Venture Surplus ad

How to lubricate an AR to make it AK reliable!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    First, y'all are using the wrong materials. I know, I know... the military uses CLP, yeah yeah yeah. Well, the military is wrong. Sacrilege, I know, but nobody I know that has tried this method has had any malfunctions because of it. I do know several people who had chronic malfunctions before switching to this method who now have none. This is the better way to do it, folks.

What do I do so different? Well, first off I use grease. Moly brake grease in particular. The moly bonds to metal parts, so if it gets blown out (less likely with a grease), the parts are still lubricated. Heat doesn't affect it, it just bakes the stuff in and it works better. It's a fairly light grease, and best of all I get small range bag-sized packets of the stuff for free at work. Here's what it looks like when Mercedes provides your rifle lube (if only the krauts knew what I was using this stuff for, huh!? :p)

This packet only holds .1 ounce of grease (by weight - it's 3 grams), but is enough to lube at least four or five ARs. Also works great on pistols, AKs and Garands. That's one of the keys, to apply lightly... but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Clear your rifle, field strip it and get everything dry and clean. I'm starting with an unfired rifle, so it's already there.

Note: When I say "lubricate" I mean a thin coat. Always lubricate lightly, as too much is at least as bad as none at all.

On the bolt, you'll notice that there's a raised "collar". Lubricate it.

Lubricate the rings (after ensuring that the gaps aren't aligned).

Lubricate the cam pin, as this is a high-wear area.

Do not grease the firing pin!! This is not a load-bearing part, so do not lube it. It can actually cause slamfires, and your gun could go kaboom, destroying it and injuring you and/or those around you. Regardless of the lubricant you use on your rifle, do not lubricate the firing pin under any circumstances. If you're worried about rust, lightly oil it and then wipe once to dry. This will leave a very thin coat of oil on it to inhibit rust. Feel free to pack with grease for long-term storage, but be sure to remove all grease from the firing pin and channel before shooting.

Reassemble the bolt and carrier. Now lube the carrier. You're basically going to lube anything that's shiny, because that's a wear area. I lube the area where the hammer rides. Why not? Just go light on the grease.

Now we do the important stuff. This is where you're going to see the most improvement. There are four "rails" that contact the upper receiver. Two along either side of the gas key two on the bottom of the carrier. Lube them.

That's all you have to lube on the carrier. My friend likes to lube the lugs on the bolt, but I'm not entirely sure. I'd rather not wind up with grease in my chamber or barrel where it could cause other issues like stuck cases, but it's working for him and on a carbine the bolt lugs do take a beating. So it's up to you. I just did on my M4, but will skip it on the A2. Just remember to use minimal grease. A tiny bit of this stuff goes a looooong way.

This is a properly lubed carrier (bolt lugs not yet lubed):

What not to lube: Anything that doesn't touch. And here's a big secret - there is a lot of open space created by non-bearing areas inside an AR. This all gives dirt and dust room to go and get out of the way during operation. If you oil your bolt, these areas are going to get coated with oil, trapping crud in there. Grease stays where you put it, and you use a lot less. Soaking your bolt in CLP is actually counter-productive, as you're not leaving any room for dirt. This is one of the secrets of the AK - there is a ton of room inside the rifle, so dirt doesn't impede it too much. I've actually seen one function with a 7.62x39mm case trapped behind the bolt, that's how much open space helps.

So don't bother lubing this area, as it doesn't touch anything.

If it don't shine, don't grease it! You'll be able to see where the bearing surfaces are and aren't.

The last thing I grease is the sides of the charging handle. These things can wear out pretty fast, especially if you're like me and only grab one side of the handle. It gets worse if you've got an extended charging handle release. Basically, if it shines... grease it! Remember, I haven't even shot this rifle yet. How much more wear would this thing see without grease!?

Reassemble normally, beware that grease really sticks to hands. Latex gloves might not be a bad idea. I'm used to stained hands since I'm a mechanic, but you might not want that. Be aware that moly grease can cause eye irritation, and if you have sensitive skin any grease can irritate that.

Cycle the bolt a few times before and after, you should notice a fairly large increase in smoothness with the grease. Wheel bearing grease works fine, but is much thicker so it might be unsuitable for cold weather. I don't have any data on that, and it doesn't seem like it's something that will come up here in Texas anyway.

Lightly greasing bearing surfaces will help your rifle run better longer. Only clean when you notice accuracy dropping off, with the way grease stays put, you don't have to worry about lubricating it every couple hundred rounds anymore.
    Target Sports

Last edited by a moderator:

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    I have never had a malfunction in either one of my ARs. I have a Colt and a Bushmaster. I have fired a lot of rounds through them over the years. For the last 25 or so years I have used nothing but CLP on them.

I believe that most malfunctions in a quality AR are usually caused by bad ammo.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Mobil 1 Synthetic grease works well too if you don't mind red. I bought a DMPS AR a few years ago and when it came the BCG had oil that was practically dripping off. I had zero experience with ARs so I wiped the excess off with a cloth and took it to the range, put the magazine in and dropped the bolt, pulled the trigger and click...nothing. It was jammed up tight and I had a hell of a time getting the bolt open. Finally applied a liberal amount of oil and was good to go.

I apply the grease to the bearing surfaces of pistols too, when I'm planning to put a bunch of rounds through them.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I seldom shoot my AR-15's, choosing to throw the upper on the M-16A2 lower. I use to just oil the semi AR's, but when throwing the happy switch I use TW25B Mil-Com grease.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I can't remember the last time I oiled my AR. Also run a can on it all the time.

No jams. I guess the extra carbon acts as a lubricant.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Being around the M16/AR 15 for over 30 years and working as a lubrication professional, I'd have to say that OP is wrong on his assumptions of Molybdenum being a good choice for high heat.
    Moly is a solid film lubricant that is mainly used for extreme pressure loads, no such loads exist in a bolt group of that weapon not to mention attracking every spec of dust in the atmosphere and trapping it causing wear.

Rasputin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Cave Creek AZ
    I've been lubricating mine exactly how OP says to do ever since I read the post. AR's all work real good. I use red grease that comes in about a pint can from O'Reilly's and I use it sparingly. Thank you M. Sage

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Seven years, four months +. Could be a new record.

OH now don't take away from the former hillbilly.

Being around the M16/AR 15 for over 30 years and working as a lubrication professional, I'd have to say that OP is wrong on his assumptions of Molybdenum being a good choice for high heat.
    Moly is a solid film lubricant that is mainly used for extreme pressure loads, no such loads exist in a bolt group of that weapon not to mention attracking every spec of dust in the atmosphere and trapping it causing wear.

So what are your feelings on ballistol. I use it on all my firearms.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom