Target Sports

How to mess with attacker's night vision?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    If SHTF at least the people in the cities will be the first to start scrambling.

That will give us out here in rural counties some time to prepare. (People from cities will run out of supplies and start 'fanning-out' for us in the rural areas)

Livestock will be a temptation that city people cannot resist when hoards become hungry!!!!! (I will defend my goats (cabrito) for my own consumption)

Might be a good idea to read about the writings of the people in Sarajevo during the early 1990s. Most folks banded together for support.
    Things like filling butane lighters were good business.

Rural survival is different than urban survival.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I'm not a commando, nor have I ever played one on TV.

I do see where gII is coming from though - there are a lot more average joe dirts out there with budget NV, budget thermal, and high intensity IR / visibile light illuminators thanks to the flood of Chinesium. While its a remote possibility, there is still a potential that, during a zombie-level apocalypse where the thugs have become marauders, he could find himself the target of some NV / thermal equipped zombies.

Maybe a mix of IR strobes, IR flood, and the brightest white lights you can get, positioned in strategic areas to flood your potential fields of fire, as well as allow you to ID threats at a distance would be good.

Its easy to assume that NV equipped hostiles will be government lackies coming in with Bear Cats and Blackhawks to round up those who dare own a gun or not tow the approved gubmint line - but again, NV / Thermal has come down to aprice point that there are a lot of regular folk with it now too.

Wireless cameras with NV mode (backed up with powerful IR illuminators so they can do their best job) and battery-backups at the likely ingress points would be good. If possible, have them set to motion trigger, and trigger an alert to your phone or something.

Not sure how much it would reduce the throw - but you could probably put 1/2 inch plexiglas or Lexan over the IR emitters so they can't be shot out with a .22 as well. Make 'em use something louder that you'd hear, or at least get close enough to trigger the alert so they can shoot the unprotected casing or something.

Going down the MAD MAX rabbit hole - if someone were so inclined, they could probably also leave some tannerite filled containers near likely ingress points as...attention getters... for potential zombies. How / where you crafted and located such sculptures is up to your imagination. Just remember the boom is 360 degrees, so you don't want them too close to yourself/your position. Ever see the meme about the tannerite filled stuffed dog as a "doggos revenge" for the ATF? :laughing:

Honestly though - I think your rural, isolated nature works as much in your favor as it does against you. The zombies will likely take a while to get to you. They'll target your neighbors first, unless your neighbors *are* the zombies.

Making friends with the neighbors and having a loose network for information sharing and security would be a huge benefit. Lone wolves rarely survive, packs tend to thrive. If you're really worried about a pack of zombies, you need a pack of zombie hunters of your own.
    Thanks for your thoughts!

If SHTF, where I am I'll at least have some time to see it coming... Most of my neighbors are good people, mostly older than I am, and all self isolated since long before Covid. It will take SHTF to bring them out, I think.

Zombies are just Democrats, right? They would mostly have to come from the city, I can only hope they don't have a full tank of gas...

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Thanks for your thoughts!

If SHTF, where I am I'll at least have some time to see it coming... Most of my neighbors are good people, mostly older than I am, and all self isolated since long before Covid. It will take SHTF to bring them out, I think.

Zombies are just Democrats, right? They would mostly have to come from the city, I can only hope they don't have a full tank of gas...
    The gas is yours once you take em out.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    If SHTF at least the people in the cities will be the first to start scrambling.

That will give us out here in rural counties some time to prepare. (People from cities will run out of supplies and start 'fanning-out' for us in the rural areas)

Livestock will be a temptation that city people cannot resist when hoards become hungry!!!!! (I will defend my goats (cabrito) for my own consumption)

Might be a good idea to read about the writings of the people in Sarajevo during the early 1990s. Most folks banded together for support.
    Things like filling butane lighters were good business.

The greatest problem I see with banding together rural is the distance between properties... Who leaves theirs?

Rural survival is different than urban, especially when you don't plan to leave and they do...

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Someways yes but it’s not cut and dry.

What the two have in common is odds are more people will attempt to go somewhere. The population in Texas is thick even in rural areas. Plus rural areas has its criminals too; it’s druggies, illegals and losers. It’s an over crowded world. Preparing isn’t the norm even for people who live in the country. People in the country may end up feeling the need to travel for something. Especially when they feel it’s gonna be the last time they get an opportunity to get something.

In a shtf scenario I’m not going anywhere. I’ll wait for everyone else to leave and deal with the craziness. Where my property is located is a dead end. I’m building trails and planting more trees for concealment. A lot of my trails ride the road so if someone comes up the road I’ll have a better chance at getting closer to them. I also have the high ground for various means of defense...my back door to the house gives me a concealed exit to enter said trails.

I won’t hesitate to enjoy life too. If someone takes me down they are a better warrior than I. At that point I’ll be free anyway.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    The greatest problem I see with banding together rural is the distance between properties... Who leaves theirs?

Rural survival is different than urban, especially when you don't plan to leave and they do...
    It's weird to me always reading about 'bug-out'. It must be an urban thing because I guess they intend to 'bug-in' to where I am??

I am already where I need to be. Some of my neighbors have 4 or 5 acres and some have a few hundred.(there are some scattered ranches with thousands of acres) It would be harder to protect the area when it is so spread out.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Living outside Odessa isn't pretty, but it does have it's perks. The back side of the property is protected by mesquite and rattlesnakes. The front is clear for about 75 yards to the road. Good luck sneaking up.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    It's weird to me always reading about 'bug-out'. It must be an urban thing because I guess they intend to 'bug-in' to where I am??

I am already where I need to be. Some of my neighbors have 4 or 5 acres and some have a few hundred.(there are some scattered ranches with thousands of acres) It would be harder to protect the area when it is so spread out.
    Exactly the problem... While some urban preppers may own a bugout location, others just plan to head out some direction and either hope they can find some unused ground or take some from somebody else.

While you and I are spending our time and money on gardens, livestock and feed, and backup power, that 2nd kind are spending their money on guns and maybe on tech. That kind may bring some preps with them, but they will be short on food and necessities and long on arms...

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Someways yes but it’s not cut and dry.

What the two have in common is odds are more people will attempt to go somewhere. The population in Texas is thick even in rural areas. Plus rural areas has its criminals too; it’s druggies, illegals and losers. It’s an over crowded world. Preparing isn’t the norm even for people who live in the country. People in the country may end up feeling the need to travel for something. Especially when they feel it’s gonna be the last time they get an opportunity to get something.

In a shtf scenario I’m not going anywhere. I’ll wait for everyone else to leave and deal with the craziness. Where my property is located is a dead end. I’m building trails and planting more trees for concealment. A lot of my trails ride the road so if someone comes up the road I’ll have a better chance at getting closer to them. I also have the high ground for various means of defense...my back door to the house gives me a concealed exit to enter said trails.

I won’t hesitate to enjoy life too. If someone takes me down they are a better warrior than I. At that point I’ll be free anyway.
    Yeah, I keep some cash for a last minute emergency purchases, but reality is, if something serious happens, I sure wouldn't go further than my nearest little local community, and probably not there either.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom