Gun Zone Deals

How often do you practice pistol shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How often do you practice shooting a pistol?

• Multiple times a week! I have ammo for days baby!

Votes: 5 7.4%
    • At least once a week.

Votes: 11 16.2%
    • I try to get a good session in every month.

Votes: 39 57.4%
    • Maybe every 6 months, I'm not big on shooting pistols.

Votes: 8 11.8%
    • Glock Boyz Unite!!!

Votes: 5 7.4%

• Total voters

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    After XL or 72 yrs, you stop worrying about it!

Maybe when I'm 72 I won't care because I'll be in St. Augustine working on my boat, but right now? I definitely care about how my suit jacket looks out in public. It's just harder to get a fitted suit when you're proportions get too large (no offense to chubbies in the thread, I ain't hating).
    Texas SOT

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    @CaliGunner the time I was shot at was probably not the norm. Doing farm work back in the day when I was such a handsome stud and all the farm girls wanted to take me in the barn.

A neighbor to the property got drunk and decided to shoot at us with a 30-06. No one was on or around his property guy just had issues. Ultimately we had to sneak up to him using the river and my instructions to my friend was as come up on him if I hit the dirt you pop his ass. My friend was in the bushes with a rifle at that point. Cops eventually helped deal with him but the sound of 30-06 rounds going by your head is like a metal saw blade warping just more intense.

Damn dude. That's a crazy story.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I used to shoot pistol at least once a month. AFAIK/IMO, it is a perishable skill that needs to be maintained. For most folks, being accurate with a pistol does NOT come naturally.

Many years ago, I became a USPSA competitor, in part to learn to move and shoot. Then later I joined IDPA, in part to learn use of cover, shooting from diff positions and while backing up etc. We shot laying down, sitting down, laying on my back, moving targets, and a Tueller drill to prove a point.

I don't consider myself to be a gunslinger, that is an attitude that will get ya killed. But when my dominant eye went bad I had to switch to my left eye sighting... it wasn't too hard to retrain, but it slowed me down a lot and it somewhat changes the mechanics of arm positioning. I wasn't happy with my scores even tho the guys kept telling me I'm doing fine for a 70yr old. But at 70, and with ammo prices where they are, I'm just not as driven/motivated as I once was. In fact, I'm giving my G34 to my daughter and will only have my carry gun and a Ruger .22lr 22/45.

Life brings changes.

TX oddball

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    DFW
    Exactly. Why have them at all? That's been my point.

Actually, you started this thread complaining about the other Texas shooters in your class, and you smugly proclaimed to pass "with flying colors obviously". Then you started in on how CA has more difficult and stringent requirements for a permit, something you wanted to see in Texas. Basically TX should do as CA does.

This is the point I got from your thread.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    The state wants more of your money

Yup, esp here. I quit buying fishing licenses years ago.

That said, whatever happened to the Pittman/Robertson funding? States need game laws and those game laws need to be enforced or the scumbags will leave us with no fish and no game.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Actually, you started this thread complaining about the other Texas shooters in your class, and you smugly proclaimed to pass "with flying colors obviously". Then you started in on how CA has more difficult and stringent requirements for a permit, something you wanted to see in Texas. Basically TX should do as CA does.

Ah, another wonderful transplant bringing civilization to the rednecks!!!

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas

Someone else commented on me mentioning the CA requirements (which included reloading a mag) and they said "It was a barrier and whoever thought it up was no friend of 2A" to which I disagreed with because I believe being able to reload a mag is part of being proficient with a handgun.

I never said Texas should be like California and you will never read that from me.

Top Bottom