• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I have a Remington 870 Express, it is still "stock" and has a modified choke in it right now. I work a lot and My wife and I just moved out to the country (thank goodness) but some times I work an armed site that keeps me out until 1 am or so on Saturday nights. That means that the pistol is with me. I want her to have a gun handy so I put a 00 in the pipe with the safety on and a 00 as the next then a slug, 00, slug. Is leaving the 870 in condition 1 a bad Idea? Should I just leave the tube full and the chamber clear? My wife and I are the only folks who live there so I'm not worried about children or room mates or anything. I was just wondering if anyone had some thoughts or possibly the same problem. The gun is behind the bedroom door.
    ARJ Defense ad

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    It surely won't hurt the gun to be keep that way, and as long as you and your wife have trained towards simply picking it up and pushing the safety to shoot than that's fine. For me, I think it's almost as fast to rack the gun than mess with pushing the safety, but that's just what I'm more used to.

Jeff-Tex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
    I like pumps for this reason. I keep the safety off with a couple in the tube, nothing chambered. One pump and it's ready to fire, my wife also prefers it this way.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Yeah I used to keep it loaded with an empty chamber, but for her, I just like the idea of her having that one more round. I'm just concerned about any safety issues that might pop up. I'm hoping to get her a 20 ga soon that she will be able to control a little better. I think a 20 ga with 00 and slugs should be good enough for snakes, raccoons, yotes and bad guys if the need arises. But for now the 12 will have to do.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Got to watch those really light weight 20's. They kick just as hard as a non magnum 12
    She liked the mossberg that she shot skeet with. It is also a little bit shorter than a 12, so a better CQ gun. But there could be problems, like you said the 00 from the 20 could be worse than the 12.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    "Patrol Ready" is preferred in my book. Clear gun. Double check. Close action, point in a safe direction and squeeze the trigger. Load mag tube with desired ammo. Stow.

This is far easier to use in an "OH SH#T" moment when the adrenaline is flowing freely. Disengaging a safety button is a fine motor skill that will be depleted with the introduction of adrenaline. Racking the action is a gross motor skill that actually gets better with the adrenaline fuel. It also gives you warning when you are the one coming in the door. You can call out or hit the floor before she is given the opportunity to meet Mr. Wilco and explain why she just killed her new hubby.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    "Patrol Ready" is preferred in my book. Clear gun. Double check. Close action, point in a safe direction and squeeze the trigger. Load mag tube with desired ammo. Stow.

This is far easier to use in an "OH SH#T" moment when the adrenaline is flowing freely. Disengaging a safety button is a fine motor skill that will be depleted with the introduction of adrenaline. Racking the action is a gross motor skill that actually gets better with the adrenaline fuel. It also gives you warning when you are the one coming in the door. You can call out or hit the floor before she is given the opportunity to meet Mr. Wilco and explain why she just killed her new hubby.
    Yeah I think that is how it will be set up from now on. I don't like that senario!!!!! And I remember what you said (now:banghead:) about the safety on the 870. I think I like the "patrol ready".

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    We keep the tube full, one in the chamber with the action open and the safety on on our 870. That way, all she has to do is rack the action shut, take off the safety and she's ready with 5 rounds of 00 buck.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    just FYI, I've had a hard time finding buckshot in 20 gauge. The only thing i can find (and I've looked online) is #3 buckshot and slugs. I just rather not use slugs.

If it were me, I'd rather have a round chambered. It is possible to not rack the pump back all the way, and it takes longer.

While I think that the sound of a shotgun racking might makes some bad guys think again, it also just sound. It won't stop a bad guy. Buckshot will.

I've read about a guy who kept shotguns on hooks over the door in closets scattered throughout the house.

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    the way i see it, if they have made their way in my house, they dont need a warning to get out, or possibly run into a room where the kids might be, at that point they are a threat and will be dealt with accordingly.

hopefully they top the stairs, and tumble or fly back down them, and land flat on their back

+1. The sound of the shotgun being racked may very well just put them even more on the defensive if they're armed. The way I see it, they broke in to a house in Texas. They KNOW there's gonna be a shotgun...lol. I mean, isn't like a state law that to be a Texan you have to have atleast one shotgun...j/k. But seriously, it may get someone to run, but I wouldn't count on it.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Cabela's had a good selection of defense 20 gauge last time I was there, but I've never seen anything larger than #2 buck. I think there wouldn't be enough pellets in 00 or 000. #2 will still do a pretty good job, clocking out at almoust 1300 FPS from a 3 inch mag shell.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I have my 12 gauge pump mag loaded but, not "racked" I have 000 buck then slug, 000 buck, slug ,000 buck repeats. I have my 1911 by my bed ready with 230 grain hp.

Top Bottom