How to mess with attacker's night vision?

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Aug 2, 2008
North Texas
This has got to be the dumbest thread that I've ever read. I don't ever recall any thief / thieves that use NV to break into someone's property.
The OP's watching too many Hollywood movies!

If someone has acquired enough stuff in there life worthy of a professional thief / thieves to want to steal, then they most likely have enough worth to invest in a high quality security system in and around the property to try and change a thief's trouble of trying to steal it in the first place.
If your local meth head comes to your property looking for his next score, I'll guarantee he isn't going to be using any NV equipment.

gll

Well-Known
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 22, 2016
In that case I would have a good thermal scope mounted on my rifle. Hard to hide from thermal. I should mention I have a thermal scope mounted on one of my rifles.
I don't have 3, 5 or 10k dollars to buy thermal. Thermal is out of reach for many people, I would think...

As a thermal owner, what measures do you think could be used by your victim to reduce it's effectiveness before you spot him? You are on ground and around structures unfamilar to you, he is not.

gll

Well-Known
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan 22, 2016
This has got to be the dumbest thread that I've ever read. I don't ever recall any thief / thieves that use NV to break into someone's property.
The OP's watching too many Hollywood movies!

If someone has acquired enough stuff in there life worthy of a professional thief / thieves to want to steal, then they most likely have enough worth to invest in a high quality security system in and around the property to try and change a thief's trouble of trying to steal it in the first place.
If your local meth head comes to your property looking for his next score, I'll guarantee he isn't going to be using any NV equipment.
SHTF and WROL could change everything almost overnight...

Glenn B

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Sep 5, 2019
Texarkana Area
SHTF and WROL could change everything almost overnight...
So might the ROL change everything in an instant. In other worlds, lawmen could be coming to your place to arrest you and they may well wear night vision devices. Let's get real here and take ourselves out of manly men's fantasy mode for a moment; about the only folks I can imagine coming to your isolated rural location wearing night vision would be law enforcement for whatever reason. Junkies, ANTIFA, BLM, thieves, home invaders, illegal aliens, mother rapers and even father rapers (from the Group W bench) may all attack (even all at once) but seem unlikely to target such a place while wearing NV devices. Still though, you never know - they may come wearing NV and other high tech. Of course, it also could be the Russians or Red Chinese coming to your place, and they probably would wear NV just like in the movies:rolleyes:. In that case, to defeat the IR you may want to mud up:

CyberWolf

TGT Supporter
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aug 22, 2018
US
I don't have 3, 5 or 10k dollars to buy thermal. Thermal is out of reach for many people, I would think...

As a thermal owner, what measures do you think could be used by your victim to reduce it's effectiveness before you spot him? You are on ground and around structures unfamilar to you, he is not.

As to the first comment - you'd be correct as far as "high-end" Thermal costs, but might be surprised at what can be found on the cheap.

Also, (just a guess) while shops that sell Trijicon, L3, etc. likely have good security and very limited access to inventory; employee theft is an issue for many of the bigger "box stores", some of whom carry the lower/mid range thermal scopes/scanners...

For the second question, I'm going to be much more circumspect, but think about inherent limitations - as just a single, simple example: glass (i.e. windows/windshields, etc.) are transparent to NV, but fully opaque (or even reflective) to Thermal.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oct 1, 2014
San Antonio, Texas USA
Night vision is not needed if you pick a clear night, mostly full moon.

Eight years ago, I spent a week alone in a large very remote cabin that had been burgled several times. My worry about nighttime intruders was not about their night vision but whether there was two or more coming from different directions. Multiple intruders are a tremendous force multiplier.

cycleguy2300

Well-Known
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Mar 19, 2010
Austin, Texas

You can get good, hunting quality thermal for less than 2k.

Thermal doesn't replace near-IR NV, but it is a HUGE asset.

And flooding the area with IR would just mean someone with NV would find a way to cut power before approaching might slow them down 5 minutes if they have to walk back to the truck to get a 22 so they can shoot out an insulator or two.

Hostiles with NV are just hostiles. Maintain a position of advantage and maintain your egress. NV still requires your movement, shape, shadow etc to be recognized for you to be targeted. The basics of concealment still apply, but your colors (apparent colors) don't work the same as in white light.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Products discussed on TGT

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Every Day Man
Shroud