How much spare ammo is enough to have on you for your "emergency life saving tool"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TKG

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    I pocket carry, so my options are limited. 7+1 in a Kahr P380 plus a spare 7 rd mag all in a PCS Redoubt. Super compact and easy to slip in and out of my pocket, but not a lot of firepower.

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    My house is a fatal funnel to a extent one way in 1 out heavy furniture between my room and the door.
    Daughters have handguns in thier rooms.
    Instructions if gunfire breaks out drop to the far side of the bed away from the door shoot anything commin in till they hear my or mommas voice or the cops..
    Our house plan was nearly identical to yours with one exception. They knew our voices and code words, but don't trust someone saying they are cops. Stick with step two until you see badges and uniforms.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    My motto is shoot till they change shape or catch fire it ain't the movies one and done only counts in a sniper shots
    I like what that Florida Sheriff said. Fill them with so many holes you can read the newspaper through. At least an extra mag. Although at the moment am guilty of not having one with me.

Last edited:

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I all depends on the situation. If I‘m in a comfortable setting in a reasonably safe area, then I’ll just go with my single stack carry piece. Think CVS two blocks from the house. If I’m anywhere on the bike outside of the immediate area, then I always carry an extra mag, usually I have my G19, but sometimes I take my single stack. When wife and I go on our walks, then def two mags, but single stack carry piece due to weight/conceal ability. We just returned from a road trip to the Carolinas and I took the single stack with four mags because I was after easy concealment. 3 HP and 1 FMJ, but in Texas I probably would have taken my Glock19 with two HP clips and one with FMJ just in case I need penetration. I’m breaking in a BBR 3.10 for carry, so I may change my
    preferences. I’ll note, that prior to the fuquery we are seeing in the world today, I never would have considered carrying more than the mag in my pistol. I don’t plan on a shootout, and I’d be the first person to run in the opposite direction, but given the events over the past several months, I’m forced me to rethink my strategy.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Hopefully I have enough to get me to my car or the next weapon when I'm at home. I do often carry one, maybe two mags. Depends on where I'm at. If I get to my car you may be in for a world of hurt, same at home.
    Ditto. The old adage of using your handgun to fight your way to a long gun comes to mind.

TNMike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2022
    McKinney
    Guess Im less prepared... I daily an LCP 1, which has been my trusty sidekick for about a decade.. I carry the standard 6+1 with Underwood +P 90gr and no spare mag typically.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I carry two 8 rnd Wilson Combat mags in a 1791 carrier. 8 round MecGar in the Condition One 1911. If I’m in gym shorts then it’s a Taurus TCP in a purpose built man-purse (aka fanny pack) with a sparse 6 round spare mag.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    When I carry my RIA M1911 A2 FS HC 14 +1 rounds of .45 and
    1 MAGAzine in the Versacarry holster AND 2 MAGAzines in a Fobus double stack
    I know I am covered. And enough to help anyone else.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I all depends on the situation. If I‘m in a comfortable setting in a reasonably safe area, then I’ll just go with my single stack carry piece. Think CVS two blocks from the house. If I’m anywhere on the bike outside of the immediate area, then I always carry an extra mag, usually I have my G19, but sometimes I take my single stack. When wife and I go on our walks, then def two mags, but single stack carry piece due to weight/conceal ability. We just returned from a road trip to the Carolinas and I took the single stack with four mags because I was after easy concealment. 3 HP and 1 FMJ, but in Texas I probably would have taken my Glock19 with two HP clips and one with FMJ just in case I need penetration. I’m breaking in a BBR 3.10 for carry, so I may change my
    preferences. I’ll note, that prior to the fuquery we are seeing in the world today, I never would have considered carrying more than the mag in my pistol. I don’t plan on a shootout, and I’d be the first person to run in the opposite direction, but given the events over the past several months, I’m forced me to rethink my strategy.
    My thoughts are having enough to cover my retreat especially if I have my grandbaby and momma with me.
    But I'm doing my best to get momma to carry hers

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    For those who do carry such a 'tool' these comments by Massad Ayoob, gun guru, author, instructor and all-around good guy' provides some food for thought. While I have heard/read how few rounds are fired in a civilian gun fight having a spare mag in case of malfunction and/or drop by accident seems like a good idea.

Years ago I took a basic pistol training course with Massad and was very impressed with his depth and breath of knowledge related to firearms.
    My revolver has no magazine to worry about. If I do carry a semi I will carry a spare magazine, never know when the mag will just fall out or spew the ammo out or you have to remove it to clear a jam. Come to think of it, I may not carry a semi.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    My revolver has no magazine to worry about. If I do carry a semi I will carry a spare magazine, never know when the mag will just fall out or spew the ammo out or you have to remove it to clear a jam. Come to think of it, I may not carry a semi.
    I do have seven round clips for my back up .357 magnum.

Top Bottom