DK Firearms

How often do you practice pistol shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How often do you practice shooting a pistol?

• Multiple times a week! I have ammo for days baby!

Votes: 5 7.4%
    • At least once a week.

Votes: 11 16.2%
    • I try to get a good session in every month.

Votes: 39 57.4%
    • Maybe every 6 months, I'm not big on shooting pistols.

Votes: 8 11.8%
    • Glock Boyz Unite!!!

Votes: 5 7.4%

• Total voters

Tank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2022
    Houston
    Not as often as I would like to, but when I go, its is going to be multiple models and multiple calibers. Make the most of the visit to the range. I would like to learn to master rifling, that is really my next goal, from everything to sighting, to windage, to elevation approximation. To me its like golf, get the little ball in the hole or get the round in the center.

rsmith86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2021
    Dallas
    I have recently moved away from Texas, but while I lived there I sadly didn't go more often than once a month (mostly because it was a static range and grew tired of just shooting paper with no holster draw or anything. Here in Idaho I found a range that was cheap and allows me to run drills. I have gone once a week and have already improved. I have not ever really been a bad shot, but am working on getting faster and more accurate with handguns.

LynnKCicle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2022
    Houston, Texas

Reason I ask is because in my recent LTC class to get my LTC 100 documentation, in my group, out of 5 people, 3 failed to get the 275 points required on target. I passed with flying colors obviously, and a guy who was a vet in OEF was actually shooting next to my lane, passed as well. I felt like I wasn't even trying. Normally, I am shooting pistol about once a week, though since I moved to Texas, I'm only shooting about once a month (that will change very soon).

We both looked at each other as they were grading the other guy's targets and was surprised at how many misses these dudes were having. I mean, we're talking 50% of shots missed at 3,7, and 15 yards. :twin: One of them was shooting a Buckmark 22lr which I thought was a tack driver. Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, DPS sent me an e-mail and said my application is moving forward, 45 days until my LTC is in the mail hopefully!
    I go to the range once or twice a month. But I also have an airsoft pistol and a BB gun, both of which are 1911 clones and similar enough to my carry gun that they fit the same holster. I practice with those twice a week.

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    "One of them was shooting a Buckmark 22lr which I thought was a tack driver. Maybe I'm wrong." -- Caligunner

No, you're not wrong: It's HIGHLY likely the shooter was the "limiting agent" there. ;-)

As for the Poll Question here, I pretty much NEVER do any "target practive" -- for years now. In my case it seems that I don't get any better when I practice, but then I don't get any worse when I don't practice. So it's a wash, if you will.
    So in MY case, "target practice" is just wasting ammo...and at today's outrageous ammo prices (akin to Ford Bronco prices perhaps, relatively-speaking!) WHY waste ammo?
    Not me...
    The only time I DO go out to shoot is to make sure a gun (and/or magazines) is working, and/or the ammo I'm carrying in it has no isses feeding/functioning (like working the slide).
    Otherwise, my ammo supplies are stored-away, never used -- unless it's "needed" in some future scenario. ;-)
    -- BR

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    No, you're not wrong: It's HIGHLY likely the shooter was the "limiting agent" there. ;-)
    Agreed. More times than I can remember, I've been at a public outdoor range and watched people shooting pistols at targets 7 yards away. The funniest times are always after a rain when it easy to see the splashes being made as their bullets impact the ground about 5 yards out.

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Agreed. More times than I can remember, I've been at a public outdoor range and watched people shooting pistols at targets 7 yards away. The funniest times are always after a rain when it easy to see the splashes being made as their bullets impact the ground about 5 yards out.
    Yes...people SHOULD be able to make all/most of their qualification points on the first (closest) target. Catch-up (if needed) on the second-range target, leaving the third-range target as "gravy." Just concentrate...and don't use "more" of a gun than you can handle. IMO, bullet-placement is the MOST important factor, not the gun/caliber you're carrying.
    -- BR

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    often

Today was 45 day.
    Git some.
    72D640E8-5E49-4A0C-88D3-0C29F4E5465C.jpeg

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I moved from a remote 13 acres surrounded by Nasty Forest in SW Colorado to Lake Granbury 3 years ago. I have a 100 yard range and a pistol range in Colorado and shot weekly. Now I have to pay to play so shoot pistols once a month and rifles at my Panhandle family ranch every other month (500 meter and 100yard ranges there) but it is a 4 1/2 hour drive. I would love to find a shooting club with a range even if only black powder and .22. Anyone know of one near Hood County?

LynnKCicle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2022
    Houston, Texas

Reason I ask is because in my recent LTC class to get my LTC 100 documentation, in my group, out of 5 people, 3 failed to get the 275 points required on target. I passed with flying colors obviously, and a guy who was a vet in OEF was actually shooting next to my lane, passed as well. I felt like I wasn't even trying. Normally, I am shooting pistol about once a week, though since I moved to Texas, I'm only shooting about once a month (that will change very soon).

We both looked at each other as they were grading the other guy's targets and was surprised at how many misses these dudes were having. I mean, we're talking 50% of shots missed at 3,7, and 15 yards. :twin: One of them was shooting a Buckmark 22lr which I thought was a tack driver. Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, DPS sent me an e-mail and said my application is moving forward, 45 days until my LTC is in the mail hopefully!
    I try tobpractice in my own hallway once oe twice a month. I have both an airsoft and a bb pistol which mimic my carry gun so closely they both fit well in my carry holster. Both are also blowbacks, ao recoil is mimiced, also.

Top Bottom