Join TexasGunTalk

How to lubricate an AR to make it AK reliable!

Discussion in 'AR15 Articles' started by M. Sage, Sep 26, 2010.

1. BuzzinSATX

BuzzinSATX Active Member

Dec 20, 2013
    Outside San Antonio
  2. TheDan

TheDan 4th Best Member TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It's a bit thin... It's also not good for some types of plastics and rubber. I would only put on the metal bits just to be safe.

Dad_Roman likes this.
  3. robertc1024

robertc1024 Moderator Staff Member Moderator TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Does not work with o-rings made out of silicone, natural rubber or Butadine. Works with most other normal material o-rings.

TheDan likes this.
  4. Recoil Therapy

Recoil Therapy New Member

Apr 2, 2018
    Texas
    I don't see why not. Comparing the conditions in which ATF operates, it only makes sense it would be fine for guns. Tightly engineered auto transmissions get very hot, require a high temp lube, and ATF does that job well.

5. kenboyles72

kenboyles72 Active Member

Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    I actually had to use ATF the other day. Was down shooting and hadn't cleaned my 22lr drop in kit for the AR, so it wasn't cycling well. Didn't have my cleaning box with me, so I lubed it with ATF and was good to go :D Of course this was just blow back action, no gas or heat, but it did the job.

6. wileycoyote

wileycoyote Member

after trying many lubes, i'm now using Mobile 1 20W-50 synthetic motorcycle oil

my BCGs stay wet for years and high heat doesn't make it evaporate, plus a single bottle lasts many lifetimes

deemus likes this.
  7. deemus

deemus my mama says I'm special

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Not the first one I've heard of using the stuff.

8. gshayd

gshayd Ugliest house on the block.

Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    The cleaning and lubrication of an AR would depend upon the weather of the area and how much fine dirt or sand the lubricant attracts and how much you use it. The best solution is to clean and lube them on a regular basis if you use them. If you plan on storing them to clean and lubricate for that.

9. 45tex

45tex Well-Known

Feb 1, 2009
    Back in the stone age('74), the AF would not allow us to take apart the BCG. For the most part the armors didn't either, unless there was a problem. Of 6 A1s and A2s assigned I had one that was an armory backup rust shut. Beyond that they went bang as desired. They were very dry. Cleaning was a tank of filthy solvent and brushes. Three bases three tanks all the same.
    My question is, how often do ya'll take apart the BCG in your MSR's? I'm a CLP devotee, clean everything, spray, let it seep in, and wipe down a lot. Brass brush and bore snake the barrel. Wasn't sure where to apply tiny amounts of grease, but I like the directions the the OP gave. I get a decade or so from a syringe of grease, but that was a bunch of pistols.

10. Bozz10mm

Bozz10mm TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Every time I clean the rifle, which is after every range trip.