Capitol Armory ad

How to get into competitive shooting in Houston?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    One, but i already missed the GSSF events this year, there might be one left.
    There are two GSSF indoor matches Dickinson and one in Conroe scheduled between now and the end of September. Those two locations will probably do another series of 3 matches each before the end of the year.
    I'm not one to just show up and sign up to see how it's done.
    I'm the same way but GSSF indoor matches are so simple that just showing up is a perfectly reasonable approach. You'll want to know the course of fire for the match beforehand and run through it at SGA once before you go compete but if you go to that much trouble, you'll be as prepared as half the people there.
    Not new to shooting , but never competed. So looking for a range where "competitive shooting " can be practiced.
    If you'd like, I'd be happy to bring the targets used and share a lane with you at SGA so you can shoot the GSSF course of fire before you go to the match. I've got bronchitis bad right now but later in the week (or next week if I recover more slowly than I expect; I'm really contagious at the moment.) is definitely doable for me. I'll be happy to go over with you how the matches are run, etc.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Yes , i found a lot of the links no longer work.
    OK, that concerns me. If you'll post your findings in that thread, I'll follow up and either fix the links or edit them out of the thread.

I don't want to see that thread neglected. Thanks for the reminder that I need to pay it more attention.

crash83

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2017
    Spring, TX
    There are two GSSF indoor matches Dickinson and one in Conroe scheduled between now and the end of September. Those two locations will probably do another series of 3 matches each before the end of the year.
    I'm the same way but GSSF indoor matches are so simple that just showing up is a perfectly reasonable approach. You'll want to know the course of fire for the match beforehand and run through it at SGA once before you go compete but if you go to that much trouble, you'll be as prepared as half the people there.
    If you'd like, I'd be happy to bring the targets used and share a lane with you at SGA so you can shoot the GSSF course of fire before you go to the match. I've got bronchitis bad right now but later in the week (or next week if I recover more slowly than I expect; I'm really contagious at the moment.) is definitely doable for me. I'll be happy to go over with you how the matches are run, etc.

That would be great!
    I remember seeing the gssf [ i believe 2] @ SGA in Crosby that have already passed/
    That was the original idea , to go to those and get some sort of idea of what im getting myself into.

crash83

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2017
    Spring, TX
    OK, that concerns me. If you'll post your findings in that thread, I'll follow up and either fix the links or edit them out of the thread.

I don't want to see that thread neglected. Thanks for the reminder that I need to pay it more attention.
    I will go back through the links real fast and post on that thread what isn't working.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I remember seeing the gssf [ i believe 2] @ SGA in Crosby that have already passed/
    That was the original idea , to go to those and get some sort of idea of what im getting myself into.
    The GSSF indoor series is probably the simplest, lowest-pressure way to enter competitive pistol shooting. All you need is a stock Glock, 50 rounds of ammo, and a decent attitude. (At least two magazines would be nice but not mandatory.) I'll be happy to help you start there but you'll probably want to move on to a bigger challenge pretty quickly.

BTW - GSSF indoor matches are always shot in groups of 3. Most ranges shoot them a month apart. Some do three consecutive weeks. After each series of three, your two best matches are combined to give you a ranking for the series. That ranking determines class standings. If you're not the overall first-place winner, the standings are almost random but most competitors get a chance at the prize table which usually has one or two pistols, two or three bayonets, hats, shirts, and miscellaneous. You've got a better chance at winning a prize if you shoot at least two of three matches in a GSSF indoor series than almost anywhere else.

Frank59

Wheel Gunner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2018
    San Angelo
    Top Gun Range on Beverly Hills in Southwest Houston:
    Check their calander for exact dates:

6:00pm-8:00pm: This two hour competition is a head to head style bracket with the winner of a best of 3 advancing to the next round. The first shooter to flip all the target to the opponents side, or whoever has the most on the opponents side at the end of 30 seconds will win the match. Each shooter will load each magazine up to 10 rounds with a maximum of 20 rounds per contest. We will be starting from the low ready unless you have been holster qualified. The Top Gun RSO will have final say in decisions as is related to the contest (remember this is supposed to be fun).

THIS CONTEST DOES NOT CONTAIN FIREARMS INSTRUCTION. YOU MUST BE PROFICIENT WITH THE FIREARM YOU WILL BE SHOOTING WHEN THE COMPETITION BEGINS. CUSTOMERS WITH INADEQUATE EXPERIENCE OR WHO ARE UNSAFE WILL BE EXCUSED.

A semi auto handgun (9mm, 40S&W or 45acp), at least 2 magazines and up to 250 rounds of ammunition are required for this match. Rental handguns and ammunition are available, but not included.

Top Bottom