• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Oh my goodness. That pistol could have just decided to fire at any second, all on its own...
    I know you are attempting to make a joke, but I take firearm safety serious.
    Keeping your muzzle pointed in safe direction is the 1st Rule of Firearm safety.

The Four Primary Rules of Firearm Safety
    • Watch that muzzle! Keep it pointed in a safe direction at all times.
    • Treat every firearm with the respect due a loaded gun. It might be, even if you think it isn't.
    • Be sure of the target and what is in front of it and beyond it. ...
    • Keep your finger outside the trigger guard until ready to shoot.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To ALL,

I'm NOT a fan of shoulder holsters EXCEPT that IF I'm "in the field" and/or on our farm & am carrying my BIG/HEAVY Model of 1917 S&W revolver in .45ACP. = For that job, I have an old & "well-used" EL PASO SADDLERY "vertical carry" shoulder rig that is COMFORTABLE to wear all day, especially IF I'm out riding. = That LONG-barreled revolver is then "out of the way".

just my OPINION, satx

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Keeping your muzzle pointed in safe direction is the 1st Rule of Firearm safety.

• Treat every firearm with the respect due a loaded gun. It might be, even if you think it isn't.

It is no joke. Any direction is a safe direction if it is in a holster. Once out of the bolster it is less safe in any direction, but still pretty safe if the trigger is not manipulated.

And "keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction" is a great idea, but it really cannot be done. Even a owb holster will flag people, appendix carry has the muzzle ready for a contact shot into your groin. Is carrying a rifle muzzle up safe? Where will the bullet land if it fires?

Guns don't "just go off" anymore than a car just starts itself and crashes. Shoulder holsters are safe if they protect the trigger.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    If you're worried that your gun, whether in a shoulder holster or in your hand with your finger off the trigger, will go off on its own; then you either need to get another gun that is in better mechanical condition....or you need to learn how properly functioning handguns work.

Shoulder holsters are safe.....it's improper gun handling that leads to negligent discharges. Watch where you put that booger hook....

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

I am well aware of the rules. But I am also aware that every rule does not apply to every single situation.

A gun in a holster will not fire by itself. If you are worried about a gun going off by itself, a conventional belt carry could go off, ricochet off the floor and hit someone. Not an unlikely scenario should the gun go off by itself.

SickSilverado

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    TEXAS
    I use a shoulder rig. I'm mainly a truck driver and I rarely get out of the truck with people around. And if I do get out of my truck, I usually don't go far from the truck. So, you won't see me open carrying in the store with it, maybe just pumping diesel. I tried appendix and 4 o'clock, but shoulder is the most comfortable for me when carrying my heavy full size guns in the truck.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I find them very comfortable, especially for driving.

It won't always replace a belt holster, but its a great option at times.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk
    I used to wear them when driving long road trips, but then discovered keeping it on the passenger seat ( if driving solo) covered by the Weekly World News ( or other tabloid) is just as comfortable.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    I used to wear them when driving long road trips, but then discovered keeping it on the passenger seat ( if driving solo) covered by the Weekly World News ( or other tabloid) is just as comfortable.
    ....until you have to hit the brakes hard. Ask the FBI agents in Miami in '86' about that.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    If a pistol is like a cell phone, it would be on the floor board. Except for one time a young punk pulled out in front of me causing me to brake hard. My cell phone ended up in the glass of iced tea I had in my cup holder.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    The issue with most shoulder holsters is that the draw stroke will involve you sweeping anything +90° to your left (assuming you are right handed, and gun is on your left side, carried horizontal)

The draw is one of the more dangerous parts of handling a gun, so a holster system that can potentially have you sweep tons of people is a hard pill to swallow. Especially if we are relying on the average joe's level of skill/ability

It has it's place, but for most situations, there are far better options.

Plus it's usually not cold enough to be able to conceal a shoulder holster round here

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    The issue with most shoulder holsters is that the draw stroke will involve you sweeping anything +90° to your left (assuming you are right handed, and gun is on your left side, carried horizontal)

The draw is one of the more dangerous parts of handling a gun, so a holster system that can potentially have you sweep tons of people is a hard pill to swallow. Especially if we are relying on the average joe's level of skill/ability

It has it's place, but for most situations, there are far better options.

Plus it's usually not cold enough to be able to conceal a shoulder holster round here

zackmars,

FYI, my "sort of a shoulder holster"/semi-chest side holster made by EPS is FINE carried OPENLY with my long-barreled/N-frame Model 1917 S&W revolver in .45ACP. = I usually only wear it on the farm or hunting/fishing.

yours, satx

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Just like the question asks; how many of you regularly use a shoulder holster system for your EDC, and why did you choose a shoulder holster?.
    If you do use a shoulder holster, what brand do you use and with which firearm?

I almost exclusively use the Galco horizontal system for my Glock with the double mag pouch on the other side with one spare mag and a tactical flashlight in place of the second mag.

Thescoutranch
    I use a custom 45 degree left side holster when not wearing a carry vest, which is my favorite

BABBALOU1956

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2021
    Lewisville
    I got a shoulder holster about 10 years ago when I discovered appendix carry was not comfortable for me. I'm 6'1" 240 with broad shoulders so the shoulder holsters were in my arm pits. After adjusting it as far as it would go. I chucked it into the pile of "future ebay crap." Don't remember the brand but I think DeSantis. Big guys, check the size before buying.

ArmyDub

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2020
    Texas
    BEF5DE8F-E68E-4733-8415-D9297C5CC8B6.jpeg

Top Bottom