Venture Surplus ad

How often do you practice pistol shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How often do you practice shooting a pistol?

• Multiple times a week! I have ammo for days baby!

Votes: 5 7.4%
    • At least once a week.

Votes: 11 16.2%
    • I try to get a good session in every month.

Votes: 39 57.4%
    • Maybe every 6 months, I'm not big on shooting pistols.

Votes: 8 11.8%
    • Glock Boyz Unite!!!

Votes: 5 7.4%

• Total voters

RankAmateur

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2022
    New Braunfels
    Yeah, apparently you can.

But you can't qualify with a red dot, you have to turn it off, or use one of their stock pistols.

And if you're shooting a DA/SA pistol, you have to do at least one of the fire drills using a DA pull. Those were the rules explained in the class.
    No restriction on red dots.

OP, had the same experience as you during recent LTC class, but agree with @toddnjoyce as 9 of the 12 people in the class had never even held a pistol prior to the shooting test. Instructors spent 10 minutes at the range putting pistols into the student's hands, showing them where the mag releases were, showing them how to load mags, etc. It was pretty eye opening to me. TX shooting test also assesses the student's ability to follow directions. One student failed in our class because he speed dumped the 5 rounds loaded into his mag EVERY time the signal to fire was given :rocket:

Very different experience to getting my LTCs for Utah and MA. In the Northeast, EVERY person in out LTC class had spent (at least) weeks shooting with friends/instructors before enrolling in the LTC classes. Shooting test in MA was actually a safety test (had to demonstrate that you could safely load/unload, cock/decock, hold and aim both revolver and semi-auto, without inadvertently covering anyone else in the room with the muzzles (grin), and then had to put 5 holes in a target 5 yards away with whatever pistol you brought/borrowed for the test.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    No restriction on red dots.

OP, had the same experience as you during recent LTC class, but agree with @toddnjoyce as 9 of the 12 people in the class had never even held a pistol prior to the shooting test. Instructors spent 10 minutes at the range putting pistols into the student's hands, showing them where the mag releases were, showing them how to load mags, etc. It was pretty eye opening to me. TX shooting test also assesses the student's ability to follow directions. One student failed in our class because he speed dumped the 5 rounds loaded into his mag EVERY time the signal to fire was given :rocket:

Very different experience to getting my LTCs for Utah and MA. In the Northeast, EVERY person in out LTC class had spent (at least) weeks shooting with friends/instructors before enrolling in the LTC classes. Shooting test in MA was actually a safety test (had to demonstrate that you could safely load/unload, cock/decock, hold and aim both revolver and semi-auto, without inadvertently covering anyone else in the room with the muzzles (grin), and then had to put 5 holes in a target 5 yards away with whatever pistol you brought/borrowed for the test.

You want to know something funny? I feel like my California CCW qualification group was full of very skilled shooters compared to my Texas LTC group.

In California, CCWs are extremely rare, some counties don't even issue them (not sure now due to the supreme court ruling in Breun). In the counties that did issue them, you had to have a credible "good cause" statement, and the range qualification seemed more complex.

You had to fire at 3,7, and 10 yards. BUT, you had to do an emergency reload in between shot strings. So the first drill would be like "fire 5 shots on mark, slide locks back, drop mag, load another mag, tap/rack or release slide, fire another 5 shots". Then it would continue. You had to get 25 shots out of 30 on target WITH the gun you intended to put on your CCW (yes in Cali, you had to have a list of guns on your CCW).

So overall, you had to show that you had familiarity with your weapon, enough so that you could do a reload on a locked back slide WHILE shooting, and continue shooting within the time limit. The mechanics may seem simple to people who shoot regularly, but to a newbie? Kind of scares me.

In my CCW group in California, everyone basically got 30 out of 30 shots on target. Very nice groupings too.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    Lots of new gun owners in the last couple of years. It bewilders me hearing some of the things they say and think. Hollyweird and YouTube has given a lot of them the impression it ain’t that hard.

Thinking back to my first Texas concealed carry class, mid 90’s, we had to shoot, load mags, reload, demonstrate weapons manipulation/ safety handling, etc
    out to at 15 yards. I remember one qual where we shot to 25 yards.

Seems to me a little tightening up with the new regs is in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ..Seems to me a little tightening up with the new regs is in order….
    Why? Permitless carry has no training or qualification requirement.

If anything needs to change with LTC it’s to move away from a marksmanship based shooting proficiency and towards a scenario based practical proficiency demonstrations such as shoot/no-shoot decisions.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I don’t like the idea of increasing requirements because it results in elitism. How many times do gun owners trip over there own feet in promoting gun rights?

People may not like it, but it’s a persons god given right to use a gun without regulations.

Seems to me the answers are in how people teach and what they teach.

There are people who have physical limitations like my mother in law who are sharp mentally. You don’t just encourage a system where it’s hard for her to defend herself.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Lots of new gun owners in the last couple of years. It bewilders me hearing some of the things they say and think. Hollyweird and YouTube has given a lot of them the impression it ain’t that hard.

Thinking back to my first Texas concealed carry class, mid 90’s, we had to shoot, load mags, reload, demonstrate weapons manipulation/ safety handling, etc
    out to at 15 yards. I remember one qual where we shot to 25 yards.

Seems to me a little tightening up with the new regs is in order.

I definitely think they should be including reloads, not sure why it's not mandatory here.

25 yards sounds good too, we can call it the Dicken Standard. 10 shots at 40 yards, must score 8 hits. :laughing:

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    I don’t like the idea of increasing requirements because it results in elitism. How many times do gun owners trip over there own feet in promoting gun rights?

People may not like it, but it’s a persons god given right to use a gun without regulations.

Seems to me the answers are in how people teach and what they teach.

There are people who have physical limitations like my mother in law who are sharp mentally. You don’t just encourage a system where it’s hard for her to defend herself.

Man, I knew you would come in here with that 2WD logic.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas

If anything needs to change with LTC it’s to move away from a marksmanship based shooting proficiency and towards a scenario based practical proficiency demonstrations such as shoot/no-shoot decisions.
    That sounds good too!

I also would add, what about "descalation training", like scenarios you would have to find a way to NOT use the gun to pass (verbal judo, walk away, etc).

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Man, I knew you would come in here with that 2WD logic.
    It’s true though. Regs and time should be flexible as not to prevent someone from exercising a right.

If I coach little league football, as I am soon, my responsibility is to try my best to grow each players skill sets. If I show an older person jui jitsu or boxing, do I expect that person to perform the same as a 21 year old? They still have a natural right to self preservation. Same with helping a mentally handicapped kid learn to box. Yea I did show a mentally handicapped kid to box.

Older I get I just dislike more regulations. It’s a big mental jerk off.

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    It’s true though. Regs and time should be flexible as not to prevent someone from exercising a right.

If I coach little league football, as I am soon, my responsibility is to try my best to grow each players skill sets. If I show an older person jui jitsu or boxing, do I expect that person to perform the same as a 21 year old? They still have a natural right to self preservation. Same with helping a mentally handicapped kid learn to box. Yea I did show a mentally handicapped kid to box.

Older I get I just dislike more regulations. It’s a big mental jerk off.

Naw, I agree with you. I love constitutional carry, but I think we as "gunners" should strive to be better, that's all I'm saying. Make it a requirement? Probably not for a lot of the reasons you laid out.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Naw, I agree with you. I love constitutional carry, but I think we as "gunners" should strive to be better, that's all I'm saying. Make it a requirement? Probably not for a lot of the reasons you laid out.
    If the government gets involved at all it needs to be for the least amount required. Striving to be better is a great thing it’s just why should our standards be everyone’s who’s mentally competent? I won’t stand in the way of some old guy who’s going to be slower.

My basic requirements would be good judgment and understanding what accuracy they are capable of. That’s it. I’m over nanny state crap.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Better example: civil war 2.0

You’re helping train whoever will join. Do you teach basics and give em a gun or do you try to teach them to be oaf?

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022

I got to say, I like that idea.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Rant over. Sorry for derailment of the thread. Some things just boil my fjb blood lately.

You made some good valid points.
    But I do have to agree somewhat with what Caligunner said about as gun owners we should take it amongst ourselves to strive to be better. I am glad Texas has CC. But Texas still has a long way to go to make it better.
    FJB.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    You made some good valid points.
    But I do have to agree somewhat with what Caligunner said about as gun owners we should take it amongst ourselves to strive to be better. I am glad Texas has CC. But Texas still has a long way to go to make it better.
    FJB.

My biggest point being striving to be better is a personal choice or needs to be taught. If our constitutional rights are granted to us by our creator, how do we limit infringement?

Top Bottom