• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    Humble, TX
    How do y'all carry? I'm waiting on the CHL I've heard about all different types of holsters but I've been a little skittish on asking this question.

I normally dress in western style shirt (tucked in) and jeans. How does one carry like this or do I need to modify how I dress when I go out.

These holsters that fit inside pants is the shirt untucked?

I feel a little idiotic asking these questions but I have to trust folks like y'all with all this knowledge. ;) Thank you in advance for any help.

By the way I have a Kel-tec P11 and a Ruger LCP.
    Capitol Armory ad

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    As long as you dont wear danglers you can stick either one of those guns in a pocket.... For the LCP Comp-Tac makes a kydex rig that goues around your neck like a neck knife...

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    There are IWB holsters that allow you to tuck your shirt, but they don't work well with tight fitting shirts. If you wear the style that blouses a bit, it could work with a thin compact or sub compact gun. I don't have one, but can't imagine they are very comfortable.

My self, I use an OWB holster in the cooler weather either covered by a jacket, or heavier cool weather shirt. Summer time is of course more of a challenge, and I mostly carry in the front pocket of jeans or shorts, with a shirt or t shirt untucked. Dressed up a bit, I need to go with a mouse sized gun in the pocket.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I my new com-tac IWB holster, though I don't tuck in my shirt.

I think you can. There feels liek there is room, but I don't think it would be the best. I also have another IWB holster for a kel tec, which works great.

Both of these I can wear with just a Tee shirt. A glock 19 and a kel tec.

I got a pocket holster for the kel tec, but I really don't like the pocket carry method. I just don't think that it is a safe and effective way to carry. Just my opinion.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    I prefer small of the back concealment myself. I have a Comp tac Minotaur holster i wear at the 5-oclock position. I'd advise wearing pants that are about 1/2 to 1" more in the waist to make it comfortable.

longtooth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Lufkin, Texas
    I am a country boy too. Jeans, tucked shirt most of the time.
    I always wear a vest. Easy to make them.
    Wrangler denim or other heavy cotton shirt.
    Take the sleeves out at the seam.
    square it up at the high point on the sides. Buy one size larger than you would wear as a shirt. Starched & ironed they are plenty good for casual dress.
    You can cover anything you want to carry as long as you holster it in quality gear & have a good gunbelt. I carry a full size 1911 in blue steel quit a bit. Ruger GP100 w/ 3"barrel a lot. Others are SP101, Kimber Pro CDP. All OWB.
    If you live close to Lufkin I will be glad to show you & we can go to the range for a shoot too.

000_0008-2.jpg

ferretray

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    You definitely need to dress around the gun. I carry a Lightweight Commander in a Milt Sparks VM II with tuckable clips, on a Beltman 1-1/2" bullhide belt.
    I have the option of carrying the pistol under a untucked square-hemmed shirt, etc.,. or a tucked, loosely bloused shirt. The pistol is carried at about the 3:30 mark, which is, to me, the most natural placement for a relatively smooth draw.
    If your western style shirts are loose enough you would have no problem using a tuckable holster.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    DFW
    I have a very comfortable IWB holster that allows me to tuck in a shirt if needed. It's by Cross Breed. I won't post the link since it may be considered advertising but you should definitely look them up. They make a holster for the LCP too but I haven't tried it yet. It's smaller than their normal holsters so it should work great and be very comfortable.

The other option as a few have mentioned is to keep the LCP in your front pocket. I can get away with that in my shorts since they're loose, but not so much in my jeans.

Carrying can definitely affect the way you dress, and you will mostly likey try several different options before you find what works for you. Just remember that if you don't have good access to your firearm you are hindering your abilities in certain situations.

Geronimo45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    NE Texas
    Try carrying in the pocket or use thunderwear/smartcarry. I use pocket carry a lot during August. You might try a lightweight sportcoat or vest if you want to go with belt or shoulder carry.

Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Shoulder holster is my favorite. Xd 4inch .45. I allways wear a underarmor shirt because it wont bunch up and then a shortsleeve button down shirt with cackie (cant spell) shorts. I know some here have told me they dont like shoulder holsters and safety but its my favorite for how I dress. I dont have one chambered when I do use it this type.

Geronimo45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    NE Texas
    Ah. Another shoulder holster fan. I use that shirt-over-shirt method with my shoulder rig, too - but I've gone almost full-time to sportcoats since I took to carrying so much junk around - flashlight, cell phone, etc.

Sunspots

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Austin, tx
    Usually, I carry P11 or Ruger SP101 .357 in the waistband of my shorts with a long untucked shirt. This works well in hot weather.. will adjust this in cooler weather

feralswine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Bryan
    Another option is an ankle rig... some people don't like them because they can be very uncomfortable... but to each there own. It is definitely something you might want to look into as an option though. Another option is a belly band under your shirt if its not too tight fitting. Snap button shirts (pearl snaps, etc.) make it a hell of a lot easier to get to your pistol in a timely fashion with a belly band. I would get a few different holsters to accommodate your assorted attire. It usually takes some time to find out what is right for YOU. I hope this gives you some more options. Good luck!

Top Bottom