DK Firearms

How to harden your home to reduce successful break in?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Excellent thread!

Years ago, when I moved to Cumberland County, NC, a sheriff's deputy showed up to greet us as we were moving in. Said the area we moved to had many home burglaries. Here is what he advised: "Put bars on all your exterior doors and windows, have a fire escape, get a gun, get a dog, and keep your perimeter lighted at night. Don't have shrubs or bushes near windows or exterior doors where a dork could hide." He also gave us his cell phone number in case 911 was busy. He took his patrol area very seriously, and in four years we never had to call for help.

I still consider that sound advice.

IMO, cameras do not deter ... they just capture the break-in if the crooks don't disable them first.
    Gun Zone Deals

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Several homes in our neighborhood with alarms were broken into. Always through a back window which was removed intact not tripping the alarm contact on the window. The police recommend motion detectors in the house, and it sounds like a good idea to me. During the break ins, the alarm was active but never tripped. These were probably not your average thieves, but they were successful.

The back of the house is always a concern to me, the way most are situated, a burglar can take more time on making his entrance like in your example.

Anyone have suggestions for legit house alarms? I don't really want to pay for a service or have it monitored, just something that would make an awful racket that would chase someone out. CS gas release would be good too.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    The interior motion detection works, almost too good.
    Only alarm trip I ever had was a false alarm.
    We came rushing home after the call, deputy was in the driveway.
    He went in 1st, I followed at his direction.
    Found a Christmas ornament that fell off the tree.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Im thinking about getting one of these driveway alert systems. Anyone have something like this? Id probably get one for the front and back porch.
    Wireless Driveway Alert & Driveway Alarm System

I have a driveway alert. My in-laws have the one from Harbor Freight and they trade it in every year or so when it breaks. Motion detector types don't work for me since the dogs, cats, horses, cows, critters, etc. would set it off. I use the buried magnetic detector. I tried the Mighty Mule and it was intermittent at best. I currently have one made by Dakota and it works wonderfully. Turn the sensitivity all the way up and it will actually go off from someone walking by within a couple of feet of the sensor. It catches a car every time.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Excellent thread!

Years ago, when I moved to $#@!berland County, NC, a sheriff's deputy showed up to greet us as we were moving in. Said the area we moved to had many home burglaries. Here is what he advised: "Put bars on all your exterior doors and windows, have a fire escape, get a gun, get a dog, and keep your perimeter lighted at night. Don't have shrubs or bushes near windows or exterior doors where a dork could hide." He also gave us his cell phone number in case 911 was busy. He took his patrol area very seriously, and in four years we never had to call for help.

IMO, cameras do not deter ... they just capture the break-in if the crooks don't disable them first.

much of that is actually bad advice. Bars on windows are death traps. The right bushes and plants, properly placed and kept near wimdows can keep dorks away.

Many bad guys avoid areas with cameras.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Several homes in our neighborhood with alarms were broken into. Always through a back window which was removed intact not tripping the alarm contact on the window. The police recommend motion detectors in the house, and it sounds like a good idea to me. During the break ins, the alarm was active but never tripped. These were probably not your average thieves, but they were successful.

All burglar alarms should have an interior trap. Motions, interior doors contacted, pressure switches under carpet and rugs, etc.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    A few friends and families had their home broken into and since then they have put up doors/windows guard on all of them.

bars.jpg

So trashy. Please do not do this.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    A few other things to do to the exterior of your home as I think of them

Put decent keyed locks on your phone/AC/water/gas boxes/meters.
    Use long drop bolts/foot bolts on fence doors and key lock them too
    Remove any exterior handles from garage doors
    Tighten hose reels to the faucet with channel wrench enough to keep them from being stolen
    Remove rocks/stones from landscaping under 10lbs as they are too easy to throw through a window
    Build a quality 10ft perimeter fence with all horizontal bracing at the inside
    Complete the fence/gate at the front of the home to eliminate side yard access
    Hasp and lock all shed doors with the largest pieces they sell
    Install quality motion security lights with powerful 90watt or better Halogen bulbs
    Install windlace at garage door

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Excellent thread!

Years ago, when I moved to $#@!berland County, NC, a sheriff's deputy showed up to greet us as we were moving in. Said the area we moved to had many home burglaries. Here is what he advised: "Put bars on all your exterior doors and windows, have a fire escape, get a gun, get a dog, and keep your perimeter lighted at night. Don't have shrubs or bushes near windows or exterior doors where a dork could hide." He also gave us his cell phone number in case 911 was busy. He took his patrol area very seriously, and in four years we never had to call for help.

With respect shortround, even if the bad actors disable the camera(s) there is still a recording of them approaching the camera(s) to do so. I have three cameras covering the front and any thieves wanting to avoid being recorded would have to break into my house from the side or backyards which have 8' tall fences only accessible from my nosy neighbor's yards and a camera covering the backyard. Our DVR is hidden so the thieves who break into my house would have to expend precious time to find it, while the burglar alarm with the motion detectors and glass-break sensors as well as door and window contacts would be dialing the local police who's station is only 4 blocks away. That's if their activity wasn't already noticed by my neighbors when any one of 6 motion detector activated flood lights turn on or my dog, which hardly ever barks, starts barking, which he does when someone strange is on our property. Is my property burglar proof? No, of course not. Is it an unattractive target? Absolutely! My plan was to make thieves look elsewhere for easier targets which, so far, has worked for over 10 years.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    ^ that. My cameras aren't meant to be an overt "don't break in here" deterrent. What they do provide is an eye on the house when I'm away, which might allow for a call to 911 in the event of an entry.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    much of that is actually bad advice. Bars on windows are death traps. The right bushes and plants, properly placed and kept near wimdows can keep dorks away.

Many bad guys avoid areas with cameras.

You missed the part of his advice that said "have a fire escape." As for plants and bushes, hogwash. Dorks seek cover and concealment. Don't ever give them any advantage. It is exactly the same as "clearing fields of fire" for any defensive position.

A determined burglar will not be deterred by an alarm or camera -- only the amateurs shy away.

Top Bottom