How to handle Border Patrol checkpoint?

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by alanwk, Oct 5, 2009.

1. alanwk

alanwk New Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Oklahoma City
    I will be driving to Del Rio, Texas (close to the Mexican border) to visit my son who is stationed there and just returned from Iraq. I will be armed (I have my cc permit from OK) and if I remember correctly the Border Patrol only stops you on the way back north. The stop is about 25 miles from the border. They let the dog sniff around the car and just asked if we were US citizens and where were we headed? No driver license check. Do I have to (or should I) tell them I am carrying and have a permit? I want to do the right thing and avoid any problems.

2. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Legal issue; In Texas a permit holder is required to show his license and ID if a Peace Officer demands that the license holder identify himself. There is no penalty for not doing so, therefore it is pretty much moot.

That said, Border Patrol are not Peace Officers under Texas law, and you are not required to display to them.

3. ducksps

ducksps Active Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    I've never had an issue. They all seem to be pretty nice folks and have never bothered to look in my vehicle. Of course I'm white as they come and very polite.

Normal custom is to visually inspect the passenger compartment looking for clues to nefarious intent. Once they sense all is well they tell you to have a good day and send you on your way. God knows they would shit if they popped the trunk. No telling how long it would take ATF to drive down and clear things up.

4. 45tex

45tex Well-Known

Feb 1, 2009
    Made multiple trips to California in the last couple of years. IH-10 goes very close to the border. I enjoy wondering off the beaten path a bit too. Met quite a few Border Patrol officers in each direction. I found them to be courteous if not friendly and all around professionals. A great bunch. I never failed to thank them for their service to America.

The only assholes I met were the State Police of California and Texas. Both are uppity money grabbers. And before you think it was me speeding I received no tickets or worse, all you need to rate these thugs is the happenstance to be in their vicinity. If you venture into California be sure to lock away any weapons. I think they believe the sunshine causes them to come to life and turn fully automatic. A great number of the comrades in the state have been successfully brainwashed to be afraid to even speak of guns. Enough of ranting. The Border Patrol need not be feared by citizens. If the government has its way nobody will fear them.

5. F350-6

F350-6 Well-Known

May 25, 2009
    That 25 mile bit will throw you if you're not paying attention. Last time I left Harlingen and drove for a ways, I came up on the check point and thought I had turned the wrong direction and was at the border :lolz:

When you pull up and stop, they'll ask if you're a US citizen. At this point, there's no need to mention anything. If they tell you to move along, then you're done. If they start asking you questions and ask you for your ID, then hand over the CHL at the same time.

As mentioned above, being polite is the right thing to do. Remember these guys have to ask the same question to every single vehicle that passes thru, every single day. They don't enjoy the process any more than you do.

6. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Don't ask, don't tell...

They don't ask for ID, I'm not telling I have a gun

7. jasont

jasont Active Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    I've driven through the check points a dozen or so times, every single time the conversation went exactly like this:
    BP: Are you a US Citizen?
    Me: Yes, Sir.
    BP: Ok, have a nice day.

8. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair

I'd add be polite to everyone you meet, not just LE. :rofl:

All I've ever been asked, as was everyone in the vehicle, is where am I from. After that, the big wave through.

9. BurkGlocker

BurkGlocker Active Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    After 5 trips to McAllen within a month we almost knew the BP agents by name, even joking that we were Texas citizens instead of US citizens. But mostly all they ever ask is if we were citizens and nothing more. And if youre traveling its legal to carry in your vehicle as long as the weapon is stowed and out of sight and that is per the lady at the DPS hub in Austin.

Ride safe and Rock on! :texas:

Brad L.

10. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    More cop bashing based on personal opinion, and not on topic.