• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    I have a 20x20 workshop, one corner bench is the relodaing area. Got stocked a couple years ago, the Classic Turrent is spinning and it does save money. Even though I had to spend $39.00 per hundred to get some new .308 brass at Cabela's The 150 gr pillls and powder came out to .75 ea for custom rounds. I picked up 135 .45, 72 .223 and 40 .308 brass up at the range this week plus mine back. When you start piling up brass, it saves.
    Lynx Defense

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    This would probably not be a good idea.
    1. I believe you must have a license to manufacture ammunition for resale.
    2. You have incredible liability if something goes wrong with the ammo you sell.

I would just like to know if it actually saves money by reloading, if you collect a lot of brass from ranges and such. So the only thing you would have to buy would be bullets, primer, and powder.

Skyjunky

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    I would just like to know if it actually saves money by reloading, if you collect a lot of brass from ranges and such. So the only thing you would have to buy would be bullets, primer, and powder.

Well if you shoot 100 rounds of factory compared to 100 rounds of reloaded than you definitely save.

Before I started reloading I would go through maybe 100 rounds a month. Now I go through 500 a month since reloading. It's a vicious cycle.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Well if you shoot 100 rounds of factory compared to 100 rounds of reloaded than you definitely save.

Before I started reloading I would go through maybe 100 rounds a month. Now I go through 500 a month since reloading. It's a vicious cycle.

Thanks for the info. I plan on reloading .40s&w, and .45acp right now, and most likely later on reloading .30-30. I still have to get a reloading press. I'm looking at the Hornady L&L AP what is your comments on that press, any experience with it?

Thanks,
    Bill

Skyjunky

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    That's what I have. Between the free 1000 bullets and 250 free bullets for each set of dies, it's pretty much paid for itself. I'm still in the hole for all the other accessories.

Up to you to drink the red, green or blue kool-aid.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    That's what I have. Between the free 1000 bullets and 250 free bullets for each set of dies, it's pretty much paid for itself. I'm still in the hole for all the other accessories.

Up to you to drink the red, green or blue kool-aid.

So what your saying is they're all pretty much equal in reliability? A friend of mine has a bunch of Hornady reloading gear already so I was just going to get the Hornady L&L AP because I wouldn't have to buy dies since he already has them, he just got rid of his reloader press right before he passed away due to a price offer he couldn't refuse.

Skyjunky

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Well there you go. Hornady and Dillon have excellent warranties and customer service. I don't know about RCBS but I've got a few accessories from them. Never heard anyone say they hate their red, blue or green equipment.

Read up on the internets, see if you have a shop near by that carries X brand. That was also a deciding factor for me since I hate waiting for stuff to come in the mail.

wshbrngr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Texas Hill Country

This is exactly what I do. I keep all my brass from my commercial ammo and pick up any I find at my range. Different ranges have different policies, but my range does not care if I pick up brass.

The actual amount you save will depend where you buy your supplies. Bullets are the most expensive component.

So, easy enough for you to estimate your potential savings.
    Here is an example for .40 S&W. All these components were bought locally at Sportsmans Warehouse and include tax:

**Please note that these figures do not include your time (labor) or take into account the cost of equipment).

1. 1lb of powder has 7000grains. Divide the cost of the powder by the number of grains. Multiply the cost per grain times the number of grains you use per round.
    i.e. 1lb. of powder(Win 231) @ $19.47 = $19.47/7000 = .00278/gr.

2. Cost of primers (CCI 500) = $29.22 / 1000 = 0.029/ea.

3. Cost of bullet (Hornady HP/XTP 180gr) = $22.19/100 = .222/ea.

Finally: If you load your rounds with 5grs of powder:
    .00278 X 5 = .014
    1 primer = .029
    1 bullet = .222
    ------
    $0.27/rnd X 50 = $13.50/box

Now you can compare the 13.50/box to what you would pay retail for 50 rounds.
    **Please note: My first mistake was comparing this cost to winchester value pack ammo at walmart. This is a better bullet than just a winchester FMJ (Which cost a lot less).

If you buy online in bulk you will save more.
    If you use a cheaper bullet (lead or plated) for plinking/target practice - you will save more.
    The problem I have found with buying primers/powder online is the hazmat fee. (so you have to buy a lot to make up for that, or buy powder & primers at gunshows)

What I have learned is that a small savings (couple of bucks) on powder or primers does not affect the cost per round very much. Its the bullets, baby. :)

Thanks for the info. I plan on reloading .40s&w, and .45acp right now, and most likely later on reloading .30-30. I still have to get a reloading press. I'm looking at the Hornady L&L AP what is your comments on that press, any experience with it?

Thanks,
    Bill

I don't have a progressive, but am using the LnL single stage and really like it a lot. Just been loading pistol ammo so far and can crank out about 100rnds/hr. Progressive will be much faster.
    I have had no problems with my press (quality or assembly).
    I cannot comment on Hornady's customer service as I have yet to need them. (I have not heard anything bad about it).
    Although when it says 4-6weeks for the bullet offer they mean it. It took about 5 weeks average for mine.

I will definately go with the LnL AP if/when I decide to go progressive.
    (Unless I find a used dillon way cheap).

Oh, and in case you have not seen it, this is some interesting reading: http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    This is exactly what I do. I keep all my brass from my commercial ammo and pick up any I find at my range. Different ranges have different policies, but my range does not care if I pick up brass.

The actual amount you save will depend where you buy your supplies. Bullets are the most expensive component.

So, easy enough for you to estimate your potential savings.
    Here is an example for .40 S&W. All these components were bought locally at Sportsmans Warehouse and include tax:

**Please note that these figures do not include your time (labor) or take into account the cost of equipment).

1. 1lb of powder has 7000grains. Divide the cost of the powder by the number of grains. Multiply the cost per grain times the number of grains you use per round.
    i.e. 1lb. of powder(Win 231) @ $19.47 = $19.47/7000 = .00278/gr.

2. Cost of primers (CCI 500) = $29.22 / 1000 = 0.029/ea.

3. Cost of bullet (Hornady HP/XTP 180gr) = $22.19/100 = .222/ea.

Finally: If you load your rounds with 5grs of powder:
    .00278 X 5 = .014
    1 primer = .029
    1 bullet = .222
    ------
    $0.27/rnd X 50 = $13.50/box

Now you can compare the 13.50/box to what you would pay retail for 50 rounds.
    **Please note: My first mistake was comparing this cost to winchester value pack ammo at walmart. This is a better bullet than just a winchester FMJ (Which cost a lot less).

If you buy online in bulk you will save more.
    If you use a cheaper bullet (lead or plated) for plinking/target practice - you will save more.
    The problem I have found with buying primers/powder online is the hazmat fee. (so you have to buy a lot to make up for that, or buy powder & primers at gunshows)

What I have learned is that a small savings (couple of bucks) on powder or primers does not affect the cost per round very much. Its the bullets, baby. :)

I don't have a progressive, but am using the LnL single stage and really like it a lot. Just been loading pistol ammo so far and can crank out about 100rnds/hr. Progressive will be much faster.
    I have had no problems with my press (quality or assembly).
    I cannot comment on Hornady's customer service as I have yet to need them. (I have not heard anything bad about it).
    Although when it says 4-6weeks for the bullet offer they mean it. It took about 5 weeks average for mine.

I will definately go with the LnL AP if/when I decide to go progressive.
    (Unless I find a used dillon way cheap).

Oh, and in case you have not seen it, this is some interesting reading: http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillonLeeHornadyComparison.pdf

Thanks so much for the information and breakdown. Right now I'm paying on average $18.99 for a box of 50 .40S&W ammo. Prices have gone up lately due to shortages. So at the rate of 13.50/box I'm saving about $5.50 a box. Which if I do like you say and order everything in bulk, plus the brass I already have picked up, I would be money ahead.

Also, I will be picking up my Reloading press locally at Cabelas for $389.00. I already have most of the dies and accessories from a friend of mine who passed away. Just wish he wouldn't have sold his reloading press.

That article you linked to on here is very informative. Sounds like they're all pretty good systems, and I should just watch for whichever one is the better priced deal.

Thanks again.

Bill

Skyjunky

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Keep an eye out for the the MSN Live Cashback programs. I ended up paying less than $300 on a Hornady LNL AP after the rebate, same with a lot of the equipment. If you go with the new Hornady LNL AP with the EZJect system make sure you buy the shellplates that come in a plastic case. The older ones in the cardboard box will not work.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Keep an eye out for the the MSN Live Cashback programs. I ended up paying less than $300 on a Hornady LNL AP after the rebate, same with a lot of the equipment. If you go with the new Hornady LNL AP with the EZJect system make sure you buy the shellplates that come in a plastic case. The older ones in the cardboard box will not work.

Thanks for the advice. So how do you find those MSN Live Cashback things?

Top Bottom