• Total voters

StevenC.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    San Antonio
    How often do you practice by dry-fire?

Results are private.

[If you... practiced your draw from holster/grabbing the gun off the night stand, practiced sighting down the hall, experimented with your rail-mounted light to see how well it illuminated certain spaces in or around your house, or just held a family huddle at dinner to discuss what to do if someone kicks down the door, the home/car alarm sounds one night, dude pulls a knife in the movie theater parking lot... you practiced (some people just practice more "seriously" than others)]
    Military Camp

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I try to dry fire between range trips. So probably every other week but just for 10-15 minutes twice a week. Im trying to get in a better routine with it. Have some little targets in my garage to practice on.

If SIRT would ever release their M&P id dry fire more. I bought a laserlyte without the laser for cheap but it is real junk.

Bought the Ben Stoeger dry fire book. I think it only helps if I open it.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Honestly? Ten minutes a day, usually in my bedroom. Previous renter used it as their infant's room, and there are still a bunch of multi-color dots from 3-6" across on the wall that I use as "targets". It's only about four or five yards (probably not even that) from one wall to the other, but ya work with what ya got, right?

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I dry fire from the draw daily. Sometimes 5 times, sometimes 10-15. Every couple of weeks, I will chamber the LaserLyte cartridge and do a 15 minute session or so. I have an orange B27 target in my work shop tacked to the wall and stand about 18 feet back.

stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    Didn't dry fire much at all, but then I got one of those lazerlyte training rounds.

Makes it far more fun, pop the fake round in (check, double check) and then start practicing. The light comes on for just enough time to see where it hit (point of impact can be a little off) and if you've jerked the trigger (line rather than dot)

Its ~$70, but well worth it.

Rios

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2013
    Humble, TX
    I'd say about twice a month I go all out. I will even bust out the "Practical" bolt rifle and practice manipulation/dry fire with snap caps. I don't make it out to the rifle range as much as the indoor pistol range.

Wabbit69

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Austin
    AT LEAST WEEKLY for drawstroke. Probably closer to every third day. If I happen to change holsters, (I've got two, depending on the mode of dress), I'll take a couple of minutes to practice the drawstroke and make the final adjustments before heading out.

Dry trigger press weekly.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    AT LEAST WEEKLY for drawstroke. Probably closer to every third day. If I happen to change holsters, (I've got two, depending on the mode of dress), I'll take a couple of minutes to practice the drawstroke and make the final adjustments before heading out.

Dry trigger press weekly.
    Smart move with the holsters. I was carrying in a different type of holster on Saturday and when I went to practice my draw I found it much slower. It was a safariland with the clip that goes under the belt. So when I grasp the gun initially it moves the whole holster down 1/4" then back up 1/4" before the gun starts to release.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Dry firing is SOP for me. I don't worry in the least about damaging the firearm either rifle or pistol. When I was competing in HP rifle matches, I bought one AR-15 just for dry firing. The problem was that it turned out to be a terrific shooter and became my favorite match rifle! It suffered a battered magazine latch which cost $13 to replace. I shot that rifle in countless matches over 8 years.

Flash

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I would prefer a DA for dry fire practice. Racking the slide each time gets old.

Guess I need to buy another gun.

Mxfreak_24

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Keller, TX
    Yeah, because why would you actually want to get better at something?

I advocate dry firing every day if possible. Once I'm dressed and ready for the day I find a light switch across the house and do dry presses on it for a good 3-5 minutes. It also makes sense to do more than just dry fire, get the whole holster presentation incorporated. Just focus on being smooth and practice practice practice.

If you have an CHL and carry a firearm on the daily, but neglect training; please do yourself and everyone else and favor and start leaving it at home because all you are is a liability. I'm tired of seeing people at the range being content with having their B-27 target look like it was hit by a shotgun at 5 yards and saying something stupid like "That's good enough to keep him down". Never be content, never be satisfied. Always strive for excellence and being the best and what you are doing.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom