• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Are you sure that EMP can wipe out electronics? Automotive electronics are already shielded. IMO if your stuff gets exposed to enough EMP to literally fry the electronics, you're going to die of radiation poisoning anyway.

sjones

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    carrollton,texas
    Yes,it will fry electronics,only the older cars and trucks that still have points and condensors will be safe.Thats why I was asking about bikes.Them I'm not sure about.I had them back in the 60's with magnetos but I don't know when they changed.All the computers and all electricity will be gone.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    We have an old Honda 100 out in the barn (worn out) that used no battery and the ignition ran solely off the alternator, with a kill button on the handlebar of course.
    to do this I mounted a large capacitor on the frame with an adel clamp and wired it to that alternator/ignition coil circuit. Just a dirt bike, no lights....

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yes,it will fry electronics,only the older cars and trucks that still have points and condensors will be safe.Thats why I was asking about bikes.Them I'm not sure about.I had them back in the 60's with magnetos but I don't know when they changed.All the computers and all electricity will be gone.

Got a source for that? I've taken classes in automotive electronics where they talked about EMI and RFI (electromagnetic interference and radio frequency interference) goofing up your electronics on cars, but the only problems that the people giving the seminars had seen was with HAM operators running several thousand watts (tens of thousands? I don't remember exactly) of transmission power inside the vehicle. And even then, the problems were usually pretty minor and always temporary.

I haven't seen, but would love to read, any technical source that talks about EMP and its effects on automotive electronics.

sjones

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    carrollton,texas
    Just google emp blast or effects and see what comes up.Its a very serious problem for the whole united staes and the powers that be know about and won't do anything about it.All the enemy has to do is pop off 1 nuke in the upper atmosphere and the USA is back to the pre electronic days.Instead they would rather stick their heads in the sand and hope it never happens.

Bear8u

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    San Angelo
    the powers that be do know this and you can be sure they have shielded their stuff from most any man made EMP. another threat could come from sun flares or outer space and they don't know how intense these could be.

Top Bottom