Capitol Armory ad

How to mess with attacker's night vision?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    You wont be able to see IR floodlights at night without NODS, so you can leave em on all the time and still be able to sleep, but anyone looking at your place with NODS will be blinded. Also, when you look out with nightvision, everything will be well lit.
    I already have that to a degree from my security cameras, but the IR could be much brighter! IR panels aren't hugely expensive...

What nightvision can I afford that would work with that?
    Hurley's Gold

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Just build a 12’ wall around the place topped with concertina wire and a deep pit on the back side to break the legs of anyone who manages to fall on your side.

Keep a few hungry mountain lions on the place and maybe a couple of large, grumpy alligators.

Make sure to dig well camouflaged foxholes foxholes with grenade sumps connected by tunnels. Preferably with easily removable supports to allow the any tunnel to be collapsed if needed.

I mean, sounds like you’re preparing for war. May as well do it right. Probably take a few lessons from the VietCong also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Just build a 12’ wall around the place topped with concertina wire and a deep pit on the back side to break the legs of anyone who manages to fall on your side.

Keep a few hungry mountain lions on the place and maybe a couple of large, grumpy alligators.

Make sure to dig well camouflaged foxholes foxholes with grenade sumps connected by tunnels. Preferably with easily removable supports to allow the any tunnel to be collapsed if needed.

I mean, sounds like you’re preparing for war. May as well do it right. Probably take a few lessons from the VietCong also.

I was thinking self-defense, at night, against attackers with NV...

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    The title of this thread caused me to think it was about my NV worry. I figure shooting my .357 revolver once at a nighttime intruder would leave me blind from the flash.
    There is that to consider...

Close one eye to save it?

Dead Roman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    Pearland
    I already have that to a degree from my security cameras, but the IR could be much brighter! IR panels aren't hugely expensive...

What nightvision can I afford that would work with that?

There is only 1 form of night vision that is worth looking at. How much do you know about night vision?

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US

As funny as this sounds, I tend to agree - in principle, at least....

(sticking to considerations already discussed in-thread)

Someone please correct me if I'm missing something important here (seriously, please tell me...)

All of the aforementioned 'lighting systems', either IR, visible light, or layered (which are all excellent suggestions, btw), depend on one or more of the following assumptions being true:

1. Inbound hostiles will be detered by lack of surprise/visibility; or,

2. For 'triggered' lights (assuming timely detection/activation), the expected response is suprise/retreat;

AND

3. There is sufficient capability to project force within the confines and/or geography in question, should lighting fail to serve as a deterrent. Ideally, both active/fixed defenses could (should) be combined with aforementioned lighting solution(s) for opimal effect.

You can begin outlining different scenarios, then start accounting for them in order of scenario likelihood and applicable fortification costs/effectiveness...

Reactions: gll

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Me too. I listed multiple defensive options.

They may seem overboard, but considering the issue you are worrying about it seems going all out is the answer.

I was thinking keep costs to a minimum and tech to things I can use for other purposes. But hey, thanks for contributing!

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I was thinking keep costs to a minimum and tech to things I can use for other purposes. But hey, thanks for contributing!

What you probably need to do is start with a realistic threat assessment, not worries. That should include most likely and most dangerous threats and how to mitigate from most effective to least.

Then look at where those bubbles intersect with most versatile.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    What you probably need to do is start with a realistic threat assessment, not worries. That should include most likely and most dangerous threats and how to mitigate from most effective to least.

Then look at where those bubbles intersect with most versatile.
    I did that and came up with attacks at night that can defeat the advantage of darkness by using NV being the one I am least prepared for...

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I did that and came up with attacks at night that can defeat the advantage of darkness by using NV being the one I am least prepared for...

Q: Why would you/your land be a target? What’s the bait, so to speak?

ETA: It’s not very likely for any criminal to seek out an occupied structure to enter.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Q: Why would you/your land be a target? What’s the bait, so to speak?

ETA: It’s not very likely for any criminal to seek out an occupied structure to enter.
    What does that have to do with how to mess with attacker's night vision?

Or to put it another way, when did I make that your business?

As I mentioned above, I'm not really concerned for now, but for what may come in the future, SHTF and WROL.

If it makes you more receptive, think of it as just a thought experiment. NV is a serious force multiplier, how can you mitigate that advantage.There is a lot out there about how to use NV for advantage, but not much about how to defeat it...

Any more ideas?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    What does that have to do with how to mess with attacker's night vision?
    Nothing. I’m questioning your threat assessment.

How likely is it that you will face an NOD-equipped adversary?

That is a huge part of a threat assessment. Having been on the offensive side if NOD ops before, the first thing I want decide is whether the NOD advantage is worth it or not. That takes into account things like available natural illumination or will I need artificial illum. IR v thermal considerations, counter-countermeasures. Target pattern of life.

Everything is assessed before deciding the ounces are worth the pounds.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    So, hypothetically let's say you are being attacked by a hoard of attackers with NV and you figure out how to disable their NV. What would be your plan then? Are you planning on hiding, running, shooting, or what? I think the really bad scenario is thermal more so than NV. If it comes to this, they may be in helicopters too and bad things will happen.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Nothing. I’m questioning your threat assessment.

How likely is it that you will face an NOD-equipped adversary?

That is a huge part of a threat assessment. Having been on the offensive side if NOD ops before, the first thing I want decide is whether the NOD advantage is worth it or not. That takes into account things like available natural illumination or will I need artificial illum. IR v thermal considerations, counter-countermeasures. Target pattern of life.

Everything is assessed before deciding the ounces are worth the pounds.
    Lots of people are buying NV these days, some of it may not be worth a shit, and some of the people who have it may not really know how to use it. In a SHTF scenario, chances are it would be one of those classes that would want what I have. Or, it could be someone Krieger class...

Reality says I probably bite the dust either way, or maybe I get lucky... What can I do to improve my luck?

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    So, hypothetically let's say you are being attacked by a hoard of attackers with NV and you figure out how to disable their NV. What would be your plan then? Are you planning on hiding, running, shooting, or what? I think the really bad scenario is thermal more so than NV. If it comes to this, they may be in helicopters too and bad things will happen.
    What if it's not a hoard, just one or two trying to take advantage of the night and my supposed vulnerability? What if they aren't pros, but just a couple assholes trying to take what I have like assholes do? What if they don't have thermal, but just gen 3 NV and they aren't government trained? assassins?

I'm on a gun forum, so naturally my first instinct is to shoot... running and hiding is what I do if that doesn't work out and I'm still alive...

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    What if it's not a hoard, just one or two trying to take advantage of the night and my supposed vulnerability? What if they aren't pros, but just a couple assholes trying to take what I have like assholes do? What if they don't have thermal, but just gen 3 NV and they aren't government trained? assassins?

I'm on a gun forum, so naturally my first instinct is to shoot... running and hiding is what I do if that doesn't work out and I'm still alive...
    In that case I would have a good thermal scope mounted on my rifle. Hard to hide from thermal. I should mention I have a thermal scope mounted on one of my rifles.

Top Bottom