Join TexasGunTalk

How to harden your home from a mob.

Discussion in 'Home Preparedness and Shelters' started by Sapper740, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Sapper740

Sapper740 TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2013
    That was a great thread started by breakingcontact on how to stop break-ins by thieves. On this thread I'd like to take it one step further and discuss how to harden your home against a mob. Let's not discuss storing food and water, as than can be the topic of another, we'll stick to "hardening" your home and please, no lectures on legality, I'd rather be tried by twelve than beaten to death by 100. A concern of mine is the likelihood of civil unrest should the free stuff run out, a catastrophic collapse of our economy when simple payments on the interest on our debt exceeds our ability to pay and support the welfare state, or should Obama be assassinated. All possible scenarios. Fortunately my years as a Military Engineer has taught me many ways to harden a structure and I've already started stockpiling the necessary equipment. The most basic list should include the following: barbed wire, sandbags, sand, lumber, plywood, posts, spikes (for caltrops or "punji" sticks), and both lethal and non-lethal weapons. For my property, the first line of defense will be a barbed wire fence followed by a low-wire entanglement. With-in the low-wire entanglement will be scattered caltrops and punji sticks. A second barbed wire fence will backstop all this. I plan to build a sandbag bunker in front of the main entrance to my house which will impart 180 degree visibilty from which I'll "dissuade" the mob to not attempt storming my property. There will be plywood over all the windows with loopholes cut in them and sandbags behind. The driveway will be blocked by several Knife-edge rests chained together and sheets of plywood lain down with sharpened spikes poking up to prevent anyone leaping over the rests. I have a few non-lethal methods to repel rioters: Bear spray, smoke grenades, 12 ga. Bear bangers, bean bags, and Dragon's Breath rounds. If those don't work I can escalate very quickly to all manner of lethal methods. These are but a few of my preps. What are you guys doing, if anything for such a scenario?

2. matefrio

matefrio ΔΕΞΑΙ TGT Supporter

Most urban environments it cannot be done with any effectiveness unless a whole neighborhood is involved.

Paragraphs are your friend, most folks won't read past your first sentence.

3. Younggun

Younggun Doer of Deeds TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Couple of Molotov cocktails and a good throwing arm would defeat most of your preparations.

4. Shotgun Jeremy

Shotgun Jeremy TGT Addict

Jul 8, 2012
    Copperas Cove
    Buy a limestone house on some decent land, use sheets of steel to board the windows (plywood can be ripped apart with bullets and ax's), use steel front/back/side doors with a 4 x 4 to hold it closed, have a few tunnels going out from under the house in different directions and have them pop up at several locations around the house. As the mob is busy with the outside of the house, slide up out of your different locations and pick people off with a silenced rifle using subsonic rounds. Just one or two should be enough to to disperse the crowd. A ghillie suit may be helpful as well.

That's what I would do if I were a millionaire.

5. vmax

vmax TGT Addict

Apr 15, 2013
    buy property with a big hill on it.
    dig into the hill and build you home in there.
    have at least a 1/2 mile long drive way.

sit on your porch and dare some sumbitch to drive up it.

6. okie556

okie556 Well-Known

Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

7. Shotgun Jeremy

Shotgun Jeremy TGT Addict

Jul 8, 2012
    Copperas Cove
    I seen a house in Jacksonville that's on the beach, and the house is undergroundish. It looks like a regular sand dune until you get up on the front door. Really cool and not many tourists know about it. I think that's pretty cool cause it's hidden in plain daylight, and if things get rough, they can always just reinforce the door from the inside and wait it out. I'm sure that sand around it will absorb most gunfire.

8. txbikerman

txbikerman TGT Addict

Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    claymores and a ma deuce

9. Younggun

Younggun Doer of Deeds TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Is this thread talking about a mob or the end of the world?

Honestly, you will have no time to set up all the stuff mentioned in the OP in the event of a mob going through the neighborhood. Get a set of REAL shutters for all the windows and a solid front door.

10. shortround

shortround TGT Addict

Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I prefer a passive defense. No sense in inviting another storming of the bastille.