How to keep it ready?

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by Big country, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I have a Remington 870 Express, it is still "stock" and has a modified choke in it right now. I work a lot and My wife and I just moved out to the country (thank goodness) but some times I work an armed site that keeps me out until 1 am or so on Saturday nights. That means that the pistol is with me. I want her to have a gun handy so I put a 00 in the pipe with the safety on and a 00 as the next then a slug, 00, slug. Is leaving the 870 in condition 1 a bad Idea? Should I just leave the tube full and the chamber clear? My wife and I are the only folks who live there so I'm not worried about children or room mates or anything. I was just wondering if anyone had some thoughts or possibly the same problem. The gun is behind the bedroom door.

2. baboon

baboon Well-Known

If that's what works for you & the wife I don't see where there is a problem.

3. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    That's what I'm thinking.

4. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    It surely won't hurt the gun to be keep that way, and as long as you and your wife have trained towards simply picking it up and pushing the safety to shoot than that's fine. For me, I think it's almost as fast to rack the gun than mess with pushing the safety, but that's just what I'm more used to.

5. Jeff-Tex

Jeff-Tex Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
    I like pumps for this reason. I keep the safety off with a couple in the tube, nothing chambered. One pump and it's ready to fire, my wife also prefers it this way.

6. MadMo44Mag

MadMo44Mag TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    I'm with Navy here. Also that sound of a round being chambered is a real "OH CRAP" sound!

7. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Yeah I used to keep it loaded with an empty chamber, but for her, I just like the idea of her having that one more round. I'm just concerned about any safety issues that might pop up. I'm hoping to get her a 20 ga soon that she will be able to control a little better. I think a 20 ga with 00 and slugs should be good enough for snakes, raccoons, yotes and bad guys if the need arises. But for now the 12 will have to do.

8. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Got to watch those really light weight 20's. They kick just as hard as a non magnum 12

9. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    She liked the mossberg that she shot skeet with. It is also a little bit shorter than a 12, so a better CQ gun. But there could be problems, like you said the 00 from the 20 could be worse than the 12.

10. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I'm starting to wonder if I should just get her the little 20 and me a 181/2" or 20" barrel for my 870. That way there are choices!:devil::lolz: