• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    saline
    Why would you ever not want to fire the second shot.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Standard IANAL disclaimer applies.
    Well, that's not unsafe at all.
    To the best of my knowledge, it's illegal.

With the Echo binary trigger, it's easy to stop the second round. You move the selector lever from third position back to the second position or all the way to safe.

A binary trigger that has no way, other than what ScS outlined, to stop the second round from discharging produces a situation where, in normal use, one pull of the trigger *will* inevitably produce two shots. AFAIK, ATF considers that to be a two-round burst trigger and illegal.

Vin Suprinowicz (sp?) discusses this exact issue in the current issue of Firearms News. He alludes to the history of binary triggers and how they couldn't get ATF approval until units were designed that allowed just flipping a switch to stop the second shot from happening.

Someone much more knowledgeable will surely come along and make the necessary corrections to whatever I've gotten wrong.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    MICHAEL BELL
    FRANKLIN ARMORY VS ECHO BENCH REVIEW
    That search string turns up several videos, including two that are 27 minutes long and one that's 26. However, by pointing me to the exact spot in the video, I was able to see what you were talking about.

I can't thank you enough. I didn't know about that particular bit of weirdness in the way the Echo operates and that is valuable information. I tend to wonder why I haven't seen a ridiculous shortcoming like that blasted all over every review I've ever read or viewed.

ScS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    saline
    [QUObbenenglish, post: 1702461, member: 10792"]A binary trigger that has no way, other than what ScS outlined, to stop the second round from discharging produces a situation where, in normal use, one pull of the trigger *will* inevitably produce two shots. AFAIK, ATF considers that to be a two-round burst trigger and illegal.[/QUOTE]

I dont think that is the case. ATF wants one shot per operation of the trigger. One shot on pull one shot on release.
    That is two separate operations.
    The selector has more to do with not being sued
    As long as it is 2 ops it is legal

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    [QUObbenenglish, post: 1702461, member: 10792"]A binary trigger that has no way, other than what ScS outlined, to stop the second round from discharging produces a situation where, in normal use, one pull of the trigger *will* inevitably produce two shots. AFAIK, ATF considers that to be a two-round burst trigger and illegal.

I dont think that is the case. ATF wants one shot per operation of the trigger. One shot on pull one shot on release.
    That is two separate operations.
    The selector has more to do with not being sued
    As long as it is 2 ops it is legal[/QUOTE]

Can you qualify this with an atf approval letter of some form, or is it your opinion?

I ask because often times the ATF will disagree with the opinions of the progs.

ScS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    saline
    I sat in a lawyers office and read with my own eyes that as long as it fires only one shot per operation it is legal. The pull and release is considered two operations.
    Its not my opinion, it is the law as written.

ScS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    saline
    The second shot is about 1/10 of a second behind the first. I don't believe anyone will see the danger and stop in that time space.
    How about squibs. I saw a video of a guy with a wheel gun, fire 6 rounds, reload, fire the next 6 in 4 seconds.
    Had there been a squib she is gonna blow. That is the risk of rapid fire, bio trigger or not.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Not everyone feels the need to waste a round for every round fired. With that understanding there are countless reasons someone might not want to fire the second round.

ScS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    saline
    NCM_0376.JPG
    I agree. If you have one lower a home made bio is not what you want. Here are some of mine, the bio lower is the one with the red stripe on buffer tube.
    Pop a couple of pins and any one of them becomes a double tap.

ScS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    saline
    With that understanding there are countless reasons someone might not want to fire the second round.

Tell me one

Top Bottom