How to move a heavy gun safe

Discussion in 'Articles & How-Tos' started by picker, Jun 11, 2015.

1. TheDan

TheDan DEPLORABLE TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I moved my nearly 700lb safe by myself with a regular heavy duty dolly. I only had to go up one step and accomplished that with a very sketchy application of a farm jack. Having one of those stair climbing dolly would have been much better, lol...

The scariest part was after winching it out of the pickup. Had it laying on it's back, let it slide down the tailgate so it was resting on the floor and leaning against the truck. Put the truck in reverse to push it upright. Pucker factor happened when I thought it was going to rock onto it's face, but it managed to land upright :laughing:

This is the reason why I think it's better to have multiple smaller safes instead of one giant one.

2. AZ Refugee

AZ Refugee Member

Sep 23, 2014
    I use several short pieces of 3/4" pvc pipe and roll it on that. Used a come-a-long to winch it up the ramp of my trailer on the same pipe rollers. fortunately did not hade to negotiate any stairs.

3. Burke

Burke Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Azle
    I used furniture dolleys outside with boards to raise it to the height I needed to let the golf balls take over once I got it past the step into the house... I believe they are a better option than the PVC pipe idea, only because you can manipulate it in any direction you want with ease.

4. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

Did you buy a safe??

5. Sugar Land

Sugar Land Moderator Moderator TGT Supporter

Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    Call the safe moving guys.

6. TX69

TX69 TGT Addict

Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    TURN OFF THE GAY ASS MUSIC!!!! Wtf is with people adding so much of this horrid music to their videos?!

7. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

Yep, I had mine delivered, lol.

No reply from Scott?

8. locke_n_load

locke_n_load Well-Known

Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    PVC pipe or circular tubing, then some good ratcheting straps to get into the back of the truck. It's a pretty quiet method too, the homeowner never even knew I was there!

9. Davetex

Davetex TGT Addict

Mar 27, 2010
    Pflugerville
    Yeah, I used 3/4" PVC and rolled it through the house. Pretty easy really.

10. XinTX

XinTX Well-Known

Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Guy who moved safes told me this is what he did. He'd go buy old range balls. Once the balls are under it, it moves with ease. Just need a helper to keep sweeping balls under it. Tough going over carpet, but it still works. Over a hard floor, it glides.

Guy who installed mine had a special dolly/hand truck that would roll and change direction easily. I helped spot him going through one real tight spot, but he moved it and installed it himself.