• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My tastes flip flop at random. One month I might be into C&Rs and the next I'm into more modern stuff. For the last 7-8 months I have been really into ARs and modern handguns. Then one day for no reason at all, I start looking at antique rifles and end up buying a Springfield Trapdoor. Just like that, my tastes flip flopped and now I am apparently into cartridge firing guns from the Civil War to WWI. I blame the ADHD.

How about you guys? How often do your tastes change?
    Gun Zone Deals

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I think my taste in guns have changed very little since I was a little kid. I have wanted machine guns since I first read about them being legal in the back of gun magazines. Having always liked hunting I have always had that covered too. Black powder was a very short lived deal as the smoke sucked. Never owned cowboy guns as I never was into it.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    20+ years ago I was more into rifles than pistols (about 80% rifles and 20% pistols). Now I am more into pistols than rifles (95% pistols and 5% rifles).

The only thing that has not changed for me over the years is that I do not like frames made of plastic as well as striker fired actions.

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    My tastes are fairly wide and varied, but I wouldn't say they change. Might just focus more on a particular type of firearm at a particular time depending on current inventory and needs/wants.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My tastes are fairly wide and varied, but I wouldn't say they change. Might just focus more on a particular type of firearm at a particular time depending on current inventory and needs/wants.

I think that's a better description of what I was getting out by taste change. I still like modern guns, C&R and all of that. My focus has shifted to older guns though.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I wouldn't say they "change" as much as they "expand." "Change" would imply I am no longer interested in past interests, and that is simply not the case. Instead, I find something new that I am interested in, and I add that to the list.

In terms of acquisitions, I definitely go through phases. For several years, I almost exclusively bought CR items; but I have not added a firearm to my ledger in years. In fact, my overall interest in acquiring new firearms has waned. I've picked on one gun this year, and I am not even sure I added one to the collection last year.

Does that mean I have lost interest in shooting? Well, I definitely don't go to the range as much as I used to; but I haven't given up on the hobby. It's just that I've "peaked" in terms of acquisitions, so these days I tend to be a bit more selective in what I pick up.

Of course, having a kid in college for the past five years may factor into that!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I had a blast shooting your Mosin Nagant revolver!

You mean the Nagant M1895, designed and produced by Belgian industrialist Léon Nagant...

latest?cb=20070507102630.jpg

Nagant and his brother Émile had previously been involved with Russian Sergei Ivanovich Mosin in the design of the 3-line rifle, Model 1891 (Russian: "трёхлинейная винтовка образца 1891 года"), colloquially known as Mosin–Nagant; but Mosin never made a revolver.

Production of the M1895 began in Liège, Belgium; however, Russia purchased the manufacturing rights three years later and moved production to the Tula Arsenal at first then later Izhevsk as well as Państwowa Fabryka Karabinów in Poland to produce some 2,000,000 examples between 1895–1945.

While the 7.62×38mmR round was fairly anemic, it was unusual in that the round sat inside the brass...

1920px-76238r_Mil.jpg

The M1895 also had an interesting gas-seal system in which the cylinder moved forward to close the gap between the cylinder and the barrel when the gun was cocked, providing a slight boost to the muzzle velocity of the fired projectile but more importantly allowing the weapon to be better suppressed! Original Nagant revolver suppressors are extremely rare, but many have used modern ones on them thanks to the already-threaded barrel!

Attachments

• latest?cb=20070507102630.jpg
      latest?cb=20070507102630.jpg
      16.9 KB · Views: 516
    • 1920px-76238r_Mil.jpg
      1920px-76238r_Mil.jpg
      224.6 KB · Views: 532

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    You mean the Nagant M1895, designed and produced by Belgian industrialist Léon Nagant...

View attachment 210292

Nagant and his brother Émile had previously been involved with Russian Sergei Ivanovich Mosin in the design of the 3-line rifle, Model 1891 (Russian: "трёхлинейная винтовка образца 1891 года"), colloquially known as Mosin–Nagant; but Mosin never made a revolver.

Production of the M1895 began in Liège, Belgium; however, Russia purchased the manufacturing rights three years later and moved production to the Tula Arsenal at first then later Izhevsk as well as Państwowa Fabryka Karabinów in Poland to produce some 2,000,000 examples between 1895–1945.

While the 7.62×38mmR round was fairly anemic, it was unusual in that the round sat inside the brass...

View attachment 210293

The M1895 also had an interesting gas-seal system in which the cylinder moved forward to close the gap between the cylinder and the barrel when the gun was cocked, providing a slight boost to the muzzle velocity of the fired projectile but more importantly allowing the weapon to be better suppressed! Original Nagant revolver suppressors are extremely rare, but many have used modern ones on them thanks to the already-threaded barrel!

I believe so. Maverick knows. It was his pistol I shot.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

View attachment 210292

View attachment 210293

I believe so. Maverick knows. It was his pistol I shot.

That would be the one. Mechanically, it's a very interesting gun. It's also fun to play around with. It was not a very good military sidearm in my opinion though. The TT-33 was a vast improvement over it, and the S&W Model 3 that preceded it was a higher quality, more useful gun due to it's faster speed in reloading, and it's more potent clambering of the 44 Russian. I believe those were in use until the 20s.

The main issues with them is that they are kind of finicky, they are not as reliable as you'd expect a revolver to be (mine has jammed on me multiple times), they are slow to reload due to loading not unlike a Colt SAA, and the double action trigger pull is so atrociously heavy due to it's need to operate the gas sealing function of the cylinder, that you are going to have a very hard time hitting anything beyond very close ranges with it. The single action trigger is much better, but still not great. I believe that these were mostly issued to officers, so these short comings were not that big of a deal. Though if I was a Russian soldier during WWII and I was issued one of these, I'd pick up the first German pistol I found.

This is why I like C&R guns. They give you a glimpse into things that history books cannot adequately show you. They give you perspective on what it was actually like to use one of these old guns.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    My tasts are directly related to the thickness of my wallet.

That said I'm almost positive God wasn't talk about guns when he says thou shall not covet.

Top Bottom