• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    My $.02 on the safety vs slide issue, take it for what it is worth.

Having been issued an Ithaca 37, a couple Win 1200s a few Mossberg 500s and a whole bunch of 870s over the years, and been with agencies that had a mixture of different types in the cars it is my belief that with hammer down on an empty chamber, safety off, and the mag tube loaded it does not matter what shotgun I pick up the steps to get it in action are pump the slide and pull the trigger when the dodo flies. Don't have to worry about where the slide release or safety is on the particular shotgun. Pick it up, pump and pull.

BTW, in a high stress situation pulling on the forend of an 1100 or 11-87 does nothing as one of my SGTs found out one night when he grabbed mine from the car.
    Gun Zone Deals

Stangfan93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    Got to watch those really light weight 20's. They kick just as hard as a non magnum 12

I'm starting to wonder if I should just get her the little 20 and me a 181/2" or 20" barrel for my 870. That way there are choices!

Bought my girlfriend the Rem 870 with 18" barrel, mag extenstion for 6+1 rounds total. [url]http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model_870/model_870_express_synthetic_7-round.asp[/URL] I shot it and thought to myself this thing is pretty stout. I was kind of worried that it would be to much for her. When I finally took her to shoot it I didn't let her know. I just kind of threw her out there with the gun. She never once complained. In fact she shot most of the shells we had. The reason I let her use the gun without saying anything to her is because when I first taught her to shoot all I had was a .45acp and she handles that well enough. She can also operate the 870 much better than any of my pistols.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'm not sure how I'd store it. I keep an AK with a 30 round mag loaded, empty chamber and safety off.. but when you talk about a shotgun, one round is a significant percentage of your total load! :p

I'm on the fence as to the "rack it for the noise" mentality. Yeah, it might be nice just to have whoever it is run away... then again they might come back. And sometimes I'd rather not give warning.

The only reason my AK chamber stays clear is so that my wife can figure out what she's doing in a hurry - AK safeties are a pain in the butt, that and the fact that they used handgun sights on them are the only two dislikes I have. I've got it drilled into her - "pick it up, rack it; you've got thirty tries". If it was just me, or if she was more willing to learn the way of the AK, I'd keep it hot with the safety on.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Yeah that is where I'm at with the shotgun. She is new to shooting and it would be easy for her to pick it up and pump it. But If I was the only one in the house I'd have it safety on, with a loaded chamber. I have done so much dove hunting with that gun, working the safety is permanently ingrained into my brain.

Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Im laughing a little with the multiple rounds. What wouldnt 00-2 3/4 magnum buck stop. Good lord thats alot of lead(power) coming at u over 1200 ft per second. What is it like 9 balls so 2 shots is like being hit 18 times. No matter what it is its dead. I also agrre with filling the tube and pump it when needed. There have been cops killed in shootouts because the couldnt close there slides(reloading) on there semi auto pistols due to stress. Pumping is a natural instinct. Plus even if were correct in shooting someone in our house we are looking at a min of 35,000 defending ourselves in court costs. Thats with being found not guilty. Info from Concealed Handgun Manual.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Plus even if were correct in shooting someone in our house we are looking at a min of 35,000 defending ourselves in court costs. Thats with being found not guilty. Info from Concealed Handgun Manual.
    At least you'd be alive to pay it ...

Wedge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Still think I can pump as fast as u can release the saftey. I wont have a problem finding the little button in the dark. JMO. To each his own.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    For me it's not so much about speed, but I'd rather not announce my intentions. I prefer fights where I'm the only one that gets to do any fighting... Hurts less that way.

Im laughing a little with the multiple rounds. What wouldnt 00-2 3/4 magnum buck stop. Good lord thats alot of lead(power) coming at u over 1200 ft per second. What is it like 9 balls so 2 shots is like being hit 18 times.

What, you think most of a mag from a 9mm XD(M) is enough to put a badguy or two in the ground? :p I'd have to agree.

People underestimate 00B sometimes... I just remind them that each round is the equivalent of at least half a mag from a 9mm pistol all hitting simultaneously in an area the size of a softball. Put that way, it's some formidable stuff!

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    A little off topic, but anyone got a site that has the calibers of the different kinds of buckshot?

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    Have you considered a recoil reducing stock for your wife? Something like a knox/Blackhawk stock?
    My wife's favorite shotgun is our Stoeger 20 guage side by side coach gun

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    No she can handle it she just doesn't like it! And MY shotgun is my plane Jane nothing but the stuff it came out of the box with. She's getting a mossberg 20 Ga (the one with the Pink camo furniture) soon, and that is short enough that with some buck shot she will be well armed. And we are waiting on some money coming her way, when she gets that she is getting a M&P 9mm so the shotgun will not be her primary means of defence after she learns how to operate the pistol efficiently.

Top Bottom