Military Camp

How to mess with attacker's night vision?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    This has got to be the dumbest thread that I've ever read. I don't ever recall any thief / thieves that use NV to break into someone's property.
    The OP's watching too many Hollywood movies!

If someone has acquired enough stuff in there life worthy of a professional thief / thieves to want to steal, then they most likely have enough worth to invest in a high quality security system in and around the property to try and change a thief's trouble of trying to steal it in the first place.
    If your local meth head comes to your property looking for his next score, I'll guarantee he isn't going to be using any NV equipment.
    DK Firearms

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    In that case I would have a good thermal scope mounted on my rifle. Hard to hide from thermal. I should mention I have a thermal scope mounted on one of my rifles.
    I don't have 3, 5 or 10k dollars to buy thermal. Thermal is out of reach for many people, I would think...

As a thermal owner, what measures do you think could be used by your victim to reduce it's effectiveness before you spot him? You are on ground and around structures unfamilar to you, he is not.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    This has got to be the dumbest thread that I've ever read. I don't ever recall any thief / thieves that use NV to break into someone's property.
    The OP's watching too many Hollywood movies!

If someone has acquired enough stuff in there life worthy of a professional thief / thieves to want to steal, then they most likely have enough worth to invest in a high quality security system in and around the property to try and change a thief's trouble of trying to steal it in the first place.
    If your local meth head comes to your property looking for his next score, I'll guarantee he isn't going to be using any NV equipment.
    SHTF and WROL could change everything almost overnight...

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    SHTF and WROL could change everything almost overnight...
    So might the ROL change everything in an instant. In other worlds, lawmen could be coming to your place to arrest you and they may well wear night vision devices. Let's get real here and take ourselves out of manly men's fantasy mode for a moment; about the only folks I can imagine coming to your isolated rural location wearing night vision would be law enforcement for whatever reason. Junkies, ANTIFA, BLM, thieves, home invaders, illegal aliens, mother rapers and even father rapers (from the Group W bench) may all attack (even all at once) but seem unlikely to target such a place while wearing NV devices. Still though, you never know - they may come wearing NV and other high tech. Of course, it also could be the Russians or Red Chinese coming to your place, and they probably would wear NV just like in the movies:rolleyes:. In that case, to defeat the IR you may want to mud up:

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    I don't have 3, 5 or 10k dollars to buy thermal. Thermal is out of reach for many people, I would think...

As a thermal owner, what measures do you think could be used by your victim to reduce it's effectiveness before you spot him? You are on ground and around structures unfamilar to you, he is not.

As to the first comment - you'd be correct as far as "high-end" Thermal costs, but might be surprised at what can be found on the cheap.

Also, (just a guess) while shops that sell Trijicon, L3, etc. likely have good security and very limited access to inventory; employee theft is an issue for many of the bigger "box stores", some of whom carry the lower/mid range thermal scopes/scanners...

For the second question, I'm going to be much more circumspect, but think about inherent limitations - as just a single, simple example: glass (i.e. windows/windshields, etc.) are transparent to NV, but fully opaque (or even reflective) to Thermal.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Night vision is not needed if you pick a clear night, mostly full moon.

Eight years ago, I spent a week alone in a large very remote cabin that had been burgled several times. My worry about nighttime intruders was not about their night vision but whether there was two or more coming from different directions. Multiple intruders are a tremendous force multiplier.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas

You can get good, hunting quality thermal for less than 2k.

Thermal doesn't replace near-IR NV, but it is a HUGE asset.

And flooding the area with IR would just mean someone with NV would find a way to cut power before approaching might slow them down 5 minutes if they have to walk back to the truck to get a 22 so they can shoot out an insulator or two.

Hostiles with NV are just hostiles. Maintain a position of advantage and maintain your egress. NV still requires your movement, shape, shadow etc to be recognized for you to be targeted. The basics of concealment still apply, but your colors (apparent colors) don't work the same as in white light.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Lots of people are buying NV these days, some of it may not be worth a shit, and some of the people who have it may not really know how to use it. In a SHTF scenario, chances are it would be one of those classes that would want what I have. Or, it could be someone Krieger class...

Reality says I probably bite the dust either way, or maybe I get lucky... What can I do to improve my luck?
    Personal opinion, you need to find people with whom to hang together with rather than individually... I for one, looking at the OP, would NOT presume all NV navigators on a relative's property at night are there to harm me. If SHTF stuff happens, there may be smart people trying to reposition or emplace themselves strategically and they may need to cross other people's property lines in order to do so. I'd probably want to be somewhat cautious about who I trusted, but I wouldn't be wanting to go out of my way to gather their attention, either, which excessive countermeasures might trigger.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area

Dense non-thermal stuff, that also makes it easier for them to get a lot closer to you undetected by other means. See if you can find someone who uses thermal for roof inspections or such and see if you can get them to come play with their equipment on your place...

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I asked this question in one of Krieger's deleted threads. It may not be of interest to many, but I rate NV as a serious threat to my position in a WROL or SHTF situation. Anybody using NV to navigate my property is an enemy.

I'm rural, isolated, and alone. My best defense is that few know my situation, but a lot of that could be overcome by using Maps and GPS. My house and property is largely indefensible. My best bet under any attack would be to use my better knowledge of my situation to counter attack. One of my chief concerns is that any attack might come at night with the attackers fully equipped with NV.

I've looked into night vision quite a bit, but am certainly no expert, since I have no experience. I find all NV that seems really useful to be well beyond my means, therefore, my focus shifts to how to decrease the effectiveness of my attackers night vision.

I wonder if flooding the area around my house with IR is a any defense?

I already have four security cameras, and a number of motion activated driveway alarms to notify me of intrusion; the security cameras emit IR at night...

I'm thinking other IR emitters, some remote controlled, and trail cams in the same positions as my driveway alarms might serve to confuse attackers, giving me that extra second.

Anybody have any thoughts other than that I am paranoid?
    I would be more worried about the average deer hunter laying out a few hundred meters and gut shooting me during the day while I feed. Night time they have to come to me where NV is not going to be an asset.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    Has anyone mentioned strobe lights (HID/LED)? Does "deer in the headlights" tell you anything. Better than just high lumin single use do a auto on/off switch in the incoming direction. What could be a defense is an auto darkening welders helmet with a lighter shade than 13. Maybe an 8?

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I'm not a commando, nor have I ever played one on TV.

I do see where gII is coming from though - there are a lot more average joe dirts out there with budget NV, budget thermal, and high intensity IR / visibile light illuminators thanks to the flood of Chinesium. While its a remote possibility, there is still a potential that, during a zombie-level apocalypse where the thugs have become marauders, he could find himself the target of some NV / thermal equipped zombies.

Maybe a mix of IR strobes, IR flood, and the brightest white lights you can get, positioned in strategic areas to flood your potential fields of fire, as well as allow you to ID threats at a distance would be good.

Its easy to assume that NV equipped hostiles will be government lackies coming in with Bear Cats and Blackhawks to round up those who dare own a gun or not tow the approved gubmint line - but again, NV / Thermal has come down to aprice point that there are a lot of regular folk with it now too.

Wireless cameras with NV mode (backed up with powerful IR illuminators so they can do their best job) and battery-backups at the likely ingress points would be good. If possible, have them set to motion trigger, and trigger an alert to your phone or something.

Not sure how much it would reduce the throw - but you could probably put 1/2 inch plexiglas or Lexan over the IR emitters so they can't be shot out with a .22 as well. Make 'em use something louder that you'd hear, or at least get close enough to trigger the alert so they can shoot the unprotected casing or something.

Going down the MAD MAX rabbit hole - if someone were so inclined, they could probably also leave some tannerite filled containers near likely ingress points as...attention getters... for potential zombies. How / where you crafted and located such sculptures is up to your imagination. Just remember the boom is 360 degrees, so you don't want them too close to yourself/your position. Ever see the meme about the tannerite filled stuffed dog as a "doggos revenge" for the ATF? :laughing:

Honestly though - I think your rural, isolated nature works as much in your favor as it does against you. The zombies will likely take a while to get to you. They'll target your neighbors first, unless your neighbors *are* the zombies.

Making friends with the neighbors and having a loose network for information sharing and security would be a huge benefit. Lone wolves rarely survive, packs tend to thrive. If you're really worried about a pack of zombies, you need a pack of zombie hunters of your own.

Reactions: gll

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I would be more worried about the average deer hunter laying out a few hundred meters and gut shooting me during the day while I feed. Night time they have to come to me where NV is not going to be an asset.
    Gut shooting folks takes them out of the fight short term, stinks, is messy, and painful, but leaves them conscious for while... all good things for the shooter and bad for the target or his buddies.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Top Bottom