on getting my Illinois LTC teaching certification so I can teach Illinois classes in Texas

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    Was IL an easy process? Is it only difficult in chit town?

I had to fly to St Louis, cross the border to take my class. I was given 8hrs of credit because I had taken my NRA basic pistol, so only had to take the other 8 hours. And pay $300.

There used to be 3 Illinois instructors in Texas. Celina, Houston, And Amarillo. But they are all gone.

I will be getting my Illinois Teaching credentials sometime in the next year and will start doing classes here in Texas.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    IL requires a 16 hour class from a IL certified instructor, but you don't have to take the class in IL. there used to be two certified instructors in TX, but I heard one moved away (the one I used), and the other no longer teaches. You also don't need to submit fingerprints, but it makes the approval longer, and IL only allows you to go to their vendor in IL. And as someone mentioned, it is expensive. If you spend a lot of time in IL, it might be worth it.

I should also note that IL only recognizes four states as "substantially similar" to apply for a non-resident license, which does include Texas. And, 8 hours of the training is waived if you are a veteran.

That could be changing soon.

Also, having an Illinois LTC gains you reciprocity with Minnesota, because MN does not honor a Texas LTC. Nor does Minnesota honor Utah, Arizona, Florida, Nevada, NH, Maine or CT.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Also what I learned about Florida is they only honor your state permit if you are a resident of the state that issued your permit. So as a texas resident who still uses the y AZ permit I couldnt ccw on it.

Just for info.

Rusty Shackleford

My trucks a rockin', don't come a knockin'.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2020
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Hello everyone, just moved to Texas and am trying to go through the process of getting a CHL. Was thinking of getting the Virginia license since it will also allow me to conceal carry in multiple states, from what I understand. I was wondering though, and can’t find the answer for this. Texas requires you to have a concealed carry license to legally open carry a handgun, will the Virginia concealed carry license make it legal and ok for me to open carry a handgun in Texas? Thanks.
    Bump!

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    Also what I learned about Florida is they only honor your state permit if you are a resident of the state that issued your permit. So as a texas resident who still uses the y AZ permit I couldnt ccw on it.

Just for info.

Florida, South Carolina, Wisconsin, Colorado, Pa, and maybe even one more state are like that where the only LTC they will recognize is from the same state your DL and address show as your home state.

However, there are ways around it, because some states will recognize multiple states of residence, when certain conditions exist.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Florida, South Carolina, Wisconsin, Colorado, Pa, and maybe even one more state are like that where the only LTC they will recognize is from the same state your DL and address show as your home state.

However, there are ways around it, because some states will recognize multiple states of residence, when certain conditions exist.
    I still have an active AZ license cause they are good till your 70 and we still have family property in AZ but it's not the hill I want to die on. I'll get a Texas permit eventually, its just a hassle expense I haven't chose to endure yet.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    I still have an active AZ license cause they are good till your 70 and we still have family property in AZ but it's not the hill I want to die on. I'll get a Texas permit eventually, its just a hassle expense I haven't chose to endure yet.

Its not to bad. Much better then many other states. And for thr all yhr LTC's that I have. It was actually yhe least expensive of them all. Even when my NRA basic pistol course covered for yhe training on 5 of them too.
    Illinois was $300 ($150 for residents), NH was $100, CT $170, Maine $60, FL $60, AZ $60, UT $65. Not counting training classes.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Its not to bad. Much better then many other states. And for thr all yhr LTC's that I have. It was actually yhe least expensive of them all. Even when my NRA basic pistol course covered for yhe training on 5 of them too.
    Illinois was $300 ($150 for residents), NH was $100, CT $170, Maine $60, FL $60, AZ $60, UT $65. Not counting training classes.

One thing about the Arizona LTC is, you don't nessesarily have to take a class for it. If you have ever taken hunter's ed, you're GTG. On a lot of those courses, you can take it online. I did for mine in Texas.

That makes it even cheaper.

Top Bottom