Venture Surplus ad

How often do you practice pistol shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How often do you practice shooting a pistol?

• Multiple times a week! I have ammo for days baby!

Votes: 5 7.4%
    • At least once a week.

Votes: 11 16.2%
    • I try to get a good session in every month.

Votes: 39 57.4%
    • Maybe every 6 months, I'm not big on shooting pistols.

Votes: 8 11.8%
    • Glock Boyz Unite!!!

Votes: 5 7.4%

• Total voters

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas

Reason I ask is because in my recent LTC class to get my LTC 100 documentation, in my group, out of 5 people, 3 failed to get the 275 points required on target. I passed with flying colors obviously, and a guy who was a vet in OEF was actually shooting next to my lane, passed as well. I felt like I wasn't even trying. Normally, I am shooting pistol about once a week, though since I moved to Texas, I'm only shooting about once a month (that will change very soon).

We both looked at each other as they were grading the other guy's targets and was surprised at how many misses these dudes were having. I mean, we're talking 50% of shots missed at 3,7, and 15 yards. :twin: One of them was shooting a Buckmark 22lr which I thought was a tack driver. Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, DPS sent me an e-mail and said my application is moving forward, 45 days until my LTC is in the mail hopefully!

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Used to go every weekend. Right now we are pinching pennies….wife isn’t apparently. I might start training with steel cased 9mm.

Yeah today's ammo market is crazy. I just bought a case of 9mm, and I thought in my head as I hit the "place order" button... "Dang, this is what a case of 45 ACP used to cost...".

Oh well, I'm probably making more money than back then, but still hurts a little.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I still get a little surprised when I take people shooting sometimes. A work buddy and his kids came along. Great! Then I saw the target. We're talking over a foot groups at 25yds with an AR. Holy phuck stick Batman! Some people just move too much and can't shoot.
    I don't know if it's what helped me, but every kid should have a Nintendo and a copy of Duck Hunt. I played that shit for hours, and loathed that damn laughing dog. Then I grew up having contest with my cousin, who could make a bigger pile of dead birds with our bb guns on Sundays. Starting young is key IMHO.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    I still get a little surprised when I take people shooting sometimes. A work buddy and his kids came along. Great! Then I saw the target. We're talking over a foot groups at 25yds with an AR. Holy phuck stick Batman! Some people just move too much and can't shoot.
    I don't know if it's what helped me, but every kid should have a Nintendo and a copy of Duck Hunt. I played that shit for hours, and loathed that damn laughing dog. Then I grew up having contest with my cousin, who could make a bigger dead bird pile with our bb guns on Sundays. Starting young is key IMHO.

Duck hunt was the bee's knees back in the day. Wish I still had my NES.

I will say this, what really has helped me is dry fire (with a dedicated snap cap). When I'm in my home office working on something that is kind of frustrating, I sometimes start dry firing one of my pistols and lining up the sights to relax and get my focus back. I've been doing this for years.

Now when I'm bringing up my gun to get sight alignment, it's stupid easy.

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball

Reason I ask is because in my recent LTC class to get my LTC 100 documentation, in my group, out of 5 people, 3 failed to get the 275 points required on target. I passed with flying colors obviously, and a guy who was a vet in OEF was actually shooting next to my lane, passed as well. I felt like I wasn't even trying. Normally, I am shooting pistol about once a week, though since I moved to Texas, I'm only shooting about once a month (that will change very soon).

We both looked at each other as they were grading the other guy's targets and was surprised at how many misses these dudes were having. I mean, we're talking 50% of shots missed at 3,7, and 15 yards. :twin: One of them was shooting a Buckmark 22lr which I thought was a tack driver. Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, DPS sent me an e-mail and said my application is moving forward, 45 days until my LTC is in the mail hopefully!
    I didn’t know you could shoot a .22 to qualify for the LTC.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I used to have a laser on a 642 airweight and I would call a shot. Light switch living room, draw and hit the laser to see where I would have hit. I got scary good at it and started shooting floating sticks at the river. It's a whole new level of fun to shoot from the hip somewhat accurately. Practice at home definitely has it's place.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    I didn’t know you could shoot a .22 to qualify for the LTC.

Yeah, apparently you can.

But you can't qualify with a red dot, you have to turn it off, or use one of their stock pistols.

And if you're shooting a DA/SA pistol, you have to do at least one of the fire drills using a DA pull. Those were the rules explained in the class.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Cobra does hire anyone.
    Item241261.jpg__77640.1624821114.jpg

Last edited:

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Yeah, apparently you can.

But you can't qualify with a red dot.

And if you're shooting a DA/SA pistol, you have to do at least one of the fire drills using a DA pull. Those were the rules explained in the class.
    News to me.

AFAIK, da/sa didn't matter, nor did red dots, though i know there was some rule about light emitting aiming devices.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    A few times a month.

Also, I might be offline for a few days, so I’ll just go ahead and answer your next few questions now:

• 12 gauge steel minimum and a combo lock.
    • Kydex, mostly.
    • Yea, twice, but I prefer sporting clays.
    • Never had good luck with tungsten.
    • 2 hours. Longer if I lose one of the springs.
    • Weimeriner.
    • Only in a gun marked for it.
    • ‘71 Challenger.
    • With a cheek riser.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    News to me.

AFAIK, da/sa didn't matter, nor did red dots, though i know there was some rule about light emitting aiming devices.

Hmm maybe it's different for whoever is doing the LTC 100 paperwork?

All I know is Buckmark boy had a Glock MOS with a Trijicon on it and they said he could remove the RMR or turn it off, or use another gun. He choose to use the Buckmark and didn't actually pass.

The DA/SA rule I only learned about because the instructor said one of the guys had to use the pistol on DA at least once. This was the one other guy who passed (the vet), he was using an HK USP, and the dude could seriously shoot. His groups were literally the size of my thumb after 50 rounds.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Hmm maybe it's different for whoever is doing the LTC 100 paperwork?

All I know is Buckmark boy had a Glock MOS with a Trijicon on it and they said he could remove the RMR or turn it off, or use another gun. He choose to use the Buckmark and didn't actually pass.

The DA/SA rule I only learned about because the instructor said one of the guys had to use the pistol on DA at least once. This was the one other guy who passed (the vet), he was using an HK USP, and the dude could seriously shoot. His groups were literally the size of my thumb after 50 rounds.
    An instructor i know was telling me about the red dot thing, from what i remember it technically doesn't allow it (it was meant to disqualify lasers) but lots of instructor's were allowing RD's anyways.

I've never seen an instructor require a DA shot, and I don't recall anything like that during my NRA instructor class.

Hell, most of the others taking that class couldn't shoot the loaner 9mm 1911 or the model 10 worth a damn anways. I'd hate to see them wrestle with a DA/SA auto

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom