• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    If you have studied the science behind defensive tactics, you will understand the difference between gross, fine and complex motor skills. The ability to them well increases with heart rate (wich is associated with Adrenaline). fine and complex motor skill diminish very rapidly as the heart rate increases. Gross motor skills (utilize large muscle groups) do not seem to have a max heart rate limit. As heart rate increases, the ability to complete a gross motor skill increases.

WTIM, racking the action of a pump shotgun is a gross motor skill. When you are awakened to the sound of breaking glass, your heart rate will (almost assuredly) be sky high in a matter of seconds. Manipulating a manual safety will not be easy. The same would hold true for using a key to unlock a trigger lock. These fine and complex tasks can be done IF you have trained to do so under stressful conditions. Training like a SEAL would do. Not many people here would really train that way and far fewer of our significant others would. If you want to believe that you will be able to do it, fine. Believe all you want. The reality is the human body cannot.

Why would you WANT to simply go "click, boom, thud"? Taking a human life, even one breaking into your home is VERY SERIOUS business. It should not be taken lightly. To do so will likely get you indicted in most counties. The cavalier attitude will not go over well in TDCJ.

Killing another human being is a life altering event. Killing one that did not really need killing can make you totally FUBAR. Blasting the doped up, repeat violent offender armed and intent on killing you is one thing. Killing the drunk neighbor who thought he was at his own house and his old lady had simply locked him out is quite another thing.

Racking the action is faster, easier and might prevent the need to kill. It might not prevent the killing, but you will have a morally superior position from which to stand when confronted by the Police, the DA, the community and your own conscience. But, to each his own.
    Guns International

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Update. I took it to "patrol Ready" last night and I think it will be better for my wife ands I to do it that way. And yes robocop10mm you are very right, the lack of complex motor skills in a time of extreme would only complicate the situation. And I also have to agree with high cap a little on this one to. If some one is in my house they are already a threat, and if (when) they hear the slide rack they might just get their gun out. And if I do not hear the door open or the dumb ass go back out the window it is time for a fight.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Robocop, I agree with what you are saying, but you could just as easily yell, "Get out of my @#$% house. I got a $#%^* gun, and I'll @#%^ send you to your &^#$# maker!"

(I added the $%^*'s because along with decreased motor skills, you also have increased profanity)

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Robocop, I agree with what you are saying, but you could just as easily yell, "Get out of my @#$% house. I got a $#%^* gun, and I'll @#%^ send you to your &^#$# maker!"

(I added the $%^*'s because along with decreased motor skills, you also have increased profanity)
    You are more apt to throw professionalism out the window I would think.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    when panicked, on an 870 i would think pushing a little safety button would be a lot easier than racking a shell... especially with adrenaline flowing.

the safety keeps my finger off the trigger until bang time...

i have more of a problem shooting a dog that is after me, although i would not hesitate to, the dog is TRAINED to do the things he does, a person can make their own choices, coming into my locked house is a bad choice, coming up the stairs is a really bad choice...

i will defend every person and item of property to the fullest in my house, so long as they are invited in...
    Amen! And that could be a sig line! And the thing with the safety is that it requires your brain to do more than racking the slide. It is some that is reflexive and does not require precision finger placement. Racking the slide is so instinctive, I've heard of police officers ejecting the live round in the chamber with out thinking about it. I like it to be condition 1 as well but I also want my wife to be able to get it in to action also. It is personal preference I think, I would be just fine keeping it at condition 1 if I lived alone, but with my wife there I will keep it at condition 2. I was wondering when I started this thread if there had been any AD's with the 870 while it was sitting in the corner untouched, but this is a lot more fun.....................

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    I keep my Ithaca 37 7+1 trench in patrol ready with Winchester BB for the first 2 then 00 buck for the next 5.

Got to love them old slam fire 12 gauges.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    I put 2 big j hooks in the header above the door and it sits there.
    The kid can't reach it, though she she would not try, and its in easy reach for me.

streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Gents, great discussion. I am in the market for a new shotgun (looking at the Benelli Nova Pump H20) and your thread has really sparked some good convos between my wife and I. The main convo is the training needed to react with a shotgun rather than simply with a handgun. My first thought is to get some training...then figure out where we want it...and in what condition. Thanks for the good reading!

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    What's the benefit of mixing loads (00 > slug > 00 > etc.)? It would seem to me that the inconsistent recoil as you go through the shots would be a disadvantage. Why not just load one type and let it do the job?

Honest question - I know a lot of folks do this, I've just never understood why ...

Jeff-Tex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
    What's the benefit of mixing loads (00 > slug > 00 > etc.)? It would seem to me that the inconsistent recoil as you go through the shots would be a disadvantage. Why not just load one type and let it do the job?

Honest question - I know a lot of folks do this, I've just never understood why ...

There's no real reason to mix loads if you are specifically talking self defense rounds only. Pick a round, buy a bunch of them, practice with them.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    The reason to mix rounds in a shot gun is so that you are ready to deal a variety of situations without having to reload the tube. I live in the country and could face anything from a bad guy from the highway or a yote after my dogs. with 00 buck you can only shoot so far. If the BG is not alone you may need to stop a threat outside of 00 range, with a mixed tube all you need to do is rack the slide and you have a slug ready for the job. That is the theory behind it and that is how I load it out in the boonies, if I was in a sub division I would load with 00 and leave it be.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    I mix BB and 00 buck for different reason.
    I live out in the country myself and deal with rabid feral dogs, coons, possums and the ever so often yote.

The BB does a wonderful job on rabid animals and the various poisonous snakes.
    BB also would do the job for home defense the remaining 00 buck is in case the BB only slows them down. As for the yotes I use 17hmr.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    The question from Greg_tx got me thinking, so last night I loaded it down with all 00. I got to thinking that just because I could handle the difference in the recoil doesn't mean my wife can. So I changed it, thanks for the question Greg_tx.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    It makes sense that different loads have different purposes - it's just that I'd probably have 'em in the wrong order for the situation. ;)

Jeff-Tex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Mesquite
    That's the nice thing about living out in the country, you can pretty much shoot whatever you want. No matter what the situation, 00 buckshot is a guaranteed cure. I personally stock magnum 00. There is so much lead delivery it's the most devastating round for a 12 gauge. On the weekends I go visit my buddies out in east Texas and carry a bandolier with a mix of bird, buck and slugs.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Prefer chamber clear, vice just flicking off the safety. The sound of the round entering the chamber truly does tighten up the sphincter or empty it. (I would prefer to clean up after his diaper dump then have to clean the blood off the ceiling). You can also slide a sock or band over the stock and stuff a couple extra rounds between the stock and band/sock if you figure you need extra rounds. Also, I like to mix in #4 after the 00.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Like Greg_tx said I would likely need it up close anyway and the slugs are on the stock if I need em they are just a quick load drill away.
    See, I'd be using this dilemma as a reason to buy another weapon - a rifle for varmints of whatever kind, and the shotty for short-range introductions.

Top Bottom