• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Hey, I got a tumbler, some crushed walnut shell media (pet store), and some brasso.

I run them together for several hours with a nice squirt of brasso.

My brass looks clean, but it isn't shiny. Once I run it through my dies, it kind of looks shiny (the part that went into the dies).

Maybe I'm a little vain, but I'd like some shiny brass. : )

Any help?

Thanks
    Capitol Armory ad

Starker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    The High Ground of Texas
    You're so vain
    You probably think this song is about you
    You're so vain
    I'll bet you think this song............oh, um...sorry :sign0101:

I don't reload, so I cannot help you. I just got caught up in the moment, and...well...you know. Sorry! :banghead:

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Lizard bedding, Nu Shine car polish,dryer sheets cut in small squares to collect dirt, run until clean.

Reactions: gll

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    For polishing corn cob is best with about 2oz of brass polish poured in it
    Pour the polish in and let tumbler run about 10 minutes
    Check and see if any lumps are left. If so, break them up and add brass.
    Tumble about 1 hr and the brass is nice and new looking.
    Use your walnut to clean 1st then tumble polish.
    Been doing it that way for years.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Shiny Brass

I have reloaded for years, never had a tumbler, wanted one but never got one. Shiny brass in my case .45ACP and .223 are much easier to find in the grass where I shoot than the dull ones.

I use a Dewalt 18V. drill and a Lee case trimmer to trim those that need it,
    then a quick spin with a piece of 000 steel wool against the cartridge case and they look brand new.

TSU45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    I have reloaded for years, never had a tumbler, wanted one but never got one. Shiny brass in my case .45ACP and .223 are much easier to find in the grass where I shoot than the dull ones.

I use a Dewalt 18V. drill and a Lee case trimmer to trim those that need it,
    then a quick spin with a piece of 000 steel wool against the cartridge case and they look brand new.

I was thinking you were old school until the 18V drill.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    I posted a query a while back on one of the other forums asking for any instances where someone had a case fail because they used Brasso. Not one person could come up with a documented instance where Brasso caused a case to fail when fired.

I have used Brasso since I started reloading in 1966 and never have had a case fail because the brass was weakened by the ammonia. I use a small quantity in walnut shell media in a rotary tumbler.

There was one "I heard this happen" comment, where someone cleaned some cases using a cloth and straight Brasso and they supposedly had a case split when fired, but the person had heard it fourth hand.

glock9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    +2 on corn media, a capful of Nufinish and a capful of mineral spirits.

I've been doing the same with excellent results.

I use crushed walnut for an initial cleaning prior to sizing and loading and then tumble the loaded rounds in corncob with nufinish and mineral spirits to remove the case lube and make them shine like new.

Glock9

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    +1 on corn media, a capful of Nufinish

Nu-finish does an excellent job doesn't harm brass and more cost effective,also throw in some dryer sheets you will be amazed at the dirt collected on these, I keep a pack over my tumbler and normally will cut up one or two for each load they are easy to remove when I dump all into a strainer after cases are clean.

Hamour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    I have been using Walnut and Brasso for years. I did not get quick cleaning and good polishing until I went with the largest dillon vibrating tumbler. That machine cleans and polishes very fast. 200 30-06 is not straining this machine.

I do an initial cleaning of about 45 minute to 1 hour, then an hour after resizing to remove oil and reach the final polish.

I will try the NU finish and mineral spirits just to see, since so many have been having good luck with it.

My experience points out that the largest most powerful motor on the vibrator/tumbler will do the best job in the shortest time. So you problem might be in your machine not in you cleaning medium.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I use strictly corn cob. I have two tumblers. One set up with corncob and Midway case polish for cleaning. The second has corn cob and Flitz for a nice polish.

Ammonia is very bad for brass. You MAY be OK if you put the Brasso in the polisher media and run it til dry. Let the ammonia evaporate. I doubt there are any effects if you do it this way.

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    Put in collander(sic) and run it in the diswhasher a couple of times.
    Then on cookie sheet in the oven for about 15 mins @ 250-350
    Dont use detergent that has crystal clear stuff in it IE wax.
    Of course I am not an expert.

Top Bottom