• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BurkGlocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    I strip the slides of my pistols at least two or three times a year for cleaning. My Glocks get it a little more often than my other pistols because they see so much use. The firing pin and extractor channels get so gunked up with brass and crud so I pay attention to them a little more than usual especially when shooting ammo with a primer sealant on them, but also because its so easy to strip them out. But on the other hand, I do run a mag through them after fully stripping and reassembling them to make sure they function flawlessly... Plus the smell of Hoppes No. 9 brings back so many good memories so I spend alot of time cleaning my firearms...

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    It's time that I'd rather spend dry firing or practicing my draw or practicing reloads.

Good call... anytime I can have with my hand wrapped around the grip of one of mine... that's happy peaceful time to me... just lying around watching TV or a movie and just taking it apart putting it back together... racking the slide etc and then sighting it in...

wrtanker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Ft. Worth
    "...that's happy peaceful time to me... just lying around watching TV or a movie and just taking it apart putting it back together... racking the slide etc and then sighting it in..."

Ah, yes. I can't count the number of bad guys I've shot on the TV... good for building muscle memory.

As for cleaning so much, I guess I'm just old school - you shoot it you clean it. Of course, in the bad old days I used a lot of surplus ammo from many sources...

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    "...that's happy peaceful time to me... just lying around watching TV or a movie and just taking it apart putting it back together... racking the slide etc and then sighting it in..."

Ah, yes. I can't count the number of bad guys I've shot on the TV... good for building muscle memory.

As for cleaning so much, I guess I'm just old school - you shoot it you clean it. Of course, in the bad old days I used a lot of surplus ammo from many sources...

Shoot it / clean it is a perfect combo... seems to work for me too...

sti45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    1911's spring change every 3k rnds, detail, inspect parts replace if needed every 5k rnds. seven 1911,s takes no more than 30-40 min

Stangfan93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    If anyone hasn't said it.

Detail srip-Never

Field Strip- Once every 250 rounds or so. I used to clean after every range trip but have since changed that.

I have had my 1911 detail stripped by a 'smith. I wouldn't dare tackle that job.

Ishtacka

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Dickinson, Tx
    Tex Teach- What kind of 1911 do you have? Living in the area, I might be able to help you out, and you wouldn't have to feed me either. Wife's gonna be out of town so a little piece and quiet will be fine, but good conversation would be good too. And we can whine about our students. :1zhelp:

As for me, I don't take apart my 92f too often. Too many roll pins for me. My 1911 though I detail it fully about every 6 month (Depending on round count) and usually the slide comes apart every month. Each time you do it it just goes easier and might as well have a clean pistol. It's not like I'm doing a torture test here.

Ish

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    We've got a Colt Mustang, A Kimber Custom Carry II (9mm) and a Springfield Armory V-10... That'd be awesome... My lady and I often find ourselves in the Cedar Park area...

Ishtacka

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Dickinson, Tx
    Texas Teacher- PM me when you get a chance and want to figure out a time to meet. I'm pretty sure for both of us, the weekend is probably a better time to meet.

If'n you're just looking to take down' your slides, I'm all over that!

Ish

customizedcreationz

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    MI
    I strip and clean mine all the time. But on that note, I usually dont shoot as much as I do work on guns. So I do have quite a few of mine that need to be cleaned. But none usually make it past 1000 rounds before being totally stripped and cleaned.

My Sig Mosquitos I let run till they stopped working which was 2500+ rounds. They just started to fail to feed and eject , so I figured it was time to clean.

But most of the time, unless you are in a dirty environment then I would say your pretty safe with just shooting and field stripping.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I strip and clean mine all the time. But on that note, I usually dont shoot as much as I do work on guns.

Dang, I didn't realize you are the original customcreationz guy.

Speaking of the detail strip, Todd has some very good videos on his web site that walk you through the detail strip on Sigs, and Kimber customs. Any one thinking of doing that for the first time will be well served by checking those out.

Top Bottom