Guns International

How to lubricate an AR to make it AK reliable!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Careful with Moly lubes. It'll attract water and cause rust. As a test, I set out two bare pieces of metal. One coated with moly gun lube, the other bare. The moly one rusted it's ass off.
    20210418_131601.jpg
    20210903_223556.jpg

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Mobile 1 synthetic is good but cycling action moves it to where it isn't needed so relube often. Great for AR bolt but not for BCG. Lubriplate works great on the BCG but holds dirt so wipe it off often. It does stay where needed.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Does anyone still use Frog Lube? Remember when that was all the rage?
    I still have cleaner in a spray bottle and paste. Might have some liquid possibly, I forget. Haven't used Frog Lube products in years, but it's in my gun cleaning box.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I still have cleaner in a spray bottle and paste. Might have some liquid possibly, I forget. Haven't used Frog Lube products in years, but it's in my gun cleaning box.
    i think it was just a fadat the time heard from people that tried it out and it didn't really offer any benfits over traditional gun oils

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Don't. Froglube is junk. It's only use is for wiping down pocket knives

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    I've been using Penzoil Synthetic. Works well, and, in 5W-20, it's the same oil my truck uses.

^^ My daughter had a Volkswagen Jetta TDI diesel and had some 5w20 oil left over from an oil change, so started using that when I ran out of my usual lube. Seems to run just as well as the other high dollar lube I was using. It's easy to clean and stays put like the other lube.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    mobile one synthetic engine oil
    Engines have a pressurized oiling system, with a filter in the system, most guns do not...Maybe the 15" naval guns, but I've never seen a sump, pump, or filter on a hand held weapon.

But people use it, I'm OK with it in a pinch.
    Just think the viscosity everyone uses is too light, which is part of the reason it migrates away from where it needs to lubricate.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Careful with Moly lubes. It'll attract water and cause rust. As a test, I set out two bare pieces of metal. One coated with moly gun lube, the other bare. The moly one rusted it's ass off.
    Moly doesn't cause rust, it's what the oil it's suspended in (or lack of it).
    I've seen moly lubes in nothing but solvent, that once the solvent evaporates, there is just a dry powdery layer of moly on the part.
    Great for typewriters (does anyone still use those?), but useless on just about anything else.

BeatTheTunaUp

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Moly doesn't cause rust, it's what the oil it's suspended in (or lack of it).
    I've seen moly lubes in nothing but solvent, that once the solvent evaporates, there is just a dry powdery layer of moly on the part.
    Great for typewriters (does anyone still use those?), but useless on just about anything else.
    Sure, but what do we know they're using to suspend the moly? I was testing Smooth Kote which is a dry lube for guns and looked what happened.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Sure, but what do we know they're using to suspend the moly? I was testing Smooth Kote which is a dry lube for guns and looked what happened.
    The 'dry lube' is the give away.
    If it's oil, or grease based, it won't dry out, unless it's suspended in a cure-on base, like Tech-Line Moly, or KG Gear coatings.
    But that is a real pain in the backside, as the parts have to be abrasive blasted, sprayed, and then heat cured.
    For just occasional applications, like bolt lugs, I use a high moly content grease meant for automatic lathe chucks, and for little stuff like triggers, I use LiquidMoly (sold in some auto supply stores).

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I use a little bit of everything. I don't stick to one lube or cleaner. For my AR's I tried mixing Lucas Red & tacky grese with Mobil 1 10w30 synthetic. I didnt come up with that combo, but decided to try it. It works and the combo stays put and doesn't evaporate in between shooting sessions. I tend to run my ar's on the wet side because I don't clean them frequently, but I do keep them lubed.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

BeatTheTunaUp

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    On the drying out note. I used to use the Lucas gun oil, but it dries and evaporates. A lot of my guns may sit for a long time, and they're dry as a bone when I get around to them. Seeing better luck with Balistol. Not to mention, I usually have a cut or two on my hands the Balistol is good for it lol

Top Bottom