How to mess with attacker's night vision?

gll

Well-Known
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 22, 2016
Me too. I listed multiple defensive options.

They may seem overboard, but considering the issue you are worrying about it seems going all out is the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was thinking keep costs to a minimum and tech to things I can use for other purposes. But hey, thanks for contributing!

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sep 27, 2017
Boerne
I was thinking keep costs to a minimum and tech to things I can use for other purposes. But hey, thanks for contributing!

What you probably need to do is start with a realistic threat assessment, not worries. That should include most likely and most dangerous threats and how to mitigate from most effective to least.

Then look at where those bubbles intersect with most versatile.

gll

Well-Known
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 22, 2016
What you probably need to do is start with a realistic threat assessment, not worries. That should include most likely and most dangerous threats and how to mitigate from most effective to least.

Then look at where those bubbles intersect with most versatile.
I did that and came up with attacks at night that can defeat the advantage of darkness by using NV being the one I am least prepared for...

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sep 27, 2017
Boerne
I did that and came up with attacks at night that can defeat the advantage of darkness by using NV being the one I am least prepared for...

Q: Why would you/your land be a target? What’s the bait, so to speak?

ETA: It’s not very likely for any criminal to seek out an occupied structure to enter.

gll

Well-Known
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 22, 2016
Q: Why would you/your land be a target? What’s the bait, so to speak?

ETA: It’s not very likely for any criminal to seek out an occupied structure to enter.
What does that have to do with how to mess with attacker's night vision?

Or to put it another way, when did I make that your business?

As I mentioned above, I'm not really concerned for now, but for what may come in the future, SHTF and WROL.

If it makes you more receptive, think of it as just a thought experiment. NV is a serious force multiplier, how can you mitigate that advantage.There is a lot out there about how to use NV for advantage, but not much about how to defeat it...

Any more ideas?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sep 27, 2017
Boerne
What does that have to do with how to mess with attacker's night vision?
Nothing. I’m questioning your threat assessment.

How likely is it that you will face an NOD-equipped adversary?

That is a huge part of a threat assessment. Having been on the offensive side if NOD ops before, the first thing I want decide is whether the NOD advantage is worth it or not. That takes into account things like available natural illumination or will I need artificial illum. IR v thermal considerations, counter-countermeasures. Target pattern of life.

Everything is assessed before deciding the ounces are worth the pounds.

rotor

TGT Addict
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nov 1, 2015
Wichita Falls
So, hypothetically let's say you are being attacked by a hoard of attackers with NV and you figure out how to disable their NV. What would be your plan then? Are you planning on hiding, running, shooting, or what? I think the really bad scenario is thermal more so than NV. If it comes to this, they may be in helicopters too and bad things will happen.

gll

Well-Known
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 22, 2016
Nothing. I’m questioning your threat assessment.

How likely is it that you will face an NOD-equipped adversary?

That is a huge part of a threat assessment. Having been on the offensive side if NOD ops before, the first thing I want decide is whether the NOD advantage is worth it or not. That takes into account things like available natural illumination or will I need artificial illum. IR v thermal considerations, counter-countermeasures. Target pattern of life.

Everything is assessed before deciding the ounces are worth the pounds.
Lots of people are buying NV these days, some of it may not be worth a shit, and some of the people who have it may not really know how to use it. In a SHTF scenario, chances are it would be one of those classes that would want what I have. Or, it could be someone Krieger class...

Reality says I probably bite the dust either way, or maybe I get lucky... What can I do to improve my luck?

gll

Well-Known
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 22, 2016
So, hypothetically let's say you are being attacked by a hoard of attackers with NV and you figure out how to disable their NV. What would be your plan then? Are you planning on hiding, running, shooting, or what? I think the really bad scenario is thermal more so than NV. If it comes to this, they may be in helicopters too and bad things will happen.
What if it's not a hoard, just one or two trying to take advantage of the night and my supposed vulnerability? What if they aren't pros, but just a couple assholes trying to take what I have like assholes do? What if they don't have thermal, but just gen 3 NV and they aren't government trained? assassins?

I'm on a gun forum, so naturally my first instinct is to shoot... running and hiding is what I do if that doesn't work out and I'm still alive...

rotor

TGT Addict
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nov 1, 2015
Wichita Falls
What if it's not a hoard, just one or two trying to take advantage of the night and my supposed vulnerability? What if they aren't pros, but just a couple assholes trying to take what I have like assholes do? What if they don't have thermal, but just gen 3 NV and they aren't government trained? assassins?

I'm on a gun forum, so naturally my first instinct is to shoot... running and hiding is what I do if that doesn't work out and I'm still alive...
In that case I would have a good thermal scope mounted on my rifle. Hard to hide from thermal. I should mention I have a thermal scope mounted on one of my rifles.

Products discussed on TGT

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Every Day Man
Shroud

Latest posts