ARJ Defense ad

How much spare ammo is enough to have on you for your "emergency life saving tool"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    For those who do carry such a 'tool' these comments by Massad Ayoob, gun guru, author, instructor and all-around good guy' provides some food for thought. While I have heard/read how few rounds are fired in a civilian gun fight having a spare mag in case of malfunction and/or drop by accident seems like a good idea.

Years ago I took a basic pistol training course with Massad and was very impressed with his depth and breath of knowledge related to firearms.
    Lynx Defense

Attachments

• spare mag.jpg
      spare mag.jpg
      123.4 KB · Views: 125

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I'm a firm believer in JIC.... (Just In Case).

IMO Ayoob is way behind the times... living in the world as it was more than 10 yrs ago, maybe 20.

Today, depending on where you are at the time, you may encounter multiple attackers. These are called "wingmen" and will either be bunched up to gang up on you, or can be trailing behind to cover their JIC.

Another factor is the advise to stitch them up from crotch to face, rather than shooting a double tap and then admiring your work. Unless you have one of those dang 9mm guns that will blow the lungs clean out of their body, they won't stop unless you made a CNS shot on them. Or maybe you missed a lot in your excitement.

I have a 10rd mag in the EDC for better concealment and carry two 17rd mags on the offside for a total of 44 +1.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I'm a firm believer in JIC.... (Just In Case).

IMO Ayoob is way behind the times... living in the world as it was more than 10 yrs ago, maybe 20.

Today, depending on where you are at the time, you may encounter multiple attackers. These are called "wingmen" and will either be bunched up to gang up on you, or can be trailing behind to cover their JIC.

Another factor is the advise to stitch them up from crotch to face, rather than shooting a double tap and then admiring your work. Unless you have one of those dang 9mm guns that will blow the lungs clean out of their body, they won't stop unless you made a CNS shot on them. Or maybe you missed a lot in your excitement.

I have a 10rd mag in the EDC for better concealment and carry two 17rd mags on the offside for a total of 44 +1.
    My motto is shoot till they change shape or catch fire it ain't the movies one and done only counts in a sniper shots

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I carry at least two spare magazines for my Glock 26 but they are Glock 19 magazines with 15 round capacity. If I run out of ammo, I may surprise someone with a backup pistol or two. When I was on the job, I usually carried 4 spare pistol magazines on operations. On some operations I carried 6 spare pistol mags and when I took along the MP5, I carried three or four spare MP5 mags.

I don't carry extra mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not carrying a spare magazine for a semi-auto pistol is asking for trouble. Same goes for a revolver except that speedloaders may be a life saver with a revolver.

With a semi-auto, the mag in the gun may malfunction, it may even fall apart. Yes, I have read at least one shooter's experience where he failed to assemble a mag properly after cleaning it and the base plate fell off when he needed the gun. It also happened to me personally at a range when I was shooting a Beretta 70S in 22LR - same reason, I did not put it back together right after cleaning the magazine. Shame on me but do not think for a moment it could not happen to you - no one is perfect except maybe Gascon. I have seen others drop the loaded mag from the gun inadvertently. That was a big problem with the issued SIG 229 DAKs we carried when I was working and have seen that happen many times when I had collateral duties as an instructor on my job with those SIGs and with other pistols as well.

As Ayoodb said, you may encounter an assailant who grabs for your gun causing the mag to be dropped out of the gun. When I was an instructor on the job, we trained the shooters to do gun takeaways and mag drops for an assailant's gun. We also trained in gun retention and in doing so, we trained the agents to drop the mag in their own gun if they were pretty certain the bad guy was going to get it from them. Why - only one bullet left to try to shoot you with in the gun they just took from you (but if you got it right, you also were able to take the gun out of battery before he/she got it). Of course, if you have a pistol with a mag safety, then the bad guy has no rounds to shoot you with if only one in the chamber and the mag was dropped.

I always carry multiple spare mags, at least two, because I may drop the first spare accidentally in the heat of the moment when reloading and would be out of ammo if that happened. Of course, you may also encounter multiple assailants and need more ammo or miss with your shots and need more (as someone else already mentioned) and in the heat of a guinfight you may miss because of many factors.

You might also encounter an assailant who is hyped up on drugs and require a lot of spare ammo to stop him/her. Sometimes you may encounter an opponent who is not higgh on anything but can still take multiple shots and keep fighting. In most instances a shot to a few well placed shots may be enough to bring down a bad guy but in some cases you would lose the fight if you did not have enough ammo and the bad guy was more or less superman. Don't think that can happen? Well, it may not be an everyday situation but it can happen and indeed has happened; read the article at this link to have your eyes opened: https://www.police1.com/officer-sho...5-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job-clGBbLYpnqqHxwMq/

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I carry at least two spare magazines for my Glock 26 but they are Glock 19 magazines with 15 round capacity. If I run out of ammo, I may surprise someone with a backup pistol or two. When I was on the job, I usually carried 4 spare pistol magazines on operations. On some operations I carried 6 spare pistol mags and when I took along the MP5, I carried three or four spare MP5 mags.

Not carrying a spare magazine for a semi-auto pistol is asking for trouble. Same goes for a revolver except that speedloaders may be a life saver with a revolver.

With a semi-auto, the mag in the gun may malfunction, it may even fall apart. Yes, I have read at least one shooter's experience where he failed to assemble a mag properly after cleaning it and the base plate fell off when he needed the gun. It also happened to me personally at a range when I was shooting a Beretta 70S in 22LR - same reason, I did not put it back together right after cleaning the magazine. Shame on me but do not think for a moment it could not happen to you - no one is perfect except maybe Gascon. I have seen others drop the loaded mag from the gun inadvertently. That was a big problem with the issued SIG 229 DAKs we carried when I was working and have seen that happen many times when I had collateral duties as an instructor on my job with those SIGs and with other pistols as well.

As Ayoodb said, you may encounter an assailant who grabs for your gun causing the mag to be dropped out of the gun. When I was an instructor on the job, we trained the shooters to do gun takeaways and mag drops for an assailant's gun. We also trained in gun retention and in doing so, we trained the agents to drop the mag in their own gun if they were pretty certain the bad guy was going to get it from them. Why - only one bullet left to try to shoot you with in the gun they just took from you (but if you got it right, you also were able to take the gun out of battery before he/she got it). Of course, if you have a pistol with a mag safety, then the bad guy has no rounds to shoot you with if only one in the chamber and the mag was dropped.

I always carry multiple spare mags, at least two, because I may drop the first spare accidentally in the heat of the moment when reloading and would be out of ammo if that happened. Of course, you may also encounter multiple assailants and need more ammo or miss with your shots and need more (as someone else already mentioned) and in the heat of a guinfight you may miss because of many factors.

You might also encounter an assailant who is hyped up on drugs and require a lot of spare ammo to stop him/her. Sometimes you may encounter an opponent who is not higgh on anything but can still take multiple shots and keep fighting. In most instances a shot to a few well placed shots may be enough to bring down a bad guy but in some cases you would lose the fight if you did not have enough ammo and the bad guy was more or less superman. Don't think that can happen? Well, it may not be an everyday situation but it can happen and indeed has happened; read the article at this link to have your eyes opened: https://www.police1.com/officer-sho...5-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job-clGBbLYpnqqHxwMq/
    Agreed 100

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    90 rds is heavy but motto get stronger.
    I carry a sccy or a 380 back up on my ankle 20 rds of each depends on what I'm carrying. But adrenaline plays a factor also.
    I'm not there for a extended gunfight. My plan is to vacate the premises and be a live witness.
    But at home different story.
    300 .308 in magazines 200 in 45 100 in 9
    100 in 12 Guage no mags for this but in easy reach

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    90 rds is heavy but motto get stronger.
    I carry a sccy or a 380 back up on my ankle 20 rds of each depends on what I'm carrying. But adrenaline plays a factor also.
    I'm not there for a extended gunfight. My plan is to vacate the premises and be a live witness.
    But at home different story.
    300 .308 in magazines 200 in 45 100 in 9
    100 in 12 Guage no mags for this but in easy reach
    You must live in some tough neighborhood! :rolleyes:

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    My house is a fatal funnel to a extent one way in 1 out heavy furniture between my room and the door.
    Daughters have handguns in thier rooms.
    Instructions if gunfire breaks out drop to the far side of the bed away from the door shoot anything commin in till they hear my or mommas voice or the cops..

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    This is why I don’t carry a smaller single stack 9mm anymore. Service size. 16 rounds per mag minimum. Extra mag. Even that if it’s my time ain’t nothing I can do but fight and be at peace.

I would actually encourage more people to buy soft body armor.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    I'm in the always carry a spare mag camp.

At home, you can pull out a 12 gauge with slugs and then sure, it's more like 1 shot 1 kill, but pistols are wimpy little things by comparison. Sometimes it takes several shots to put a bad guy out of the fight, and sometimes there are multiple bad guys and misses under stress can happen.

Add in the tiny, but real risk of a malfunction and it just makes sense.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS

This was a good answer. Thank you.

....evaluates mag positions....

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994