• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • micah7488

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Waxahachie/ San Antonio
    I am thinking of going to the local pawn shop today, around 4 or so and making a stop to see what all they currently have. I plan on solely perusing but if I happened to notice a decent .308, how can i tell if the 'gizzards' of the gun are making it worth the purchase? I just havent bought used before sides my mosin and sks and I don't want to end up buying someone's p.o.s. that they dropped off for $$$.
    Target Sports

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Look threw the barrel, take the bolt out and look from there it will give you the best view point and it is safer than the other end. Look for pitting in the barrel. Look into the mag and see how much crap is built up in there. This should get you started. Just look and see if things are rattling, wobbling, or just plain out of place from the norm. Good luck.

micah7488

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Waxahachie/ San Antonio
    thanks for the info. i went and found a remington 710 in 30-06. ima do some research to see if there are any design flaws or things to know about before i sit and think about spending 320 on it. is 320 a good price for it, also has some glass mounted (i think a burris). they also had an enfield with a scope as well for 450 but i was more intrigued by the remington. only downside was that the stock looked like the normal stocks found on savage stevens models.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The 710s had a problem with the bolt stops failing I think, if you try and cycle the bolt too fast you can pull the bolt out of the gun! Of course this is hearsay as I've never seen it happen myself, but I've heard about that same problem from many people. I would imagine that the bolt stop could be replaced with a better one as those are popular rifles. They have been since replaced by the model 770, which I would imagine you could get new for maybe $375 if you look in the right place. I know they offer them in both .308 and .30-06.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've handled a Stevens 200, it seemed like a great rifle. There are lots of rifles in your price range, some brand new designs that are very accurate. Check out Marlin XL7 and XS7 rifles as well as 100 ATR Mossbergs. Neither one is going to be a match rifle but I've heard accuracy under 1 M.O.A. is possible with ammunition each of them likes. If you handload you could get predictable sub M.O.A. One benefit the Marlins will have is a factory adjustable trigger. I'm seeing a .30-06 packaged rifle going for around $330.

Stick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    thanks for the info. i went and found a remington 710 in 30-06. ima do some research to see if there are any design flaws or things to know about before i sit and think about spending 320 on it. is 320 a good price for it, also has some glass mounted (i think a burris). they also had an enfield with a scope as well for 450 but i was more intrigued by the remington. only downside was that the stock looked like the normal stocks found on savage stevens models.

The 710 only cost 320 brand new. I bought one from Academy (got it mis-marked at 150 so I couldn't pass it up). Even at 150, the 710 is a POS throw away rifle. However, it does shoot. Just how long before the plastic magazine latch breaks is the question.

micah7488

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Waxahachie/ San Antonio
    i was at academy and they had some remington 700's in the adl series for 439. then some 700 sps for 469 and some remington 700's in the bdl for 539. what is the overall difference in those 3 lines?

Top Bottom