• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluesoma

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    So I have a russian captured mauser k98. It's in decent condition for a RC. I plan to remove the ugly shellac and then commit what some would consider sacrilege.....putting a scope on it. Now, the thing is that I don't plan on putting some bodunk scope on it. My ultimate plan is to make a repo of a ww2 scoped mauser. Of course this all depends on how well the gun still shoots. I've checked the barrel and the rifling looks good (but I'm not *that* knowledgable)

So to have some point to this thread....should I be talked out of doing this?

If I go ahead, what are some good sources for ww2 repo scopes and what some good gunsmiths in the austin area that would do a good job of drilling and tapping the reciever if required?
    DK Firearms

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I don't see how that's sacrilege, and would advise you to really look over the gun before investing in a scope. You might want to drop it off at the smith and have it re-crowned and glass bedded so that your investment on the scope is worthwhile.

popo22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Gunsmiths

I use "Hank Flemming" gunsnith on south Congress (across from the "DPS" office). I have always had good luck with Hank although he is fairly busy. I know that McBrides uses Hank for mounting scopes as well. Good Luck.

Bluesoma

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Heh, I guess I read way too much, but there's "collectors" out there who want to say you're destroying a piece of history for even just removing the shellac off a russian captured mauser.

Definetly need to have it looked over, but it looks and shoots good. I'm still deciding if I want to get a side mounted scope or a turret mounted scope.

Ah if only all decisions were like this.

Top Bottom