• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    i try to at least give them a good wipe and oil after every range visit but i usually only detail clean them once or twice a month if its been a busy month.. i know some glock guys who dont really clean their guns often at all, if any. lol.

SO758

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Central TX
    After I shoot them they go home and get a complete clean. Safe guns that don't get shot get wiped down and checked about every six months.

Duty weapon, every month cleaning and check. No matter what.

dtalley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Lost in BCS
    not near as often as I should. I wipe down the guns that have not left the safe in a while every 6 months or so. but the ones I shoot often get neglected and only cleaned about every third time to the range or field. Carry gun gets it once a month (for lent and other pocket bugs).

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I usually clean mine once every other time I go shooting, unless I shoot alot of rounds then I'll clean it. My 1911 I cleaned every time, with the exception of once to check how it fed dirty.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    My Mosins get cleaned whenever, as long as I don't fire corrosive ammo through them. I do clean them before and after any time I go hunting. My accurate rifles (K-31, .308 Tikka, AR-15) get cleaned after a range session/hunting always. I use a plastic brush if I have shot many rounds through them, but use only patches if I have only shot a few rounds. My 1911 gets cleaned every 100 rounds or so, and my M&P 9 gets cleaned every 500 rounds, I do put a little oil in it between cleanings. My .22s get cleaned throughly about every brick through them.

jim t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Hawley Texas
    man I love to clean my guns it is part of how I relax. I may not have shot a gun in years, but i will take it down and clean it when I clean the ones I have shot.
    I may spend three hours cleaning guns every other week. if I shoot some of them I will clean all of them. Just something I like to do. :p

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I usually clean my guns after every range use with a few passes from a bore snake. Also, in addition I'll bust out the cleaning kit usually once a month to do a proper cleaning and get that last ~10% or so of fouling out. I might be a little OCD with the bore snake, but for some reason I just like knowing that most of the bigger debris has been cleaned out of the barrel and only a little fouling remains. ;)

LHB1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    +1. I usually clean a gun when I get home after firing it. There are a few exceptions due to circumstances or time constraints but in those cases the fired gun is cleaned the next day. When I disappear from the forum for a while tonight, I will be in the garage cleaning the Wilson Protector I shot today at Carter's range.

drj3828

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Grimes County, TX
    My theory about guns is if they have to be clean to function I don't want them. I clean mine when I get around to it. I have a CZ-75 in 9mm that works fine dirty or clean. Also my Benielle NOVA has not been clean since it fell off my ATV in the creek and then Ijust blew it off with compressed air and sprad it with some type of lube.
    I might be wrong in my thoughts but it has worked for me for years!
    DRJ

Enron Exec

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Behind 16 rnds of 9x19mm
    i try to at least give them a good wipe and oil after every range visit but i usually only detail clean them once or twice a month if its been a busy month.. i know some glock guys who dont really clean their guns often at all, if any. lol.

I think Red is referring to this Glock owner.

Anyone seen that Glock abuse test some owner did. He dunked the gun in dirt, snow, mud, water, saw dust.. etc and the gun would fire just about every time. The only times the gun didnt were because so much crap was caked on the inside, a bullet simple could not chamber.

And taking the gun apart, one can see the vast tolerance of spaces between parts. This offers higher reliability at the cost of a mushy trigger and some inherent inaccuracy in the gun i think. This is also reflected in the gun's polygonal rifling. Its a small trade off in accuracy compared to typical rifling, but it resists wear and fowling much better.

edit: typo in bold

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Everyday! Just kidding.After shooting and every three months for the ones I do not shoot.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    It depends. My Bullseye .22s (HS Victor, Trophy and a Marvel conversion) get the bolt face and breech cleaned off with a dry brush and I wipe them down after a range visit. I clean their magazines every 2K rounds or so. I make sure there's lube on the slides.

My .38 Special 1911 and .45 1911 wad gun get stripped and cleaned about every 200 rounds. At least once a year, I totally take them apart and spray them down with Brake Cleaner. Then they get put back together and lubed (slide rails, barrel where it meets the bushing, top of the barrel where it contacts the slide fore and aft). I clean their magazines every 2K rounds and make the springs are okay and the followers are clean and work as they should.

My Hardball .45 1911 gets wiped down after range time, but I only clean the barrel just before a match. I'll field strip it once a year or so. It does not get as many rounds through it as the others and the FMJ rounds don't dirty the gun up as much as the lead bullets I use in the wad guns.

XoZe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2008
    Plano, TX
    Yes, I'm one of "those" GLOCK owners. Maybe clean it once a month or every other month, as opposed to the Kimber which I clean every time I get back from the range.

Top Bottom