• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    It's been too close to Austin - it'd be all limp and shit.
    1. Funny. Only a couple miles north of you.

2. You say you got that truck from Oklahoma?

eta:
    1684614996643.png

Last edited:

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    1. Funny. Only a couple miles north of you.

2. You say you got that truck from Oklahoma?

eta:

Still too damn close ta Austin, LOL!!!

Yessir - Ony dealer in a 4-state area that had one equipped like I wanted. They had it marked w/a $9500 "adder" - told 'em I'd fly to Norfolk and buy the one there before I'd pay that. The salesman tried to "educate" me on "The way cars are sold TODAY." I told him that I'd been buying vehicles longer than he'd been alive, and similar situations had existed before, and I'd never gone over MSRP. His sales manager finally agreed to MSRP later than afternoon. I told them to send me the buyer's order and once I had it, I'd make flight reservations.....I didn't hit him w/my extra $2k discount voucher until I was in finance. Us old dogs can STILL come up with some new tricks now and then.......<snark>

I'll give them credit, though - was in and out of finance in under 30 minutes. Spent a total of just shy of 2 hrs at the dealership - a lot of that was going over the truck features itself that I wasn't familiar with. I DID tell them to not mess w/polishing the exterior of the truck, though - I was heading into some pretty severe weather coming back, so it would've been a waste of their time.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Do a cost/benefit on operating a gas vs diesel engine that doesn't routinely pull trailers. I was responsible for fleet operations in my previous "day jobs". It took me 15 years to convince the owner of my last job that gas engines made more sense in our service trucks - as well as NOT servicing the auto transmission. We went from an average of 60k miles on a tranny to over 100k, and the "per mile" operating cost of gas vs diesel was about 20% lower, all told. And that was BEFORE DEF came into the picture. It's even worse now.
    I remember circa Y2K, with my father at a Ford dealership looking at an F-250 'SUPER DUTY' and complaining about the surcharge for the 'legendary' 7.3 PSD. My father and I were a bit shocked when the salesman advised us to get a gasser, "Studies have shown you don't break even with the additional costs of a Diesel over a gasoline engine until you hit at least 250,000 miles, and that's if you don't have any injector or other failures in the time."
    With DEF and all the rest of the unnecessary emissions garbage on the newer engines, it's probably worse now.

Eli
    (I drive an E-350 passenger van with a 6.0 PSD!)

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    "Studies have shown you don't break even with the additional costs of a Diesel over a gasoline engine until you hit at least 250,000 miles, and that's if you don't have any injector or other failures in the time."
    With DEF and all the rest of the unnecessary emissions garbage on the newer engines, it's probably worse now.

Eli
    (I drive an E-350 passenger van with a 6.0 PSD!)

Yup - and popping the hood on a diesel is gonna cost ya $1k+. Ask the oil field guys about the cat system.....the days of idling a diesel engine all day are over - unless you LIKE spending $10k to replace the cat system.

stuhoevel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    San Antonio
    I had the 3.0 ecodiesel in a 1500 Ram a few years back. It was nice getting around 20 mpg, 550ish mile range and not having to fill up every week. I'd did a break even cost analysis taking into account the higher cost of oil changes($160 vs $80), cat piss(sorry DEF), mileage (20 vs 15), and fuel cost. My break even for the higher cost of the ecodiesel vs the Hemi was about 145,000 miles.

At first the little ed wasn't bad, it just took some time getting used to. After the approved emissions modification it was a dog. Noticeable loss in performance and mileage. After thr 2nd recall with no solution I traded it in on my current Ram.

If I was into regular serious towing I would consider the 2500 diesel.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    So you didn't buy the all-electric version?

I was in a dealership having some minor work done and wandered into the showroom. $95K for an electric F150. Salesman slithers up to see if I'm interested. Big selling points? The tailgate has an electric motor (Oooooh!) and since there's no engine, the area under the hood is now a trunk! (Me: Yeah, but it's a pickup! The whole friggin' back end is there to put stuff!)

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    So you didn't buy the all-electric version?

I was in a dealership having some minor work done and wandered into the showroom. $95K for an electric F150. Salesman slithers up to see if I'm interested. Big selling points? The tailgate has an electric motor (Oooooh!) and since there's no engine, the area under the hood is now a trunk! (Me: Yeah, but it's a pickup! The whole friggin' back end is there to put stuff!)

Lemme see.....

Nope - daddy didn't raise no fool!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Well, as of this afternoon -lift gate was installed last Wednesday, bed liner sprayed Thursday, and the tank rack system was built Saturday. I took it in for powder coating yesterday morning, and picked it up this afternoon. Trey (@fuelfather) and I just spent the last 1 1/2 hours drilling out the mount holes in the bed, then bolting the rack in. It's now ready to start earning its' keep - running boards, replacement pipe bumper and wrap are yet to come. Wrap will go on Thursday & Friday (morning), then Friday afternoon the running boards will be installed.

It's getting there!

With bed gate and rack.jpg

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Bought a 2022 Ram 1500 Lone Star last year, paid about $41000. It was used, had 1250 miles on it. Original buyer decided he wanted to upgrade, and traded it in. Nice of him to pay the depreciation.

Good deal. I had a Laramie as a rental in 2019 when I was in Virginia for a few days. It had the front bench, was a very nice truck. If I needed a full size it’s the first option I’d consider for sure.

Top Bottom