Target Sports

How to harden your home to reduce successful break in?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My doors are all re-inforced with 1/8" thick angle iron that's bolted to the framing studs.
    Hinges are also bolted to the angle iron.
    My strike plate consists on a 3"x 1.5"x 1"ID Nut welded to the angle iron.
    All hidden behind the plain looking wood trim.

The doors are solid wood sandwiched with a thin gauge steel skin bolted on. Used trim and pain to make them look like normal wooden doors.

It will take a vehicle born battering ram to get through them.
    Windows all have 1/8" thick shatter proof plexi screwed to the window frames (inside), with quick release screw lock limiters to keep them from opening more than 3".
    House is walled with red brick.

What you cant see is the motion sensors that activate LED light strips above the windows when you get less than 2 foot from them.
    That's only the beginning..

GFL getting into my house.

All of that > granite counter tops or nice grass
    DK Firearms

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Don't know if anyone has suggested this, but taking up the release line for an automatic garage door opener is a good one.

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    Easy way to avoid thieves knowing when ur home or away - use your garage. Simply parking in your garage every time and closing the door when u r home or away no one can look in your driveway to see if your home or away

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    I'm not sure what you mean.

The orange rope used to release an overhead garage door from the chain in the event of a power failure. It has a handle on it. That rope can often be hooked from outside of the door via the gap at the top of the garage door. Once it is hooked the hook catches on the handle and the door is released from the chain. Slides right open. If you remove the handle it hooking the rope is a futile effort.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    The orange rope used to release an overhead garage door from the chain in the event of a power failure. It has a handle on it. That rope can often be hooked from outside of the door via the gap at the top of the garage door. Once it is hooked the hook catches on the handle and the door is released from the chain. Slides right open. If you remove the handle it hooking the rope is a futile effort.

Wow.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009

In the link you provided there's a video. It shows them hooking the latch the rope ties onto, not the rope itself.

Lucky for me, I don't have a garage, so no worries here.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW

Yup. Good idea to remove the rope and stash it somewhere when you need it. Just happended to me last month. Also, when doing this you should consider adding a deadbolt and a peephole viewer to to the garage entry door. Harden that door with a jamb reinforcer and make a practice of flipping the dead bolt latch to lock when you enter the home or go to bed. Lastly, you can add a simple electrical switch to turn the power off to the garage door opener. This defeats the possibility of an intruder from breaking into your vehicle and hitting the garage door remote and getting into your garage and/or home.

jjminch

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 1, 2014
    My doors are all re-inforced with 1/8" thick angle iron that's bolted to the framing studs.

The doors are solid wood sandwiched with a thin gauge steel skin bolted on. Used trim and pain to make them look like normal wooden doors.

Windows all have 1/8" thick shatter proof plexi screwed to the window frames (inside), with quick release screw lock limiters to keep them from opening more than 3".

What you cant see is the motion sensors that activate LED light strips above the windows when you get less than 2 foot from them.

Well you sir win this thread. Damn that's a lot of work.

Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown

Did you have all this done as the home was built (build it yourself?) or did you make these upgrades yourself?

Top Bottom