• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    That was a great thread started by breakingcontact on how to stop break-ins by thieves. On this thread I'd like to take it one step further and discuss how to harden your home against a mob. Let's not discuss storing food and water, as than can be the topic of another, we'll stick to "hardening" your home and please, no lectures on legality, I'd rather be tried by twelve than beaten to death by 100. A concern of mine is the likelihood of civil unrest should the free stuff run out, a catastrophic collapse of our economy when simple payments on the interest on our debt exceeds our ability to pay and support the welfare state, or should Obama be assassinated. All possible scenarios. Fortunately my years as a Military Engineer has taught me many ways to harden a structure and I've already started stockpiling the necessary equipment. The most basic list should include the following: barbed wire, sandbags, sand, lumber, plywood, posts, spikes (for caltrops or "punji" sticks), and both lethal and non-lethal weapons. For my property, the first line of defense will be a barbed wire fence followed by a low-wire entanglement. With-in the low-wire entanglement will be scattered caltrops and punji sticks. A second barbed wire fence will backstop all this. I plan to build a sandbag bunker in front of the main entrance to my house which will impart 180 degree visibilty from which I'll "dissuade" the mob to not attempt storming my property. There will be plywood over all the windows with loopholes cut in them and sandbags behind. The driveway will be blocked by several Knife-edge rests chained together and sheets of plywood lain down with sharpened spikes poking up to prevent anyone leaping over the rests. I have a few non-lethal methods to repel rioters: Bear spray, smoke grenades, 12 ga. Bear bangers, bean bags, and Dragon's Breath rounds. If those don't work I can escalate very quickly to all manner of lethal methods. These are but a few of my preps. What are you guys doing, if anything for such a scenario?
    Capitol Armory ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Couple of Molotov cocktails and a good throwing arm would defeat most of your preparations.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Buy a limestone house on some decent land, use sheets of steel to board the windows (plywood can be ripped apart with bullets and ax's), use steel front/back/side doors with a 4 x 4 to hold it closed, have a few tunnels going out from under the house in different directions and have them pop up at several locations around the house. As the mob is busy with the outside of the house, slide up out of your different locations and pick people off with a silenced rifle using subsonic rounds. Just one or two should be enough to to disperse the crowd. A ghillie suit may be helpful as well.

That's what I would do if I were a millionaire.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    buy property with a big hill on it.
    dig into the hill and build you home in there.
    have at least a 1/2 mile long drive way.

sit on your porch and dare some sumbitch to drive up it.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I seen a house in Jacksonville that's on the beach, and the house is undergroundish. It looks like a regular sand dune until you get up on the front door. Really cool and not many tourists know about it. I think that's pretty cool cause it's hidden in plain daylight, and if things get rough, they can always just reinforce the door from the inside and wait it out. I'm sure that sand around it will absorb most gunfire.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Is this thread talking about a mob or the end of the world?

Honestly, you will have no time to set up all the stuff mentioned in the OP in the event of a mob going through the neighborhood. Get a set of REAL shutters for all the windows and a solid front door.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Paragraphs are your friend, most folks won't read past your first sentence.

PLEASE break for paragraphs!

Your preparations are a legal, liability nightmare. I'm not sure what you are expecting in the way of insurrection but the liability aftermath is going to be tough to handle.

My dead end street is an armed camp. There are 26 homes here and nearly ALL of us are armed. Most of us have lived here for many years, we are good at looking out for each other as we are friends as well as neighbors. There will be no trouble here!

Flash

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Couple of Molotov cocktails and a good throwing arm would defeat most of your preparations.
    If they got within range. So can I surmise from your post that you choose to do no preps because of the Molotov Cocktail threat?

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Most urban environments it cannot be done with any effectiveness unless a whole neighborhood is involved.

Point well taken on the lack of paragraphs, especially considering I'm such a grammar Nazi myself.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Is this thread talking about a mob or the end of the world?

Honestly, you will have no time to set up all the stuff mentioned in the OP in the event of a mob going through the neighborhood. Get a set of REAL shutters for all the windows and a solid front door.
    Either/or. You're correct that it will take some time to set everything up but first and foremost will be the sandbag bunker which will take 1 1/2 hours to set up. From that position my family will cover me as the rest of the defenses go up which will take an estimated 12 hours. Should be sufficient time for the mob to loot it's way north from Dallas.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Couple of Molotov cocktails and a good throwing arm can deter a crowd, too.
    Exactly TheDan. I'm a former Military Engineer and could probably use my training and ingenuity to devise a few nasty surprises if I wanted too. Just sayin'. If I wanted to.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    If you just start shooting them I think that may be a deterrent as well. People seem to dislike catching rounds with their bodies for some reason.

See Koreans during LA riots.

Nothing is impenetrable. You have to detect the threat and respond quickly with overwhelming force.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013

PLEASE break for paragraphs!

Your preparations are a legal, liability nightmare. I'm not sure what you are expecting in the way of insurrection but the liability aftermath is going to be tough to handle.

My dead end street is an armed camp. There are 26 homes here and nearly ALL of us are armed. Most of us have lived here for many years, we are good at looking out for each other as we are friends as well as neighbors. There will be no trouble here!

Flash
    Sorry about the paragraphs, I was tired when I wrote the post and didn't apply my normal standard literary rules. So anyway, what legal and liability issues concern you? Legally, I know of no laws about fencing and bunkering one's property, except for a few City By-Law infractions who's penalties are in consequential. As for liability, well if little Billy next door rides his tricycle into my barbed wire outer perimeter fence I'll put a Happy face Band-Aid on his cut and send him on his way. As for the Obamites, could you imagine a judge's reaction if they attempted to sue me for injuries received while attempting to loot my house? Yer Onner! I'se wan Elevennty-billyun dollars fer ma injerees! Yah!, that's a realistic scenario...even less realistic than my needing the defences.

Top Bottom