• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've read the pages of instructions for doing a trigger job on my Handi Rifle a few times. If you own one, you probably know why. If you don't have one, it's a crisp 6-9lbs.

The online written directions are pretty detailed, they are great, but they also make it look like you need to be a practicing gunsmith to tackle it. I finally got bored enough yesterday to go for it and after completing the job I found it wasn't nearly as bad as the 20 pages of PDF made it look. However, it can very easily be taken too far. The contact surfaces a very small and it makes keeping a proper angle that much more important.

Tools needed: Hammer, punches to fit each pin (i use allen wrenches), phillips screwdriver for the fore stock, something that will work as a slave pin for the larger size pins (i cut a piece off the allen wrench I used for a punch), two 2X4 wood blocks, honing stone, dremel and polishing compound, good eyes, whatever else I remember as I go.

Disassembly:

First thing you need to do is remove the forestock and barrel. Pop the barrel off and throw it somewhere. If you want you can remove the butt you can but it's not necessary. Two #2 Philips in the pad and a 9/16" bolt. You'll need an extension to reach it.

Now time to beat the shit out of it. If you have the 300BO AAC version you got it easy. I thoroughly tested the finish and it's tough as hell. If not, take proper precautions and adjust as needed.

You only need to remove the pins circled in the picture. They are splined on one side so you only want to hit them from the side shown in the picture. My method: Place the receiver on the blocks with them spaced so the pin has clearance to punch down between them. Take the hammer, choose a pin, and whack the **** out of it. I was using my wifes little hammer, if you are using a small sledge just whack the tar out of it. Make sure the 2X4s are spaced close enough to support the area around the pins. They are fairly stubborn. The smooth face hammer left no marring of any kind on the finish. Once each is flush with the receiver you can use a punch without it skipping off the rounded pin. For now, just get them started, don't remove them completely.

b2cf99339dd682480d0dd996818f192f.jpg

Now go to the smaller pin at the bottom of the frame and remove it. Grip the receiver with one hand so that you are holding the trigger guard in and slowly tap out the larger pin at the bottom. There are two springs in the trigger assemble. the small silver spring is pretty docile, the larger one will try to jump out if you aren't careful. Set the assembly aside.

fdeaa1e151321874d0f491cda108e7e6.jpg

Look inside the receiver and you will see the hammer spring. Pop it lose from the ledge along the side, it's held by the next pin so it won't go anywhere. Now go to the first pin from the bottom and tap it out about halfway, this will let the hammer spring fall out. Put it somewhere safe and tap the pin the rest of the way out. Pull the hammer back slightly (like you are cocking it) and it should fall loose, a little shaking and it should drop out of the bottom of the receiver.

That's really as far as you need to go to get a pretty good trigger.

(pics to be added)
    Guns International

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Working the trigger

Take the hammer and set it on the outside of the receiver where the pin holding it was removed, drop the pin through to hold it in place. Do the same with the trigger. Should look like the pic below. This will give you and idea how they fit together and how the angles will effect the weight.

cac05d0aa35489e820f98baa64b91f3e.jpg

This small area will make the biggest difference in pull weight, and due to the small surface area you can quickly create an issue it you round any of the edges or change any angles too much.

On the hammer, you will only want to polish this area. Due to the small size it's a bitch. I used the corner of my honing stone, oil, and light strokes. Be very careful not to open the angle any or you will have to find a way to re-cut it. I happen to know that it can be re-cut to 90 degrees. This area was pretty rough on mine, I polished it to a shine using the honing stone.

On the trigger the are two options. It is a pretty rough machining job here as well. The first option is to just polish it to a shine and remove the roughness. This will make some difference. I recommend using an old t shirt streched over a solid flat surface with a polishing compound stretched over a solid flat surface. Look at the angle and match it. It only contacts on the tips so don't worry about the area further back. I don't recommend a dremel for this due to the tendency of the soft wheels to round edges. Once both surfaces are polished you will want to put the parts back in the rifle and check the pull.You need to be sure you aren't happy with what you have now before continuing. The next step will involve honing down the surface of the trigger. Assembly instructions on next page.

c0fb33c44507770bc69a220d1764e5ed.jpg

So, you don't like it. Not good enough. Then let's **** up the trigger. Be warned, you will get a lot of practice with assembling the trigger from here on.

First, the angles we are looking for. Stand the trigger up on the stone so the contact surface is down. Turn it so it looks like a backwards "S". Now find tilt it left and right to find the angle of the factory cut. The more to the right you lean it from here, the lighter the trigger will get. Too much and you done fucked up. Sorry, No picture of this. I was concentratin at this point and didn't think about it.

Make sure your stone is oiled (or spit on it). Find the factory angle of the cut and lean the trigger just a hair to the right. Apply just a bit of pressure and give it no more than 10 strokes. Remember, the pressure is on a very small area and the material will be coming off pretty fast. MAKE SURE you don't change the angle and cause any rounding of the surface. Put it back together and check the pull. Repeat the steps above as needed until you achieve the desired pull. Keep in mind that the design is not going to be friendly to Target trigger weights. Remember, the edge should always feel sharp. If it's not, you are probably rounding it and it will not be fully contacting the hammer.

Aww hell, you went to far didn't you. Don't worry, YOU CAN FIX IT! Lean the trigger back to the left and cut the angle back to a safe level. Just look closely at what you have and bring it back a little.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Assembly:

Reinstalling the hammer. Slide it back in and work it around the trigger block. It will take a little finagling and you will need to push the trigger block in a little to line up the pin hole. Push the pin in from the left side (side it came out from) just enough that it sticks past the hammer. Now take the hammer spring, the short nub will sit against the small nub on the side of the hammer. You will have to manually lift the barrel break latch to get it in place. Once it's on the nub push the pin on in, now use your fingers to push the longer end of the hammer spring in place behind the small ledge in the receiver.

Remember that slave pin I said you would need. Now you need it. Set the trigger assembly inside the trigger guard and line it up. push the slave pin in to hold everything in place. It shouldn't stick out on either side. No work the trigger guard in so the metal tab on the trigger fits over the hammer pin, put the back of the trigger guard in place and you'll notice the red spring is hitting the barrel break latch. use the 7th finger on your left hand to push the barrel break lever up, no turn the receiver so you can see where the red spring is pressing against the side of the barrel break catch, use a punch or screw driver to push it down and get it under the edge of the catch, now slide the trigger in to place, it will push the spring up itself from here.

Tap the larger pin thought slowly, pushing the slave pin out as you go. Be careful to not damage the thin plastic where the pin goes through the trigger guard. now put the smaller pin in.

Check the function of the rifle, trigger weight, etc. Make sure the pins are in far enough to catch on the opposite side. Cock the hammer and beat the gun on the floor/table/whatever is handy to make sure it's safe. If it falls you make want to undo some of your work as described in the previous post. If it all checks out, beat the pins on in so the splines will hold them.

This is a good time to loosen the break action a bit. A piece of 1" PVC wrapped in coarse sand paper works great to sand down the area of the forestock that contacts the receiver. Sand it down a bit, hold it in place, and work the action back and forth 10-15 times. You should be able to remove it and see where it is rubbing if it's still tight. Once you're happly, puth the screw back in and your done.

This got my trigger from around 7lbs to right at 3.5lbs (measures by weighted line pulling trigger) and still crisp as factory. With a suppressor the barrel falls open when the latch is pressed, without a small shake will get it moving.

Last edited:

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Been wondering how to do this on my 45 Colt NEF...now I know...

Well done Sir and Thank You!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Been wondering how to do this on my 45 Colt NEF...now I know...

Well done Sir and Thank You!

If you have a nicer finish, drill out a piece of plywood to match the pins and clamp it over the receiver so the punches won't slide and scratch it.

Those pins are locked in pretty dang tight.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Weaponologist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2016
    Statesville NC
    Yep, I've run in to that Younggun,, If I remember correctly,, The pin's have ribs cut in to them so they lock in place.. I use that Blue Painters tape to protect gun finishes and put a couple layers if you have something difficult to remove ...

Top Bottom