Join TexasGunTalk

How to lubricate an AR to make it AK reliable!

Discussion in 'AR15 Articles' started by M. Sage, Sep 26, 2010.

1. roadrunner

roadrunner Well-Known

Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    Does it make them automatic?

2. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Ban automatic transmission fluid!

Dad_Roman likes this.
  3. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Ban fully automatic transmissions. And limit semi-automatic transmissions to 4 gears. No one needs more than 4 to go to the grocery store.

4. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Limit horse power, nobody needs 700 horses to get to the next gas station.

Ban high capacity gas tanks! Gas tanks are fuel and if they use up their gas tank there won't be any fuel.

5. Recoil Therapy

Recoil Therapy New Member

Apr 2, 2018
    Texas
    Only fully semi-automatic.

TxStetson and ZX9RCAM like this.
  6. gshayd

gshayd Ugliest house on the block.

Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    I used CLP in the military for 28 1/2 years. Never had any malfunctions. Now if you glob it full of stuff you will have problems. As the old saying goes a little dab will do you. They make TMs for a reason. CLP keeps cleaning your gun after you have applied it. If you clean it till the bore patch come out clean then go back at a later time you will come out with a dirty patch because the CLP is still breaking the carbon down in the rifle. On my personal rifles, I use Slip 2000 EWL and SLIP Carbon Killer. The EWL doesn't seem to attract dust and the Carbon Cleaner stips it off all lubricant and a lot of carbon. Clean your rifle your way then douche till you think its clean and then douche it with carbon killer. In fact you may find some cosmoline left over after years. It also takes care of lead and works on copper. It is nonhazardous and minty fresh

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  7. Dad_Roman

Dad_Roman Well-Known TGT Supporter

Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    I like Slip 2000 EWL. I like 3-in-1 oil for basic rub down cleaning.

ATF actually has the properties that gun guys are looking for. Especially corrosion protection. (Mobil1/synthetics do not IE:wetting abilities)

Sold on Carbon Killer....have to get me some of that.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    ZX9RCAM likes this.
  8. TheDan

TheDan 4th Best Member TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    ATF is pretty good at removing carbon, too...

Darkpriest667 and Dad_Roman like this.
  9. kenboyles72

kenboyles72 Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    I have thought about using ATF and like was mentioned above, it has all the properties of a good gun lube/protectant. Next range session, might just give it a go.

10. Dad_Roman

Dad_Roman Well-Known TGT Supporter

Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Kwicky.....

Synthetics have great shear and heat resistant properties. (great for todays motors) The molecules also dont really breakdown, they just get saturated with dirt, hence the onslaught of the new oil filters that will run 5 - 10 - 12 thousand miles. Good filtration and cleanliness is the key. HOWEVER, and the important thing to ourselves, is its WETTING abilities. Synthetics tend to sheet off like a waxed car. You dont want this property in something that is protecting the inside your valuables.

Petroleum bases have fine shear, temp qualities. Just not as high as synthetics but they have extraordinary wetting abilities. (tends to stick where it lands) This is what we want in a long lasting lube/protectant.

Just a short story. No technical crap. I can post the techy crap but its not necessary.

Comments welcome. Everyone feel free to add to the knowledge base.

I still use ExtremeWeaponsGrease on the critical spots. (shear areas)

Bozz10mm likes this.