Join TexasGunTalk

How to harden your home to reduce successful break in?

Discussion in 'Home Preparedness and Shelters' started by breakingcontact, Oct 24, 2013.

1. breakingcontact

breakingcontact TGT Addict

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    I'm considering adding some motion activated lights on the outside of the house and that got me thinking about what else I could do to better prepare the house against a potential break in and/or assault by massed hordes. No claymores, concertina wire or cleared lanes of fire...well there will be cleared lanes of fire.

Motion lights outside, reinforced door and door frame, good locks... what else?

Window locks (screw down type) can help windows from being pried open, but there is always the flower pot through the window approach to entry...

Just thinking out loud to get the conversation started. Glad to have this new sub-forum and we need to use it.

Ah, lastly, I was at Fry's and they seem to have decent multi-camera setups for reasonable prices. I like that idea too.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  2. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 TGT Addict

Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I'm game to hear some options. No claymores? I guess I'll leave out my tannerite ideas lol.

3. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Most homes broken into are empty. Anything to make a home look like one or more folks are in it is a good thing.

4. 35Remington

35Remington TGT Addict

Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Someone else was talking about one of these this week, and after reading more online, I bought one. Seems like an affordable way to strengthen a door that could otherwise be knocked right in.

Safe Homes International 55724 Door Reinforcer
    http://amzn.com/B003P5KJJO

5. 35Remington

35Remington TGT Addict

Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Further, I have posted elsewhere on this forum about home security cameras if someone wants to dig up the info. Can't find it right now from my phone.

With a little bit of computer wizardry, I set up four cameras around my home. They rotate, zoom, detect motion, send and receive audio, and have IR night vision. They alert my iPhone when motion is detected. The cameras were each $80 and the software was about $10. I'm happy.

aju9uty5.jpg

6. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I read an article recently about plants that act as barriers. Some of em were down right nasty looking. I will see if I can locate it and post back.

Plants and Vegatation.

Plants that do not allow a hiding space.

Lights. My driveway light had two intensities. I left it on at night, and it intensified when it picked up motion.

Lock your house. I took lots of burglary reports where the POE was an unlocked door or window.

Heavy duty lock hardware.

A dog, preferably a big one. However, I must about a burglary where a large watch type dog was splashed with hot sauce.

A full perimeter alarms system. Add monitored smokes while you are at it. There is more monetary loss, injury and death from fires than bad guys.

Cameras can be a deterrent. I will ALWAYS have cameras now.

Be careful who you allow in your house. Never post on social media that you will be out of your house.

I have more for later....

7. Mic

Mic TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Windows: I haven't done it, but I'd like to have the wrought iron bars on them that look nice.

Doors: I've considered drilling 2 3-inch deep holes down into the cement immediately behind the door and setting metal bars down in them at night so that it's not just the door frame at the lock and hinges holding them back.

Dogs.... To alert and slow.

8. breakingcontact

breakingcontact TGT Addict

Oct 16, 2012
    Outside Austin
    Good stuff. How prices have come down on tech is just amazing. That camera setup described above for $100? Thats great.

-Fire protection should come first. That makes sense.

-I always turn on the TV or radio and a light when i leave

-Announcing empty house online is pretty crazy. People are really open though now. So much so that the platoon sergeants in my old reserve unit are using facebook to discuss drill and mission dates. Pretty wild.

-Not letting people in you dont know. Im moving to a new hood soon. Would love to be all chummy with my neighbors but those relationships and trust take time

-When i go shooting i try to load up the car discreetly. With attached garage thats even easier.

-Call me crazy on this one if you want. Most of us have routines when we leave the house each day. I try to vary mine. Ill drive around the block and back by the house. Go back into the house. Take a different vehicle. Leave at different times. Its not something i obsess about daily, but i like to throw a curveball every now and again.

-I will also leave things out that i dont care if they get stolen to see if anyone is paying attention. I left a soda on the porch last night to keep cool and grab in the morning, but i also thought it would indicate if someone was snooping around if it was gone.

-Finally, i tell the people i live with, to not open the door for anyone who they arent expecting, including police if they dont have a warrant.

Ill try to post more tomorrow on strategery. Thanks for being park of the conversation folks.

9. itchin

itchin TGT Addict

Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    My dog has free range front and back. A thief would need to cover a good distance to reach my house . He'd have to take out my dog. He's not a mean dog but if someone doesn't belong here he will do his job. Dogs are a great deterrent. He is our family pet first and sleeps in the house. But during the day while we are at work and school he is outside.

10. Charlie

Charlie Semi-Literate TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    As said, big, loud dogs. Or claymores!:green: