• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saylin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2013
    It has already been linked but I will again recommend Cornered cat (Rack the Slide | Cornered Cat)

A good way to work up forearm strength to go along with all the grips strength tips is to do this.

1. Buy a larger size dowel and drill a hole in it large enough for some rope.
    2. Put a piece of rope through it and make a knot
    3. Tie a weight to the other end (light is fine...1/2 pounds)
    4. have her extend her arms straight in front of her, and "roll" the weight up then roll is back down. Don't just let it unravel, actually roll it back down. 2/3 ups+downs at a time 2/3 times a day and she will build some great forearm strength

OR...be like my wife and love revolvers :P

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    I can't think of a way to say this without it sounding negative, but I certainly don't intend it that way. One of the performance hindrances I've seen the most with women shooters is a lack of aggression. I think women are more capable than they might think, they just need to be more aggressive about what they're doing when they're doing it. I see this a lot when it comes to things like racking a slide. You want to rip that slide to the rear like you're trying to rip it off the gun or like you're enraged. Don't be afraid to break it! ;)

This.

I've coached several female friends, and what 'broke' it, or...when the 'aha' moment came was when I explained to them to use the gun as the aggressor....use it as a hunter would, or if mounting a counter-attack.

Not only did they rack the slide with a purpose, but they leaned into the weapon, strenghtened their grasp on it, and zoned in to the target.

OnyxATX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I didn't see this addressed, so my apologies if it was and I missed it. How is the rest of her form? If the FTE is because she can't control the recoil... maybe it's more of a problem with posture, breaking her wrist up with the support hand, and being too low on the firearm in general rather than simply strength.

Perhaps try elbows pointed outwards (prevent upward recoil at elbows), leaning into it, and the support hand high up on the grip with the thumb pointed forward (pretend she's pointing at something with her thumb, instead of fingers). If you can set her body up to have the recoil drive back rather than the muzzle flip up, you can use a lot less strength to control recoil.

For the 1911, I agree pull the hammer back and then rack the slide to make it easier. I also agree that a lot of women (and men!) shoot with a lack of aggression (not exactly the term I want to use, but fair enough.) You are putting yourself in a position to control a violent reaction in a small package. Own it, don't be scared of it.

I know with me... I used to try to control recoil through strength, all it did was make me shoot sloppy groups. It wasn't until I took a step back and stopped doing things based off how I SAW and started shooting based of physics and FEELING. Unfortunately some of the subtle aspects are hard to teach someone how to do. They just have to figure it out on their own until it clicks.

Above all else though, make sure she knows she is not alone and everyone goes through something like this. It absolutely CAN be resolved with training and keep her in a forward mindset and confidence up.

Peking

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    So went shooting this weekend, took xds9 and 1911 and 22

Wife kept having FTE.s w XDS and couldn't even rack the 1911 properly

Buddy and I shot both after her and had no problems, only thing we can think of, was that she was Limp wristing the XDS

And not drawing the slide back far enough on the 1911

More worried about the xds and FTE because it's her carry. I thought about buying her one of those hand strengthening pieces, like squeezing s tennis ball.

Any advice?

sent from my cell phone, far far away but still monitored by the NSA

Get her to start riding motorcycles, all the manipulation of the clutch and brake will make the hands stronger lol. But really what about those hand grip springy things that you just squeeze to make your hands stronger?

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    My wife had problems with a Walther 9mm PPS. Almost every other round jammed upon extraction ... Turns out it was my fault, I gave her 115 grain FMJs instead of 124 or 147 grainers. That pistol likes heavy bullets. Once I sorted that out, she shot a perfect score for her CHL range qual.

Reminds me of a story.

Lady goes to a golf pro for lessons. Pro tees up the ball, and the lady takes a wild swing, digs a deep divot and the ball takes a short hop. The pro tells her to relax, keep her eye on the ball, and follow through.

Next swing, the lady repeats first swing and has another divot and a hopper. Pro whispers into her ear: "Lady, hold the club like you would your husband's shaft".

Pro sets up the next shot and the lady hits a 400 yard drive down the fairway.

Good shot lady, you can take that club out of your mouth.

Top Bottom